I think my cat needs vitamins?

kallired

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had kittens ended up getting sick and not feeding them so i took it in my hands to bottle feed them they ended up passing away except one and now shes so tiny and skinny shes about 7 or 8 months now... any suggestions???

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She needs to see the vet,something may have passed down from her Mom.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to say, usually 7-8 month old kittens are thin due to their growth, but not skinny. I see yours has sunken in sides, I would be taking her to a vet for testing of felv.

What are you feeding her?

Where is momma now?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Work with your vet to figure out what's going on.  It could be that she's just going to be a small cat, but it could be something health related.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a kitten about 7-8 months old and she's also slim and trim, but she eats like a horse and is perfectly healthy.  She's also got boundless energy, which contributes to her lean look. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's okay that she is small, it's skinny that is not so okay.

Look at her gums, are they good and pink? Are they very pale pink/whitish?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, can you see her ribs and hip bones protruding or can you feel a layer of muscle between her skin and ribs?  If they're protruding, then that's a nutritional or health issue.  It doesn't look like she's malnourished from your second pic.  You might want to add some kitten wet food to her diet.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, she may just need canned food added to help build muscle strength.

9 lives is loaded with grains/cereals that goes right through them, it takes meat protein to add muscle. Fancy Feast classics are grain free and will help supplement her dry food a decent amt.

Adding a can a day is good.

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We feed my youngest a combination of wet food twice a day and then a mixture of dry, including a kitten kibble 3 times a day. All of it's grain free except for the kitten kibble.  She's small like your girl so I'm hoping she has a growth spurt soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kallired

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would a raw egg mixed with hard food be good for them?

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Would a raw egg mixed with hard food be good for them?
I just wanted to say something.

Based on current diet I assume money is tight.

There is never any judgement here, the majority of us have money problems like the next person, so whether you are dirt poor and homeless, or not so much poor but are not aware of what's best to feed, just let us know here so we can advise the appropriate diet that fits your needs and budget.

The point is you are a caring cat owner and want to have a healthy cat, so we love that!

It won't do you any good to hear the best that's out there if you are unable to afford buying it :)

So it will help us to know a bit.

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kallired

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I spend $10 a week on cat food for a 10lb bag of 9 lives essienals and i could aford 15 a week if there is a better brand around 15. I always have all bowls of food n water full at all times i have three cats.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So my suggestion would be one of 2 things.

If you can and are willing to add canned food, even tall cans of friskies is better then no canned.

They're about $1.00 each and will go around well for your 3 cats. Each tall can is about 2 1/2 shorter sized cans.

If you prefer dry only, it sounds like you might be able to afford Natural Balance. The food is decent actually, basically in between the super cheapie types and the premium types.

Shop around though, I know the cost varies a good amt depending on where you buy it.

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any improvement??Would ask,how is her energy level?

Is she sleeping a lot??My baby girl was sick and I didnt know.But maybe your girl is

just recovering from a rough start.