I think my cat may be pregnant

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

I think my cat Stellar may be pregnant. She was an indoor car with a catio in our previous house. We moved to the country at the beginning of March and unfortunately, she managed to escape a few times. She had regular heats every couple of weeks, but she has not had one for quite a while. She was booked in to be neutered this week, but my husband pointed out to me her enlarged pink nipples. I stroked her last night when she was lying on her side and I could feel feel bumpy bits, could this be kittens. She used to be a very slim but she has filled out in the middle a bit now, but it is not really massive. She does seem to be a bit more sleepy and slightly dozy. Is there a chance this could be a phantom pregnancy or a real one. She is going to the vets on Monday (earliest they can fit her in) to check her over. Any advice would be great.

Please don't be cross with me, this would be a genuine mistake, I am a responsible cat owner and have 3 others cats x

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you feel something inside her tummy, then the chances it is a phantom pregnancy are very little.
Of course, if your cat is in advanced stage of pregnancy, I don't think your vet will proceed with the surgery. At least, no vet that I know in my country would do such a thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you feel something inside her tummy, then the chances it is a phantom pregnancy are very little.
Of course, if your cat is in advanced stage of pregnancy, I don't think your vet will proceed with the surgery. At least, no vet that I know in my country would do such a thing.
Thank you, I definitely will not be having them aborted/spayed. If she is pregnant, she will have the kittens. We would keep one and family and friends would adopt the others.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since she is unspayed and had outdoor access, she is very likely pregnant. Since she is just beginning to show she would be around 5-6 weeks along. Cat pregnancy runs 63-68 days on average, so she probably has another 3-4 weeks to go. Read our links in this forum to prepare for kittens. They are very helpful.

Feed mom as much wet and dry food as she wants, and begin giving her a dish a day of kitten formula made from powder, as she needs the extra calcium through her nursing days.

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since she is unspayed and had outdoor access, she is very likely pregnant. Since she is just beginning to show she would be around 5-6 weeks along. Cat pregnancy runs 63-68 days on average, so she probably has another 3-4 weeks to go. Read our links in this forum to prepare for kittens. They are very helpful.

Feed mom as much wet and dry food as she wants, and begin giving her a dish a day of kitten formula made from powder, as she needs the extra calcium through her nursing days.
Thank you for your advice. Is it okay for her to still go outside for a bit, she likes to wander around the garden and sunbathe and she likes to go to toilet outside.

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Took some pictures tonight. She seems fuller around her waist, not so long ago it was thin and concave.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
As for going outside, you are the best judge of her habits and reliability of returning. Given that she is very likely pregnant, you don't want her to decide that there is someplace outside where she would like to have the kittens or to expose her to some danger that she could not escape from. My experience is with feral/stray litters, but I have seen mother cats move babies hither and yon which adds huge complications to everything.

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When Stellar was asleep on my bed on her side, I watched her for a few minutes. I could see little ripples or twitches every now and then. She also came in from the garden and just plonked herself down on the carpet when an exhausted look on her face. The other day she had a lumpy but in her tummy, but this has now moved, could it be a kitten that has shifted position. X

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vet has confirmed her pregnancy. She could feel 3 kittens tonight. Thinks she has a couple of weeks to go!

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your help. Unfortunately, I am finding it hard to keep her in. I have 3 others cats who all go out and I have tried to keep her in, but she goes bonkers, scratching the furniture and carpet and the door, constant meowing. She just loves being outside. She does not go far, stays in the garden and just loves to sit and watch the birds, root around and sunbathe. I am keeping a close eye on her. She does come in at night and sleeps. She woke me up for cuddles this morning. I am a bit worried as I could not feel babies moving today. She has always been a very slim cat, almost oriental and her tummy does not seem that big, but the vet could feel 3 kittens. From what the vet said on Monday, she only has about a week or so to go, but she does not seem to be looking for a nest yet, could the vet have got the dates wrong? Sorry for sounding neurotic, by as a first time cat grandma, I am not sure of the signs.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats do not usually nest until the last minute, and may choose your bed! The vet is just estimating, so take it with a grain of salt.

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I have got a nursing box ready, but if she chooses my bed, I 'm fine with that and would be honoured! I felt a little kick today, so that cheered me no end!

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First kitten has arrived. She had it behind a chair in our bedroom! Not sure when it arrived, but I think must have been in the last 45 mins. She made no noise. My husband went to the loo and she came in as if asking him to follow her. She is now licking it to death lol! There is no placenta, so I assume she has eaten it. Kitten is feeding now, when will the next ones come, she is not showing any signs of others being born xx

Attachments

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stellar had one kitten at about 6 am, she has not had any since, the vet said she she could feel 3 should I be concerned. Mum seems happy, but I don't know what to expect!

Attachments

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No more kittens yet should I be concerned 🤔 😕