I think this is the end. Please, what is a safe antibiotic injection?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, she ate once but since, won’t. It’s loud and scary here at the hospital and I was told it was more quiet when she ate. Currently in a room alone with her and the food in hopes….

she also had diarrhea when we first came and it had partial food in it. Like undigested. Tech said not a good thing.I’m scared. I mean I know that’s happened to me, but I don’t know about cats and what level of danger that means.

Waiting for vet to speak with us. She’s in a cone Has her one front paw wrapped with the iv and the nasal tube in her nose. So clutsy and not able to move freely etc.

I just am not sure what to do at this point.

anxious what the vet here thinks. Anxious for the other testresults

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Spoke with vet. She wants to switch the metro from intravenous to orally through the tube. Probiotic, which I thought she was already having I am not sure, each time here has been a different vet which is the downside…I know Dr York was on top of things yesterday.

I have read threads on metro that suggest it gave their kitties the exact problems I’d like to avoid. No appetite. Diarrhea

tech just gave her buprenex and gabapentin and one other one for nausea that’s not Cerenia.

It’s so many medications these past several days that I worry about her little organs?

And I know with her this sedated she probably won’t eat even if in a quiet room with me.
Feeding tube has been less than a day so.

Ugh. My heart. does anyone have any…input or I don’t know. Experience with hospitalization like this? All the meds it’s just a lot to put in her… I know gaba and am comfortable with that I guess. Buprenex I have to look into. Together is ok?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Echo was probably hungry the first time she ate, now a little less since she got some food in her tummy. Are they giving her nutrients through the tube? If so, that will lessen hunger as well.

Despite the use of gabapentin for pain, that wasn't its original use (anti-anxiety/anti-depressant). It is also faster acting whereas Buprenex (which is an opioid) is probably more of a longer lasting pain med - and, yes, I have read of them both being used at the same time.

Metro can be hard on the stomach, like most antibiotics - and, to some extent the entire digestive system - so probably not a bad idea for her to have anti-nausea meds in addition to it and should help to get food down her which will reduce stomach aggravation from the Metro.

Not all of these meds are going to be given long term, so don't worry about their limited impact on her organs when used short term.

I don't have any experience with a cat being hospitalized, but she's been through a lot and is in an unfamiliar place, so I'm sure that, along with the nasal tube, the IV in her paw, the cone, she is a bit nervous about it all. Who wouldn't be?

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Echo was probably hungry the first time she ate, now a little less since she got some food in her tummy. Are they giving her nutrients through the tube? If so, that will lessen hunger as well.

Despite the use of gabapentin for pain, that wasn't its original use (anti-anxiety/anti-depressant). It is also faster acting whereas Buprenex (which is an opioid) is probably more of a longer lasting pain med - and, yes, I have read of them both being used at the same time.

Metro can be hard on the stomach, like most antibiotics - and, to some extent the entire digestive system - so probably not a bad idea for her to have anti-nausea meds in addition to it and should help to get food down her which will reduce stomach aggravation from the Metro.

Not all of these meds are going to be given long term, so don't worry about their limited impact on her organs when used short term.

I don't have any experience with a cat being hospitalized, but she's been through a lot and is in an unfamiliar place, so I'm sure that, along with the nasal tube, the IV in her paw, the cone, she is a bit nervous about it all. Who wouldn't be?
Thank you so much. It’s all overwhelming.
I spoke with that consulting vet earlier and he noted that while the ultrasound noted hair in the digestive tract, they seemed to have ruled out a partial blockage. Now, I don’t know and he even said he doesn’t know, but he wouldn’t rule that out in his opinion. So I’m going to bring this all up to the vet that is there tonight and see what they think about her progress, the fact that she’s had diarrhea again and seems to me that she’s maybe not passed that hair that was noted on the ultrasound. I saw the diarrhea myself so. There was not hair visible in it at all.

having a hospitalized kitty is not something I’d wish on anyone. Especially my kittyits Heartbreaking.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How did the rest of the day go for Echo, Time 2 Recognize Time 2 Recognize ? I hope there might have been some sort of consensus on the hair -- blockage or no blockage. I also hope that maybe some of the other test results are back so you're able to get at least some answers.

I don't have real experience with a cat being hospitalized: Edwina was in for only one night after her surgery and we couldn't visit her, though the staff was great about calling and writing to update us. I pulled out her surgery bill and see she was given Buprenorphine, Cerenia, antibiotics, methadone, gabapentin, and a couple other things. Plus anesthesia. Plus they gave her electrolytes. And she ate nothing, absolutely nothing, though of course she'd had part of her stomach taken out. They were eager to send her home because she was nervous; I was glad to bring her home though, like you, I would have wanted her to stay in if there'd been anything still amiss or there'd been any chance of figuring out what caused her inflammation. (I so wish we could know!)

Anyway, I hope you've been able to talk with both the consulting vet and the on-site vets again. And that things are changing for the better. ❤ 🤞

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:catrub: I don't have any advice but you are in my thoughts and prayers tonight.

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So when I went to visit later in the day, I was able to get her to eat for me. Almost all of the weird chunky food over the course of the visit. Lots of distractions plus headcone and such…I hope she is better than she looks because of the sedative drugs.

they feel I can take her home. But she still has diarrhea and at least last night it was still partially with bits of food undigested. So for that I’m scared? I mean she’s on the metro and Panacur and all sorts that maybe contributing to diarrhea….had another food change being there but…that’s concerning to me

I will call them shortly. I just woke up and have10+ questions. I want her home but am terrified of relapse or another domino falling.

the local vet I switched to during all this said some interesting things yesterday evening that were positive but confusing. She wasn’t surprised about the un digested food because a lot happened and it takes time to normalize she said. Also she was peeking at preliminary test results and PCR fecal still pending but, Spec fPL and GI panel were coming in normal.

undigested food started after monday ultrasound/test day so…I don’t know. Could still be some pancreatitis? Everyone is still also saying gut inflammation is IBD. So I’m also worried there…and not sure what to feed her really. I thought she was doing well on her Tiki and Hiund and Gatos. It was when I switched to a random Nulo beef + lamb that she halted eating after two meals and went downhill.

So. Good things but still a lot of concerns and questions.
Thank you all so much.

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, and the local vet we switched to during all this: she wasn’t concerned by the hair either because it’s measurements weren’t significant and she basically didn’t think blockage. But who knows?

she’s also only at that clinic 1 day a week…so that’s tough. Don’t feel like we have a regular main vet at the moment…😔

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will call them shortly. I just woke up and have10+ questions. I want her home but am terrified of relapse or another domino falling.

the local vet I switched to during all this said some interesting things yesterday evening that were positive but confusing. She wasn’t surprised about the un digested food because a lot happened and it takes time to normalize she said. Also she was peeking at preliminary test results and PCR fecal still pending but, Spec fPL and GI panel were coming in normal.

undigested food started after monday ultrasound/test day so…I don’t know. Could still be some pancreatitis? Everyone is still also saying gut inflammation is IBD. So I’m also worried there…and not sure what to feed her really. I thought she was doing well on her Tiki and Hiund and Gatos. It was when I switched to a random Nulo beef + lamb that she halted eating after two meals and went downhill.
Edwina's on my lap right now, purring and hoping for Echo to feel better (and be able to go home) soon...

I'm glad to hear some of the tests are coming in normal. What the vet says about the undigested food makes sense to me... if a cat's nervous, highly stressed, and taking a lot of medications, strange things can happen to digestion. Particularly when there's a thickened intestine involved.

Did they find inflammation only in Echo's (thickened) intestine? Or was it in her stomach, too?

Also, I looked up the Nulo with beef and lamb and see it also has agar-agar, like the Hound and Gatos. I think I mentioned at some point that both our cats had vomiting problems when I fed them foods with agar-agar. Unlike Edwina, Ireland has never been a barfer, which made the agar-agar situation all the clearer, particularly since both cats' reaction to it was pretty quick. Sometimes there's a sort of cumulative effect from an ingredient a cat is sensitive to: maybe a cat can tolerate one meal a day with the ingredient but increasing to two meals a day results in overload, symptoms.

I hope the calls go well and you're able to get more advice you can act on. No matter what, the thickened intestine is definitely good information to have, though it can be hard to know how to act on the possibility of IBD. We've kind of assumed it for years with Edwina, which is why the cats' diet is so limited and includes homemade.

🤞 ❤ from me and Edwina

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So many clues but not sure of the trail to follow. The pain management is probably causing nausea and she is likely getting ondansetron (zofran) to quell vomiting and nausea. For me, opioids wreak havoc on my IBD and ondansetron is essential - it works wonders. Can she be switched to broth or stage 2 baby food so that her guts can settle down? My older cats have trouble with most of the gums; agar agar, guar, xanthan. Metronidazole (Flagyl) can cause nausea as well. I am hoping that recovering at home enhances recovery. I am sure that your loving touch is one of the most powerful medicines of all. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So many clues but not sure of the trail to follow. The pain management is probably causing nausea and she is likely getting ondansetron (zofran) to quell vomiting and nausea. For me, opioids wreak havoc on my IBD and ondansetron is essential - it works wonders. Can she be switched to broth or stage 2 baby food so that her guts can settle down? My older cats have trouble with most of the gums; agar agar, guar, xanthan. Metronidazole (Flagyl) can cause nausea as well. I am hoping that recovering at home enhances recovery. I am sure that your loving touch is one of the most powerful medicines of all. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:
Yes to everything here, especially the thought on baby food! Time 2 Recognize Time 2 Recognize , did Echo like the baby food you bought for her? Edwina did really well with her Beech Nut baby food (turkey and chicken, she didn't like the beef) after her surgery. I watered it down a little so it was even easier for her to lap up (wearing her cone!), sprinkled a little freeze-dried chicken on it, and she loved it.

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Edwina's on my lap right now, purring and hoping for Echo to feel better (and be able to go home) soon...
🥺 Thank you <3

I have good news that she is home.

She's peed, explored, cleaned herself in a dignified environment, cuddled with me for a bit before wandering and finding a treat on the floor I missed when cleaning up for her to come home. She ate it. She's taking a big nap in a comfortable cinnamon roll position. Had her legs stretched out a little while ago.

I am nervous to feed her! Because possibility of chicken allergy was mentioned, and Tiki After Dark is the cleanest without gums (like you mentioned, I too wondered about the Agar in all this). I used to also have Rawz in her rotation. I stopped during pandemic when it was super hard to get and regret the $70 of random Petco cat foods I got when she wasn't eating lol. Probably lost the receipt already. Not even sure if it was Petco or Petsmart at this point.

I may get some Rawz, and I remember Pure Vita was another one she liked. Have to check the ingredient list again though. But at any rate, still not sure. Not sure if chicken is ok, or if it could be gums, or who knows. The beef and lamb Nulo really set things off in a bad way and was it because of beef? Or lamb? Which have not previously been issues? Or, could it be because her digestion had a week long of upset already and one more thing just toppled into the pile and inferno ignited. Don't know! Another food switch seems risky so I'm thinking her normal food, if she hasn't come to associate it with being ill...I think hair was definitely part of it considering of the 4 vomits in this whole things, 3 were hairballs, 2 were cigar hairballs as in: big ones.

The hospital where we were at was so great. Many different vets, techs etc. But all so kind and thorough and honest. So I'm very relieved in the sense that I know they are there just 15 minutes away 24hrs around the clock. I'm not sure who her regular vet is at this point either so that's...hard. I'll apparently get a proper update tomorrow regarding the tests that were done at the local clinic on Monday.

I also ordered a probiotic Dr York (who started her official hospital treatment after the ultrasound) recommended which was Visbiome. Now, there's that one, which is the pic he showed me, and I also found Visbiome VET which I also bought and may call and ask the hospital to ask Dr York about when he gets a chance. The human intended one is from yogurt cultures and has some dairy involved so. $120+ on probiotics, but this whole thing has upset MY digestive system as I've been holding over on Ensure and the occasional Subway Hero so. Lets just say I need them too at this point 😂 I have Proviable in the meantime which is meh, but it'll do and hopefully help somewhat with the diarrhea...

Lastly, I realized while watching a very helpful video from the Helpful Vancouver Vet on youtube that he does consults. I will likely do that once I get all her files and test results in good order. Leaving whatever links I can in the event a future person could also benefit.

So that's the news for today. Will see if she eats around...5:45pm as she has her antibiotic at 6pm. Elura for appetite at 10pm. Gabapentin as needed once per 24 or more hours, all for the next few days.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have just read this thread. I am so sorry you have been going through all of this ((hugs)).
My last guy had IBD, chicken allergy
My current guy has IBD and Small Cell Lymphoma and a suspected chicken allergy.

Do you think a prescription novel protein would help. Novel protein is a protein Echo has never had.. venison, duck, rabbit,
etc.. or even hydrolyzed food...
I would think the hospital pharmacy would have something to try. If it works, then you can get a prescription sent to Chewy, and order it from them.

I know how it is to go crazy, trying to find foods. I really do.. Right now, I have about $80 in food that I am going to have to return to Petco. With this cat, I was a bit smarter. I kept the receipts and the food in the same bags, storing them in a closet.

Thanks for the info on Visbiome. I have heard of it. It is supposed to be a very good probiotic. I was using Proviable Forte.
Long story regarding my journey, but I want to wish you luck; and know that you are not alone in loving your baby, wanting to do everything in your power to make her better... ❤

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Exactly. The pain med is Gaba. I didn't think that one affected nausea too much? But she definitely had Buprenex in the last 24 hours.
She had no interest in the baby food when she was on food strike, but I could try it if regular food is meh for her. I have to double check what I have left but I definitely got two jars and could run to the store for more.

Got some non chicken snack sticks and puree meals from pet store also.

Yea so I worried about that also with the Metro. She's on the nausea meds at night too so perhaps that will balance things. 3 more days of that. She's on my lap right now ☺ I just set up a new water fountain for her and have a new squishy bed as well. Waiting till diarrhea is sorted before putting that out tho

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very glad to hear Echo is back at home, Time 2 Recognize Time 2 Recognize ! I'm also glad she's had a chance to do some favorite things. That's really important and the fact that she did some grooming speaks to her comfort level.

I so hear you about not knowing how or what to feed her now! There are lots of ways to approach it... with Edwina, we moved from baby food back to some familiar foods that had never caused problems. Sheba pates (chicken and turkey) were perfect because they're not too heavy for a post-op cat who lost part of her stomach. They do have guar gum and tapioca but the carbs are pretty low so I decided to set that whole gum question aside. (We're still feeding Sheba now, two months later, since I changed the cats' menu quite a bit. No problems thus far and the cats eat them consistently, which is a huge plus.)

I'd cut all gums out of the cats' diet earlier in the year when we had no idea what was going with Edwina. Under more normal circumstances -- just a bit of barfing after some new food -- I would have taken my "path of least resistance" approach, as I did with agar-agar, and just cut one gum (xanthan!) or certain new foods. I wonder if removing agar-agar might work for you, too, given that it sounds like Echo's symptoms started or worsened when you added the Nulo food. I, too, was afraid that chicken might be a problem, though that was the least of our our regular vet's worries! Chicken is a relatively common problem but (at least with our current cats) it's always the other stuff, the fillers and thickeners, that cause the problems. Probably the best suggestion I can provide is to keep a journal. I have a "Cat Log" Word file where I record that kind of stuff. It helped me figure out Edwina's "issue" with green-lipped mussels (that's another one to watch out for!) a few years ago.

Thank you for mentioning the Helpful Vancouver Vet! I'll watch that IBD video later on. The vet looks so friendly! (He reminds me of Edwina's surgeon with his sly smile!)

Good luck with all the meds tonight. I hope Echo eats something good!

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah...she's not really willing to eat. She seemed interested at first. Smelled and said nope. Was turkey baby food. Will get some other flavors. . . I put some of her usual favorite freeze dried chicken on it. Ate that off a little bit, but barely the baby food itself.

Back to being scared...

Just gave her Gabapentin so...I hope it will help some maybe. The antibiotic is in an hour and supposed to be with food. I sort of wish they had her one more day on the tube and eating a full day on her own.

She did mostly eat herself yesterday. But aparently not this morning really. After tube out. Maybe I'll call and ask what food they have...

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah...she's not really willing to eat. She seemed interested at first. Smelled and said nope. Was turkey baby food. Will get some other flavors. . . I put some of her usual favorite freeze dried chicken on it. Ate that off a little bit, but barely the baby food itself.
When Edwina did this (and she did it a lot in the first couple days) I added more freeze-dried chicken. :) Sometimes mounding the food a little helped, too. It was the Sheba, though, that got her eating, maybe because it has a fairly pungent smell? I syringed it first and (luckily!) she soon started eating it on her own. Do you have any food like that that's fairly light (meaning not too fatty and caloric) but smelly?

(The couple days when she barely ate were my hardest time, I was really worried about a lot of things, but the clinic talked me out of it...)

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok. So gently warmed organic turkey baby food with chicken topper was a nah no thanks.

I saw your comment about Sheba lisahe lisahe and searched through my petco/petsmart raid, I did grab a salmon entree and she has had sheba once in a while years ago and liked it. So I put a plate in front of her, opened it and plopped it down. She looked for a moment and came over to smell. Ate like, half of that small ovalish patty and lapped some of the juice. So I'm a bit less panicked. But it's not looking like she's going to eat a full ration of food today...so. I'm also concerned.

I know she's been through a tough few days. I also just gave her the gaba not long ago. She's looking a bit less comfy? I dont know. Tucked paw loaf and sleepy faced now in her box fort. I might call and ask the emergency what they had been feeding her. She did trot over when I first brought food in looking interested and then depressed after she had eaten off the topper of the baby food offering.

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is the sheba a good lower fat and light food? I have tiki in a few different ways. Canned after dark, canned regular salmon, the stix, the puree packets...I start looking up percentages and what I have...and I have a littany of I dont even know what from friskies and all sorts in a big kitty trick or treat bag at this point. She's lost interest in the topper it seems because I put it on some of the sheba and she didn't even get up for it.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw your comment about Sheba lisahe lisahe lisahe lisahe and searched through my petco/petsmart raid, I did grab a salmon entree and she has had sheba once in a while years ago and liked it. So I put a plate in front of her, opened it and plopped it down. She looked for a moment and came over to smell. Ate like, half of that small ovalish patty and lapped some of the juice. So I'm a bit less panicked. But it's not looking like she's going to eat a full ration of food today...so. I'm also concerned.
Half a "perfect portion" is really pretty decent for a cat who's on all those medicines! (Our cats' 4 p.m. meal is 2/3 of a perfect portion...) I'm sure she's still feeling stressed from the last few days plus all the meds. (Edwina hated hated hated me when I had to syringe the gaba into her, she spat most of it out every time...) I'd still be somewhat concerned, too, but even a small meal is great progress.

Is the sheba a good lower fat and light food? I have tiki in a few different ways. Canned after dark, canned regular salmon, the stix, the puree packets...I start looking up percentages and what I have...and I have a littany of I dont even know what from friskies and all sorts in a big kitty trick or treat bag at this point. She's lost interest in the topper it seems because I put it on some of the sheba and she didn't even get up for it.
I don't know the salmon Sheba but the vet tech at the clinic said chicken or turkey would be a good choice for Edwina in her early days at home. It's fairly bland. Personally, I wouldn't go for the After Dark but only because of the texture... unless it's one of her favorites and you can puree it with some water. Every cat is different but I had the best success with lappable foods so maybe one of those Tiki packets would be just the thing if she loves them. And if there's a strong smell. That's why I had some Fancy Feast as a backup, for just in case. If I'd had to feed that, though, I would have started with the tiniest amount, like just a teaspoon, very watered down. And then tried something else, something lighter, at the next meal. I finally learned to give Edwina time between attempts at feeding her, both to let her rest and so I didn't get overly zealous. (I was so worried about her!)

If you get too nervous (like I did!), definitely call the clinic to ask about the food and Echo's progress. In my case, I was expecting way too much way too soon and Edwina finally ate a real meal, half a day before the "deadline" the incredibly patient vet tech gave me for when I could officially start to worry.

To sum up the good side here: she ate a decent small meal and the fact that she even seems interested in food is a great thing. Plus you already have all those foods to choose from. ❤ 🤞