I think my female cat is pregnant, but my male cat is neutered. Is that possible??

christys21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! This is my first time on the site. I have been searching the web trying to find out if it is possible for a neutered cat to get another cat pregnant. I didn't think it was possible. I have 3 cats 2 males and 1 female. Both of my male cats are neutered, and I'm positive about that. My female cat has gone in heat twice that I know of. The first time for about a week but the last time only for a couple of days which I thought was a little strange. She is just over a year old and I was about to get her spayed in a month or so. I have notice she has been putting on a lot of weight and just in her stomach. I thought maybe she was just eating too much. I have told my husband that if I didn't know any better I would think she was pregnant. He told me I was crazy and it was not possible. She has been very tender around her stomach for awhile and I started thinking maybe she was sick, so I starting feeling her stomach tonight and boy was I shocked!!! Her nibbles were out and I could almost feel the babies inside. Can anyone help?? I feel kind of embarrassed to go to the vet saying she got pregnant from a neutered cat, and have him tell she is just really fat. Oh I forgot to add, she is an inside cat and has never been outside or around any other cats but mine. I'm confused, can't someone please help. Sorry I was rambling so much.

Thanks,
Christy

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This does sound strange, doesn't it? First, I would go ahead and take her to the vet. There are a few illnesses that look like pregnancy, such as pyometria (sp?), which is an infection of the uterus. The infection can cause swelling of the stomach area. Also, if she is pregnant, you need to find out so you can get her on the correct food. Also, if she is pregnant, you need to bring the boys in to be double checked.

She may be experiencing a false pregnancy. If one of your neutered males tried to do the deed with her, it would have stimulated her to ovulate, which could fool her body into thinking she's pregnant. With some cats, false pregnancy looks just like a real pregnancy, even with weight gain.

I don't think you'd look silly taking her to the vet, even if she is just pregnant. I would, and I'm not one to run to the vet for every sniffle. Please let us know what happens; this is an interesting situation!

Dawn

harriet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, cats are strange critters aren't they!!

I agree that a false pregnancy is a possibility. How long ago were the boys neutered? I have heard of a tom siring a litter 8 weeks after being neutered!!

dawnt91 is right, swallow your pride and take her to the vet soon.

I am also curious of the findings.

Good luck

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Harriet
Hi, cats are strange critters aren't they!!

I agree that a false pregnancy is a possibility. How long ago were the boys neutered? I have heard of a tom siring a litter 8 weeks after being neutered!!

dawnt91 is right, swallow your pride and take her to the vet soon.

I am also curious of the findings.

Good luck
That was my first thought as well; how long ago was he neutered. There is also the possibility the Vet didn't complete the operation and your Tom is not firing "blanks". Have you noticed any mating activity that you thought was harmless (since your boy was supposed to be fixed)? Is there any possibility your queen got out?

Pete

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You said you thought you could feel movement; are her nipples a deep pink or very pale? If you could feel movement the hair around the nipples may also be gone. If this is the case you probably have a prego lady and I would not be embarrassed about taking her to the Vet unless you are the one who performed the neutering! VBG

Pete

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Christy

Sounds like it could be pyometria. I would get her to a vet immediately where they can determine if it is pyometria. My cat Faberge had that infection. Most vets won't treat it they will simply spay her, and that is what is best. If her belly is as bloated as you say it is, I wouldn't waste anymore time, as it can be fatal to the cat.

Good luck and keep us posted.

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pyometra is treatable if it's caught soon enough. After it is successfully treated the queen needs to be bred the next time she is in heat. If you don't plan on breeding her then I would opt for the spaying as well to avoid another occurrence.

Pete

harriet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree that pyometra is treatable. I had a queen develop it after her litter. She was treated with Baytril and went on to have another litter just fine.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't believe it. A neutered cat CAN NOT SIRE KITTENS, PERIOD!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. What are the names of your cats?

It does look weird. Do you know the vet who neutered your tomcats?

Chicks7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had my male cat neutered December 9, 2020, one of my females gave birth Feb 28, 2012 she had four babies. Doing the math, she got pregnant a few days before Christmas. I’m waiting on another female cat to have her kittens. The way she’s acting I’m guessing within the next 24-48 hours. My Veterinarian and I are going to have a talk.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my male cat neutered December 9, 2020, one of my females gave birth Feb 28, 2012 she had four babies. Doing the math, she got pregnant a few days before Christmas. I’m waiting on another female cat to have her kittens. The way she’s acting I’m guessing within the next 24-48 hours. My Veterinarian and I are going to have a talk.
Males can be fertile for about 3 weeks or so after neutering, due to sneaky sperm hiding in the tubes. So if they got pregnant around Christmas, yeah that sounds about right.

So, yes, do get after your vet for not telling you that, and maybe have them examine the male to make sure, but it's very likely the neuter was done correctly and your boy is almost certainly infertile by now.