I took in a stray that is pregnant. How much do I feed and what?

Lahasa01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have only had her for 3 days, I could not leave her out in the cold. I live in Southern Ohio. I bought soft ( adult ) and hard ( kitten ) food she is favoring the soft. I will not take her to the vet until after the kittens are born which I believe will be soon, and with her size I believe it will be a litter of at least 6. What are the best things to keep her calories up? Also in Pike Co. Ohio there is no Help to get cats spayed or neutered, does anyone know of anyway to get help?

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could try mixing some kitten kibble in her wet food. Try calling your closest Humane Society for spay/neuter resources. Also, call some vets in town and explain to them what the situation is and that she is a stray, they may give you a discount. If you can, go ahead and schedule mom's spay when the kittens are 6-8 weeks old and at that same visit she can get combo tested and vaccinations. You do not necessarily need to take her to the vet before that unless there is a problem.
There may be a mobile unit that comes to your town at certain times: Columbus Dog Connection

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lahasa01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She gave birth in my closet, even though I set up a wonderful place for her LOL , 4 beautiful little kittens. Now the hard part. I called the Vet asking when I should start deworming and she stated " If I don't see any worms she is fine ". I told her" it's not like I go digging through the litter box looking for them". So when should I start deworming?

Last edited by a moderator:

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kittens are very small in comparison to a grown cat in terms of weight or mass. So they are much more sensitive to drugs and chemicals. It's why they don't do surgery on them until the reach a certain weight. I would just leave them alone and let them grow (the kittens). Worry about things like that when they get bigger so you don't accidentally over-medicate them. I have had a bunch of kittens now and they thrive just fine with providing them just the basics, food shelter, protection and a watchful mom. Sometimes the less you do when they are tiny the better.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When everyone is at least eight weeks old and vetted for vaccines, set up for spays and neuters, they will be dewormed. Enjoy your kittens! :)