I Think My Rescues Have Herpes Or Aids And I Can't Get To Vet. Is There Anything I Can Do For Them?

Campingwithcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two of them are pretty old. About 15 and they've been together the whole time. The other two are seven and eight I think and are best buds. They all have what looks like herpes on their skin at times and I think breathing problems often. I could use any advice on any home remedies or just ways to make them comfortable. They need a good home but I can't bear to split them up one by one. If anyone's interested they've had all their indoor shots and are fixed and are the most loyal and devoted cats you've ever seen. I've moved several times with them and they stay right with me every time.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any rescues or animal charities in the area that can help with vet bills? You really need to get a diagnosis so they can get proper treatment. Try calling every animal charity in the area to see if anyone can help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Campingwithcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am only looking for advice on home remedies or methods to help suffering senior cats. Or to possibly find them homes. Please do not send me any links to any virus filled info stealing websites that just tell you to go beg. Thank you.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's nothing anyone can do without a diagnosis :dunno:. Once the illness is identified, there may be some effective home remedies, or maybe not. But no way to know until it's identified. Vet care is a necessary part of cat ownership.

The link is to a The Cat Site article and should not have any viruses :).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...realizing that without a proper diagnosis, you are limited, and going with your discomfort in going to websites that we have used and found safe to locate assistance, I'll go with what is left. For the breathing issues, a stop-gap measure is putting them in the bathroom with the shower running on hot for 15 minutes or more, rather like one would do with an infant with a stuffy nose. That may give them some relief. For the skin issues, you can brew a cup of chamomile tea, chill it, and swab it on the affected areas. Do use tea bags from your local grocery store, as those are always German chamomile, which is safe for cats. The English variety that often grows in gardens is toxic to them.

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am only looking for advice on home remedies or methods to help suffering senior cats. Or to possibly find them homes. Please do not send me any links to any virus filled info stealing websites that just tell you to go beg. Thank you.
I think you'll have a very difficult time treating them at home, unfortunately. This is doubly true if you don't have a diagnosis to even *know* what you're treating. Personally, I'm reluctant to attempt home remedies on my animals because I have no medical knowledge and therefore anything I do will likely prolong their suffering or worsen whatever disease they have. It's pretty much the equivalent to wrapping a broken arm in gauze and popping advil, hoping the pain eventually goes away. It just doesn't work.

It looks like you're new to this forum, but the senior members will often link to helpful articles on the rest of the site, none of which are spyware or encourage begging. However, without proper research that will lead you to rescues, low cost clinics, and possible ways of rehoming these cats, you're doing these animals a huge disservice.

Campingwithcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK...realizing that without a proper diagnosis, you are limited, and going with your discomfort in going to websites that we have used and found safe to locate assistance, I'll go with what is left. For the breathing issues, a stop-gap measure is putting them in the bathroom with the shower running on hot for 15 minutes or more, rather like one would do with an infant with a stuffy nose. That may give them some relief. For the skin issues, you can brew a cup of chamomile tea, chill it, and swab it on the affected areas. Do use tea bags from your local grocery store, as those are always German chamomile, which is safe for cats. The English variety that often grows in gardens is toxic to them.
Thank you very much

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats do get herpes, but it doesn't look like the same kind of herpes sores humans get on their skin. Feline herpes usually presents as a brownish discharge from the eyes, congestion and drooling.

If they are suffering from a skin disease I really recommend you get them some proper vet care. A lot of skin problems cats have can be transmitted to people.

If you let us know which city or state you are in we could try to help you find some low cost clinics. Even just going once for a diagnoses and initial treatment would be better than nothing.

Once you know what you're dealing with you can start to look for home remedies, but if you try treating what you think they have and it turns out to be something completely different the cats are going to suffer.

Campingwithcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I apologize for my rudeness and I'm grateful for any useful advice. And very stressed out and do not like the internet. There are no charities in my area for animals. These "charities" like p a w s all cost money and I don't have a car to get to one if I had the money. And before someone recommends it no I have no friends to help me. These little rescues are all I have. I've started buying them as much canned food and chicken as I can afford and they seem to be getting a little better. I live in Holiday Florida there's not much here for help of any kind. But thank you guys very much for your time and helpful words.

Campingwithcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only other thing I found pictures for on the internet that look similar our second stage feline AIDS. I guess the best thing I can do is to keep them happy and not stressed. Which they've been doing for me so I'm trying to return the favor as best I can. I've never met animals so loyal and devoted. These cats put dogs to shame as man's best friend.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
One thing you could try is a supplement or treat that contains L-lysine. This is supposed to help cats that have herpes or are FIV+. It won't do the cats any harm if they don't have either of these virus.

There are lots of different treats or liquid drops you can get from most pet stores, the powder isn't so good. None of my cats would touch it.

Campingwithcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One thing you could try is a supplement or treat that contains L-lysine. This is supposed to help cats that have herpes or are FIV+. It won't do the cats any harm if they don't have either of these virus.

There are lots of different treats or liquid drops you can get from most pet stores, the powder isn't so good. None of my cats would touch it.
Thank you

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you very much
You are more than welcome. I wish there were more that we could do. I did some checking for your area, and you're right...there isn't much there. However, I did find this person, catrescue. Now, she is a rescue referral person, but she MAY have some resources that she can recommend in the area. It might be worth calling her to find out.

Canna082918

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you
I agree about the lysine. I have been giving it to my cat whose eyes were terrible for 8 years now and her eyes are normal now. What I do is give her a 1/4 teaspoon mixed with a teaspoon of nutritional yeast and mixed with a little water. She loves it and considers it a treat. This is the brand that I use.
Also initially I used an opthamolic Terramycin ointment that I bought at our local farm supply store. Hope this helps you.