I think this is the end. Please, what is a safe antibiotic injection?

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I posted originally in this thread:
Mystery mucus stool

Adlibs version: Started on the 14th with mucus in stool. Things were well with probiotic supplement until one week ago, she vomited a hairball and it's been rocky downroads since. She ate nothing yesterday. And ate 20ml approximately from syringe feeding her normal food today.

Some slippery elm bark syrup between.

She doesn't look well at all. One possibility that hasn't been ruled out is intestinal infection and my question is, what is a safe, general antibiotic injection I could ask for at an emergency vet office? Or a tablet or liquid that I can give her? I don't have stool to give them. I don't want to get Covenia because I've read horror stories with that... Is there a safe injectable general antibiotic? She has an ultrasound at the regular vet tomorrow. Had fluids at e-vet clinic last night. But I'm scared it will be too late tomorrow...And I don't know what to do. No one can do ultrasound today.

I'm scared I'm loosing her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She has an ultrasound tomorrow - so, perhaps they can 'take' a small stool sample from her at that time and check for bacterial issues? I don't think that waiting until tomorrow to ask about a broad-spectrum antibiotic is going to make that much of a difference. Even with injectable antibiotics, they take a few days to 'kick in'.

Is there an ER vet willing to prescribe an antibiotic to you over the phone? If not, you would likely have to wait until tomorrow anyway.

What ever happened to having the fecal PCR done on her previous stool?
What Is the Best Antibiotic for Cats? | My Feline Buddy

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry that you are facing this. My experience has been that if you ask for an injectable antibiotic for a cat, you will be offered Convenia. Other antibiotics are available in injection form, or through IV use, but those may not be kept in supply at an ER or even a vet's office. If you can pill your cat, or use a liquid form, there are other options. When I balked at using Convenia once, (although I did decide to go with it for that particular cat) the vet immediately offered me other antibiotics in those other formulations. My guess is that an ER will have those options available if you need to go there, but you might have to show up in person with your cat.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get covenia shots for my 3 older cats who have stomatitis plus all my TNR kitties get it after their spay/neuter surgery. They range from 7 - 12+ years old now so maybe I have been lucky. We are talking over 30 cats since 2006, not all at my house, of course. The ones who are gone either succumbed to cancer, traffic accidents, possible trapping by vile neighbors and cougar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I get covenia shots for my 3 older cats who have stomatitis plus all my TNR kitties get it after their spay/neuter surgery. They range from 7 - 12+ years old now so maybe I have been lucky. We are talking over 30 cats since 2006, not all at my house, of course. The ones who are gone either succumbed to cancer, traffic accidents, possible trapping by vile neighbors and cougar.
That's really good to hear. I figure it must work MOST of the time without issue since it is the main one used. If not the only. Thing is, she tends to have the bad reactions to lots of meds. Steroids, bad reaction. Cerenia, lethargy, worse interest in food if anything, and diarrhea. She seemed a little better this morning. Took the first feeding ok. Second one not so much.

The e-vet wants me to bring her in. I've been to two regular vets and the emergency clinic twice. Nothing helpful has come of it aside from fluids. She did have those last night at a clinic so I dont know. Should I bring her in again for those? Each trip stresses her, you know? And ultimately the ultrasound is what is needed here. I asked what they can do aside from fluids. "we'll have to evaluate". Well, last night the other clinic (same chain) only wanted to do what had already been done, but fully sedated. Why put her through that....the other main vet clinic was able to do Xray and blood without sedation and I just worry all these things will hurt her system more without any answer. I really dont know what to do.

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My guess is that an ER will have those options available if you need to go there, but you might have to show up in person with your cat.
Yes they wont do anything without seeing her. Thing is, this would be the third time bringing her. And I'm not sure what option to choose. Keep her home, keep syringe feeding or hydrating her best I can until tomorrow morning. Where she is more comfortable and less stressed and afraid... Or bring her in, again, hope that by what seems like a miracle at this point they can do something to help rather than harm and she makes it through the night there... They said I could stay. So at least that.

She had fluids last night at one of their other clinics. There's several of this branch in my area called Vet Emergency Group. But all they offered last night was what had already been done, except under full sedation. She has to get sedated for the ultrasound tomorrow and its just...it didnt seem sensible to do all that to her when it was already done a day prior without answer or even direction...

Ugh. I know I'm doing all I can. I just hate it's still not enough. I dont know if I should keep syringe feeding or switch to just water here on out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You have to do what your gut tells you to do. But, given she has got to go in tomorrow for the ultrasound, do you think it would be advantageous to take her yet somewhere else today?

I know you are worried about her food intake, but she has got to go without food for a period of time before the ultrasound. I'd give her what you can get down her food-wise before the 'cut-off' time, and then give her fluids thereafter. I am thinking that something like children's unflavored Pedialyte for electrolytes would be Ok after the cut off time. Anyone you can ask about that?

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You have to do what your gut tells you to do. But, given she has got to go in tomorrow for the ultrasound, do you think it would be advantageous to take her yet somewhere else today?

I know you are worried about her food intake, but she has got to go without food for a period of time before the ultrasound. I'd give her what you can get down her food-wise before the 'cut-off' time, and then give her fluids thereafter. I am thinking that something like children's unflavored Pedialyte for electrolytes would be Ok after the cut off time. Anyone you can ask about that?
SO, my husband, who is my hero, found a private vet with an emergency number and we called. For the first time in this whole thing, a vet sounded like they were listening to what I was saying and what they were saying made sense! He was on the phone with us for over 20 minutes. Mentioned pancreatitis and asked if the relevant tests there were done (they haven't been) mention a full complete fecal, which I didn't necessarily know the term for so may not have been done. I mean I said please run this for any and everything you can, the office person nodded, but I don't know what they ended up running it for to be honest.

Anyway, he said ultrasound is a good idea, though he would have first done these other relevant tests to see what could be going on. He mentioned some kind of blood test that is more specific to the digestive system. TLI I think. But an ultrasound would have been his end recommendation if those didn't illuminate things. I told him he was the first person this whole ordeal that has given me information that is helpful. He sympathized and said he was sorry for that being the case.

Regarding tonight. He did suggest fluids for her, and possibly overnight supportive care since she isnt eating on her own. He also told me to go get Nutrigel wipe it onto her lips (I have since done this) because it's high calorie and will help prevent liver from going out of wack. I have syringed her water. Ultrasound drop off is 12 hours from now so it doesn't seem that going at this time when she's supposed to withhold from midnight on is going to make sense.

He just sounded like he understood cats and their biology and the types of tests that would be actually relevant in this situation with her.

Not a 26yo emergency vet arrogantly reciting the standard protocol and pretending to listen when I explained how this all got to this.

The nutrical gel seemed to perk her up. She even licked up a small piece that fell off her! Wouldn't lick it off my finger much though. Juuust a little. Which is something at least.

He also said I can, if I want, fill out a registration form, get records to him and he will consult the rest of the way for a very reasonable fee. He sounded extremely knowledgable, kind and I looked further after the call on yelp and google, they are all 100% glowing reviews

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SO, my husband, who is my hero, found a private vet with an emergency number and we called. For the first time in this whole thing, a vet sounded like they were listening to what I was saying and what they were saying made sense! He was on the phone with us for over 20 minutes. Mentioned pancreatitis and asked if the relevant tests there were done (they haven't been) mention a full complete fecal, which I didn't necessarily know the term for so may not have been done. I mean I said please run this for any and everything you can, the office person nodded, but I don't know what they ended up running it for to be honest.

Anyway, he said ultrasound is a good idea, though he would have first done these other relevant tests to see what could be going on. He mentioned some kind of blood test that is more specific to the digestive system. TLI I think. But an ultrasound would have been his end recommendation if those didn't illuminate things. I told him he was the first person this whole ordeal that has given me information that is helpful. He sympathized and said he was sorry for that being the case.

Regarding tonight. He did suggest fluids for her, and possibly overnight supportive care since she isnt eating on her own. He also told me to go get Nutrigel wipe it onto her lips (I have since done this) because it's high calorie and will help prevent liver from going out of wack. I have syringed her water. Ultrasound drop off is 12 hours from now so it doesn't seem that going at this time when she's supposed to withhold from midnight on is going to make sense.

He just sounded like he understood cats and their biology and the types of tests that would be actually relevant in this situation with her.

Not a 26yo emergency vet arrogantly reciting the standard protocol and pretending to listen when I explained how this all got to this.

The nutrical gel seemed to perk her up. She even licked up a small piece that fell off her! Wouldn't lick it off my finger much though. Juuust a little. Which is something at least.

He also said I can, if I want, fill out a registration form, get records to him and he will consult the rest of the way for a very reasonable fee. He sounded extremely knowledgable, kind and I looked further after the call on yelp and google, they are all 100% glowing reviews
This vet sounds awesome. Please keep us updated. And I hope you get some peace tonight, this kind of situation is so frustrating and upsetting but it sounds like there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did the prescribed Mirataz again. To see if it would help. Nothing. And she was too resistant to trying to do last syringe feed if the night. I’m so sad. I don’t think I can get water in her now. I know the clinic told me no food or water prior to ultrasound starting at midnight but…feeling like maybe we should have gone for fluids or overnight supportive care. I don’t know.
My poor girl. She looks so miserable.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope the ultrasound goes well and you get some (positive) answers. This has to be so frustrating for you.

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We went to the emergency for supportive care last night. I'm glad we did, she was not moving and looked so miserable. The vet there was much better than the previous one at the other location. Listened, actually wanted and read through my 5 pages of notes/history and asked to scan it into her file. I love her lol. Sadly she's out until Thursday, but she got us/Echo all set up there and everyone else we've met there has been similar caliber of kind.

I stayed with her for a while. Soon after fluids and some medicines (cerenia being one again, IV this time) she was more perked up and actually meowing. So that was great. I slept out in the car with my husband a few hours and when we went in to get her, they had a little hand drawn "Spicy!" sign on her crate door as well as a towel covering it. Which was both amusing and a good sign because her energy is up. The tech who helped us get her in the carrier was laughing and saying how she could be the mom of her boy cat, who looks quite similar and is also a spicy fella. She's at the other main clinic now for the ultrasound and I asked them to do pancreas test, TLI, and the fecal I dropped off on Saturday was indeed for a comprehensive fecal test so that is also good. Hope to get some answers today, hope dearly they are addressable and not as severe as they could be...

I also contacted that amazing vet I spoke to yesterday to arrange how I can get records to him so he can consult. I really feel he will be the best advisor in this.

Also very grateful that i have health insurance for her omg. 10/10 will tell anyone I know it's absolutely worth having. I use Healthy Paws and they cover 80% outside of $250 deductible and standard exams I believe.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Your current vet has to transfer all records to the new doctor, as does any other vet you have consulted. The records are legally your property and they cannot refuse or drag their feet.

Pancreatitis can be insidious and does not necessarily appear on regular blood panels. Good to test for it to see if that is a piece of the puzzle.

Let us know what happens with the US.

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your current vet has to transfer all records to the new doctor, as does any other vet you have consulted. The records are legally your property and they cannot refuse or drag their feet.

Pancreatitis can be insidious and does not necessarily appear on regular blood panels. Good to test for it to see if that is a piece of the puzzle.

Let us know what happens with the US.
They were very prompt about it! I explained it’s just for a consult from a Manhattan vet and they had no problem. Will possibly speak with him tomorrow or perhaps Wednesday.
So the comprehensive fecal was not in fact the PCR comprehensive, which is apparently the specific one I should have asked for. It worked out in a way, because the most recent stool sample I collection Sunday afternoon/evening was a completely fresh, deep cleaned litter box with new litter. So less likelyhood of mis-testing or whatnot.

She is on Panacur and metronidazole. The vet today, Dr. York, was super nice and explained everything very thoroughly and honestly. He said he would also give her probiotic between metro which I liked. Was going to ask they do that but he already had it covered. I am a bit worried that the metron side effects will be hard on her. I am anxious to check on her in the morning. She was also sedated 3 times in 24 hours. Been on gabapentin (possibly something else also I just am not certain), the ultrasound was propofol and she was sedated a few hours ago for the nasal feeding tube. I just worry about her lil organs and all this, but hopefully this is all more for the good than risk of the negative…

Her ultrasound results showed thickening in the middle section of her intestines and one lymph node larger than normal. All else normal. ER vet was a bit surprised with these findings but tends to feel given her clean history, young age etc. that this was an acute response more so than something chronic. So inflammation. I have theories and think I inadvertently made some things worse. The fecal results will help sort of narrow in on the “why” I hope.

Spec fPL and GI panel bloodwork sent out today so. That also hopefully will illuminate.

I had to include this pic because I thought it was cute

460D43BE-0F85-4C97-90FC-7B79B00AED75.jpeg

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her ultrasound results showed thickening in the middle section of her intestines and one lymph node larger than normal. All else normal. ER vet was a bit surprised with these findings but tends to feel given her clean history, young age etc. that this was an acute response more so than something chronic. So inflammation. I have theories and think I inadvertently made some things worse. The fecal results will help sort of narrow in on the “why” I hope.
Thank you for the update. This (again!) sounds so familiar, with the inflammation that can't quite be pinned down. (IMO, no matter what, it's very good to know about the thickening of the intestines even if there aren't IBD symptoms. I was so glad to have that information to keep in mind for Edwina.) I hope the Panacur and metronidazole help and that the fecal test shows something. It sounds like Echo stayed in the hospital last night -- I hope she's able to come home today!

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys so much!!
Yes it its so strangely similar. I'm glad that they are giving Panacur and interested to see the further test results to try and narrow in on the origin point for all this. My poor Lady. I really appreciate you sharing Edwina's story lisahe lisahe ! That's made this whole thing more understandable and I was able to be more proactive and aware so I'm so so grateful to you.

She did stay last night and I may have her stay one more. I just want to make sure she's eating well and learn as much as possible today about home care so everything is set up when she's home. Our insurance covers 80% outside of exam fees so 80% of another night. Plus mainly, bringing her home and possibly back if something goes off would be much more stress for her (+ another exam fee)

The morning update today was she has perked up (lots of sedation yesterday and ultrasound so long day for her). And they were concerned they'd have to try an appetite stimulant to get her eating on her own without the tube as she had not, but the doctor said Echo must have heard them discussing this because soon after, she ate a full portion on her own. That's the best news ever.

I will speak with the consulting vet in a little while and report back what he says also. I'm anxious to go visit. I wanted to go early, but last night was the first nights sleep where I felt "ok, she's in good hands and doing ok". I slept in and it'd be easier to do the phone consult home than in the car outside the hospital. So I will go after. She's been meowing apparently.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys so much!!
Yes it its so strangely similar. I'm glad that they are giving Panacur and interested to see the further test results to try and narrow in on the origin point for all this. My poor Lady. I really appreciate you sharing Edwina's story lisahe lisahe ! That's made this whole thing more understandable and I was able to be more proactive and aware so I'm so so grateful to you.

She did stay last night and I may have her stay one more. I just want to make sure she's eating well and learn as much as possible today about home care so everything is set up when she's home. Our insurance covers 80% outside of exam fees so 80% of another night. Plus mainly, bringing her home and possibly back if something goes off would be much more stress for her (+ another exam fee)

The morning update today was she has perked up (lots of sedation yesterday and ultrasound so long day for her). And they were concerned they'd have to try an appetite stimulant to get her eating on her own without the tube as she had not, but the doctor said Echo must have heard them discussing this because soon after, she ate a full portion on her own. That's the best news ever.

I will speak with the consulting vet in a little while and report back what he says also. I'm anxious to go visit. I wanted to go early, but last night was the first nights sleep where I felt "ok, she's in good hands and doing ok". I slept in and it'd be easier to do the phone consult home than in the car outside the hospital. So I will go after. She's been meowing apparently.
It's great to hear that Echo's perking up and eating, that really is good news. And I so understand what you mean about finally sleeping well, knowing Echo's in good hands -- I felt exactly the same way when Edwina spent the night at the hospital after her surgery.

I really hope the other tests can help you figure out what happened! (It could be so helpful for preventing whatever happened from happening again...) But even if they don't, maybe at least the medications will get rid of whatever was bothering her. Edwina and I are glad her story has been helpful. (Apparently it's been helpful for at least one local vet here, too!)