I Thought Cats Were Aloof And Don't Care About Their Humans?

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I've had a cat for about a year now, my first one, and I must say the experience of actually having one is completely different than the general stereotypes of what cats are like in the world. Like my understanding was they just kind of always do their own thing, rarely associate with you and don't really want much to do with you unless needing food or something. Well I don't know if I have an abnormal cat but my cat seems to really love me a lot. Whenever I come home he's at the door meowing his head off, follows me around all over, lays on my head if I take a nap licking my hair and snuggling into my head and just seems really social actually. He also loves to play. It's like the opposite of what I expected really and it's been a really wonderful surprise I've developed a strong bond with him and he seems to know my daily routine perfectly. He also doesn't seem to take to other people much and just wants to be around me all the time. I don't know is this abnormal or are cats just different than the stereotype?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahaha you are mistaken! I think a lot of people without cats go to friends homes and their cats don't really care for intruders and keep to themselves because they don't know you. That is where they form this opinon. Where as many dogs come running and barking and want all the attention. Of course there are always exceptions. Our own cats love us!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Aww! Your cat sounds like the purrfect companion! It is definitely the stereotype that cats are aloof and don’t interact much with their humans. Actually though, although all cats are individuals, they are very loving and playful, especially with their own family. My Charlie always greets me at the door and is very affectionate and loves playing interactive games!

rkmerley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I've had a cat for about a year now, my first one, and I must say the experience of actually having one is completely different than the general stereotypes of what cats are like in the world. Like my understanding was they just kind of always do their own thing, rarely associate with you and don't really want much to do with you unless needing food or something. Well I don't know if I have an abnormal cat but my cat seems to really love me a lot. Whenever I come home he's at the door meowing his head off, follows me around all over, lays on my head if I take a nap licking my hair and snuggling into my head and just seems really social actually. He also loves to play. It's like the opposite of what I expected really and it's been a really wonderful surprise I've developed a strong bond with him and he seems to know my daily routine perfectly. He also doesn't seem to take to other people much and just wants to be around me all the time. I don't know is this abnormal or are cats just different than the stereotype?
If that is abnormal, my cat(s) are abnormal too. My oldest one would sit outside the front door (when she knows i'm almost finished work) and WAIT for me. She is a little strict, maybe a lap cat for all but 4 seconds, but she'll meow and sing to you like no tomorrow. Cats have many various personalities as I have witnessed, they are strong beautiful creatures, some may tug at your heart strings, will play and laugh up a storm and some may want nothing to do with you... I think that's the best thing about them! Various, beautiful, intricate personalities and they're soft too!

My whole family thought the same way you did... until we got Callie (out of my forever wish). Now they're cat people like you and me!

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. In my experience cats are friendly, loving, social little creatures. I never understood the stereotype of being aloof.
Just curious, but with your previous notion about cats, what made you decide to get one?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I recently read a book that suggested that unlike dogs, cats domesticated themselves by simply hanging out around homesteads and pawing their way into the human's lives. So not sure why cats got the reputation of being aloof when they themselves decided to live with us humans.

Here's a website with more info on cat domestication:
A Brief History of House Cats | History | Smithsonian

And an excerpt:
“We think what happened is that the cats sort of domesticated themselves,” Carlos Driscoll, one of the study authors, told the Washington Post. The cats invited themselves in, and over time, as people favored cats with more docile traits, certain cats adapted to this new environment, producing the dozens of breeds of house cats known today. In the United States, cats are the most popular house pet, with 90 million domesticated cats slinking around 34 percent of U.S. homes."

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had many cats in my life and they are not really like the stereotypes people talk about. The people who say things like that, don't know cats. My cats have always been very loving, greet me at the door when I come in, etc. Some have to be in the same room with me at all times and others are a bit more independent and go look out windows.

Adway

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would say it depends upon the context. Living being with active mind would bond with the source of food, security & comfort - be it a human, tree or a pond.

Years ago, I had adopted a young cat named Monty - the experience lasted for 3 months, unfortunately. Monty would seek my company just like your cat does. He would wait for me to come home from office and would want to sit on my shoulder & sleep in my bed.

Now, I have adopted 2 cats. They could not have been different. They have a great enthusiasm towards playing with each other & great outdoors. They have shown very small signs of getting emotionally involved with me - unless these are signs of a beginning. The context here being, these two have each other for company & that is sufficient for them. At times, they give me a feeling like they are two orphan brothers against the Big Bad World - I being an agent of the world.

For Monty, I was the sole source of excitement, Security and companionship & he wanted to bond with me. These two are bonding the same way with each other, as its easier for them to understand each other than understanding a 10 times large giant who doesn't understand their (body) language.

Alioscar2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had my kitten Oscar since 10 May this year as a 9 week old kitten and I was so shocked how quickly he settled in with me and my father. We have a dog who is 3 and they get on fine now. At first we introduced Oscar in his pet carrier and he hissed at Barney our dog, just did the pet carrier thing until Oscar stopped hissing. Barney hasn’t shown any signs of aggression but I don’t leave them alone together. Oscar loves cuddles and playing and biting us lol. He does seem to prefer me though, he likes to sit on my lap but he uses my dad as a stepping stone.