I think my cat may be mixed...Maine Coon/Norwegian Forrest Cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allied

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The length of the tail and the body can tell you a lot. MC's have a longer body than an NFC, Siberian, and Ragdoll which are the " Big Breeds. " By " breed standards " a MC's tail should be as long as the body which would mean a longer tail. The way a MC holds his tail and the fluff have a distinct look to me. They sometimes have what I call a flat side which is the back side that isn't as fluffy as the rest of the tail. I've been around MC's my whole life so things I notice others may not. My Manny in the pic is a good example of a Siberian lookalike. His top match on his DNA test wound up being Siberian. He has a shorter stockier body than a MC. All the big breeds look similar in a lot of ways.
View attachment 319251

Yeah, that's what I was looking for! He has a longer body and tail. The back side of his tail is some what flat. Those aren't paws! Those are hooves! :lol: His back paws look like Charlie Chaplin shoes! :yess:

I'm pretty convinced I'm looking at a couple MC's. Having said all this....It's an educated guess. They're still considered Domestic Long Hairs technically. A DNA test is not 100% positive but, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck! A couple things you can look for. If they walk by and swipe at a toy and pick it up like it was nothing, a good indicator. They are known to be mousers and their paws a designed for it. Yowling is a characteristic. They don't climb trees. They may run up one 3 or 4 ft and jump off but, they won't climb up it. Don't let them outside alone. They are a stand your ground cat. They will not run and hide. I don't care if it's a Pit Bull. They will stand them down. They tend to like water and will probably get in the tub and drink out of the toilet. :lol:

I'm going to call mightyboosh mightyboosh here. I think he would like to see these guys and may have some input.
Wow! Thanks for all your input, I really appreciate it☺

Blank.starr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The length of the tail and the body can tell you a lot. MC's have a longer body than an NFC, Siberian, and Ragdoll which are the " Big Breeds. " By " breed standards " a MC's tail should be as long as the body which would mean a longer tail. The way a MC holds his tail and the fluff have a distinct look to me. They sometimes have what I call a flat side which is the back side that isn't as fluffy as the rest of the tail. I've been around MC's my whole life so things I notice others may not. My Manny in the pic is a good example of a Siberian lookalike. His top match on his DNA test wound up being Siberian. He has a shorter stockier body than a MC. All the big breeds look similar in a lot of ways.
View attachment 319251

Yeah, that's what I was looking for! He has a longer body and tail. The back side of his tail is some what flat. Those aren't paws! Those are hooves! :lol: His back paws look like Charlie Chaplin shoes! :yess:

I'm pretty convinced I'm looking at a couple MC's. Having said all this....It's an educated guess. They're still considered Domestic Long Hairs technically. A DNA test is not 100% positive but, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck! A couple things you can look for. If they walk by and swipe at a toy and pick it up like it was nothing, a good indicator. They are known to be mousers and their paws a designed for it. Yowling is a characteristic. They don't climb trees. They may run up one 3 or 4 ft and jump off but, they won't climb up it. Don't let them outside alone. They are a stand your ground cat. They will not run and hide. I don't care if it's a Pit Bull. They will stand them down. They tend to like water and will probably get in the tub and drink out of the toilet. :lol:

I'm going to call mightyboosh mightyboosh here. I think he would like to see these guys and may have some input.
That cat looks exactly like my Moose, jeepers!! .. here have a look!

Attachments

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
View attachment 319251

Your cat does resemble Siberian’s. They have a sweet face. If you’ve ever watched Zelda and Salto you would see what I mean. They’re on you tube and it ended after they moved and one of them got lost 😟
Lucca’s tail is as long as his body and is flat on the backside which I found odd. Here’s a picture I took tonight of this 5 month old kitten of mine...
B1F6352B-22AD-4F00-8BA6-B9AB21CAE19D.jpeg
58C83ABF-DFB5-44CA-9320-F6F829C9A40A.jpeg

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, it's hard to say, my boys and my girl had 2 shorthair parents (2 different sets of parents, but we think their moms were mother and daughter).. so its something they have in their family line. I've been debating about doing a dna test but I heard it's not worth it for cats?

My boys are big, Fynn is tall and long, and medium hair, he has very small ears for his body and his tail is shorter. Jethro is shorter, but long too and a longhair. He also has a toe in look when he sits (meaning his legs look a bit crooked) and a flat tail. Jetty I think looks more like your boy, he had the very short legs and big paws. Here are some photos of him now, and as a baby, you can see how much shorter and bigger his paws were then his brother Roscoe. He is 12lbs. Your boy will be stunning no matter what he is :)
2019-12-10 13.41.46.jpg
2020-01-21 11.17.14.jpg

jethro1.jpg
jethrose.jpg

Blank.starr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, it's hard to say, my boys and my girl had 2 shorthair parents (2 different sets of parents, but we think their moms were mother and daughter).. so its something they have in their family line. I've been debating about doing a dna test but I heard it's not worth it for cats?

My boys are big, Fynn is tall and long, and medium hair, he has very small ears for his body and his tail is shorter. Jethro is shorter, but long too and a longhair. He also has a toe in look when he sits (meaning his legs look a bit crooked) and a flat tail. Jetty I think looks more like your boy, he had the very short legs and big paws. Here are some photos of him now, and as a baby, you can see how much shorter and bigger his paws were then his brother Roscoe. He is 12lbs. Your boy will be stunning no matter what he is :)
View attachment 319393View attachment 319394
View attachment 319391View attachment 319392
Omg what a gorgeous kitty! 😍😍

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise

View attachment 319393View attachment 319394
View attachment 319391View attachment 319392
Geeez, your boys are stunning! Sweet faces too! I love those fur babies of yours :redheartpump: :redheartpump::redheartpump:

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to call mightyboosh mightyboosh mightyboosh mightyboosh here. I think he would like to see these guys and may have some input.
Sorry sabian sabian I've only just noticed the thread..
What a little darling and I'll go along with what your're saying. Obviously we're talking lookalikes without papers but I think the muzzle is more MC than NFC judging by the pics so far. It's more on the chunky MC side. Also as you said, the body looks longer than a more stocky Siberian.
It'll be wonderful to see more pics as he grows. I love seeing ongoing photos as they mature.
In any event a real cutie.
allied allied you may need to go to the gym and build your arms up as you may end up with something like my Oliver (22 lbs)

IMG_0980 (2).JPG
IMG_0982 (2).JPG
IMG_2007.JPG

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
What a little darling and I'll go along with what your're saying. Obviously we're talking lookalikes without papers but I think the muzzle is more MC than NFC judging by the pics so far. It's more on the chunky MC side. Also as you said, the body looks longer than a more stocky Siberian.
It'll be wonderful to see more pics as he grows. I love seeing ongoing photos as they mature.
allied allied you may need to go to the gym and build your arms up as you may end up with something like my Oliver (22 lbs)

View attachment 319713View attachment 319714View attachment 319715
Wow that’s a humongous cat and so pretty! Did she eat a lot as a kitten? My male kitten never seems satisfied with the amount we give him and he’s already almost 10lbs at 5mths! I’m worried that he’ll become overweight.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Omg he is sooo cute! 😍 I'd say more Maine Coons, absolutely, would have to be a mixed breed though. Also, careful, apparently on this site a lot of people say if your cat is a mix breed, he's no breed... 🤨
That's because a mixed breed isn't a breed, not because members of this site say it isn't.

Any cat without official papers is a domestic cat. Even if the cat had 2 parents of a specific breed. Unless one can proof the ancestry through generations the cat is considered domestic. The pedigree is what establishes the absolute yes or no.

One can't make up a breed from two cats who have kittens that happen to have these papers. A purebreed Persian and a purebreed Maine Coon that mate will still result in...a domestic long hair cat. NOT a new breed of cat. You're not getting a Paine Coon or a Mersian from that LOL.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One can't make up a breed from two cats who have kittens that happen to have these papers. A purebreed Persian and a purebreed Maine Coon that mate will still result in...a domestic long hair cat. NOT a new breed of cat. You're not getting a Paine Coon or a Mersian from that LOL.
A Persian / Maine Coon cat would be a "mixed breed" cat... but most cats aren't mixtures of breeds like that. Most cats are simply domestic cats, without breeds such as Persian or Maine Coon in their ancestry.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
That's because a mixed breed isn't a breed, not because members of this site say it isn't.

Any cat without official papers is a domestic cat. Even if the cat had 2 parents of a specific breed. Unless one can proof the ancestry through generations the cat is considered domestic. The pedigree is what establishes the absolute yes or no.

Well apparently this cat is a breed.

Blank.starr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I don't get that, most cats come from certain breeds, papers or not.
I think it's because cat breeding is still a relatively new thing, I don't think everyone sees it as those characteristics were there long before we got involved and gave it a name.

allied

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Wow, that is a beautiful cat! I love it! I am hoping my boy gets big!!🤣

Blank.starr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Noone said you get a new breed. Just that you get a mix of two breeds. It's still a mixed breed cat, just not everyone cares enough to have their cat tested and registered. You don't say a human is no race of human just because they have more than one.
All pedigreed cats are randomly bred cats somewhere down the line in their blood as well. It's just less "diluted" than most. A mut is always going to be a mut, they just have blood from many different classifications, right? We still love them. 🐈

allied

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Noone said you get a new breed. Just that you get a mix of two breeds. It's still a mixed breed cat, just not everyone cares enough to have their cat tested and registered. You don't say a human is no race of human just because they have more than one.
All pedigreed cats are randomly bred cats somewhere down the line in their blood as well. It's just less "diluted" than most. A mut is always going to be a mut, they just have blood from many different classifications, right? We still love them. 🐈
I agree! Thank you. I know that he is not 100% purebred Maine Coon paper certified, obviously. I was just wondering others opinions on him because he is a lot different than any other longhaired cat that I’ve had.

Blank.starr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

He's beautiful! 😍 He's GOT to be a Maine Coon. 🥰