I think my cat may be mixed...Maine Coon/Norwegian Forrest Cat?

allied

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is a little over 3 months, and already 6lbs! He was a stray before I adopted him. He has huge fluffy paws, and pointed ears. He acts like a dog a lot of the time and likes to play in water. I am thinking he has a bit of Maine Coon or NFC in him.
673A5355-E5AC-4B17-8BE8-8AF10EB559D6.jpeg
BA0FFE64-7F59-4E45-8B71-B67EBD0D4D4E.jpeg
807D6680-DFFB-46A5-9C1F-790225A3AF2F.jpeg
791FCF85-55A7-40F2-B996-EDA4D0A4BB3A.jpeg

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would say closer to Maine Coon lookalike. 6lbs is pretty big at 3 months. The paws are what sells it for me though. Most cats paws are smooth when they're stretched out like in your first pic. Your boys are like ramped up right at the claw which is characteristic of MC's. They have hooked claws more so than other cats. Most MC's will get hung up when they use a scratching post because of that. Those are some big paws! Can you post a side shot with his tail up?

Desti

Desti & Fantasia
Kitten
Purraise
He is a little over 3 months, and already 6lbs! He was a stray before I adopted him. He has huge fluffy paws, and pointed ears. He acts like a dog a lot of the time and likes to play in water. I am thinking he has a bit of Maine Coon or NFC in him.View attachment 319203View attachment 319204View attachment 319205View attachment 319206
He's adorable! I have a Main Coon kitty and two Norwegian Forest kitties. And, to me, your kitten looks like a blend of both too. Thank you for sharing his pictures.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh he is sooo adorably cute! He kind of reminds me of my baby boy, Lucca. He’s 5 mths but by 4 mths he was 9lbs! I’m not sure of his weight now but I’m sure he’s a little heavier. I’m really no expert but I think he’s one of those cats that will weigh 20lbs or more 😮😉❤
Jemima is 3 mths older and is smaller and lighter than Lucca...
93BDBA94-DEAA-431D-BB4B-6E5BBB12E6AA.jpeg

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow beautiful kitty💙 and yes— he said its a possibility that he could be a mix of a MC or NFC due to his size and paws
It’s funny and so incredibly cute; those big paws on such a little kitten 🐱 lol! I didn’t think about asking my vet. I adopted Lucca from our humane society here (Bend Oregon)I joined tcs because Lucca couldn’t right himself when he fell, he had to grow into himself a little bit. He’s able to right himself now 😆

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allied

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s funny and so incredibly cute; those big paws on such a little kitten 🐱 lol! I didn’t think about asking my vet. I adopted Lucca from our humane society here (Bend Oregon)I joined tcs because Lucca couldn’t right himself when he fell, he had to grow into himself a little bit. He’s able to right himself now 😆
I got my boy at our local humane society too! I am hoping he is gonna be a big fluffy cat. And omg that is so funny🥰♥

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add this pic of Lucca and they have the same features-have you asked his veterinarian what he View attachment 319242thinks?
I think you may actually have a MC. That picture is much better than the one in the tree! His markings are awesome. He would be considered a "classic" MC and pet quality. I would have a DNA test just to see what comes back.

View attachment 319243
Sorry this isn’t the best pic.... the only one I have of his whole tail☺
I was hoping for a better pic! :lol: But, he does have a fluffy tail and he seems to have a longer body like an MC. You should do a DNA test too.

allied allied Jemima Lucca Jemima Lucca I hope both of you keep posting updates with pics. I'd like to see how they look in the next 3 to 6 months!

allied

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you may actually have a MC. That picture is much better than the one in the tree! His markings are awesome. He would be considered a "classic" MC and pet quality. I would have a DNA test just to see what comes back.

I was hoping for a better pic! :lol: But, he does have a fluffy tail and he seems to have a longer body like an MC. You should do a DNA test too.

allied allied Jemima Lucca Jemima Lucca I hope both of you keep posting updates with pics. I'd like to see how they look in the next 3 to 6 months!
I will try and get a better one! And ya I was thinking of getting one of those kits😁

allied

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Will do👍

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I would say closer to Maine Coon lookalike. 6lbs is pretty big at 3 months. The paws are what sells it for me though. Most cats paws are smooth when they're stretched out like in your first pic. Your boys are like ramped up right at the claw which is characteristic of MC's. They have hooked claws more so than other cats. Most MC's will get hung up when they use a scratching post because of that. Those are some big paws! Can you post a side shot with his tail up?
I’m just wondering for myself; what information does the tail mean?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would describe your kitten as a brown tabby domestic longhair... probably brown mackerel tabby, but it's hard to see his tabby pattern since he is so fuzzy :) He's super cute!

Most cats are not any particular breed, and unlike dogs, most cats are also not mixtures of breeds. Your kitten doesn't have extreme features that make breed ancestry obvious, but it's tempting because of his size to wonder if he may have some Maine Coon ancestry. NFC ancestry is much less likely, because that's an extremely rare breed.
I didn’t think about asking my vet.
It's just as well... vets don't receive any special training on cat breed identification, and since most cats aren't any specific breed, vets don't get a lot of experience with specific cat breeds either. Generally, their guess is no better than yours :)

Blank.starr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is a little over 3 months, and already 6lbs! He was a stray before I adopted him. He has huge fluffy paws, and pointed ears. He acts like a dog a lot of the time and likes to play in water. I am thinking he has a bit of Maine Coon or NFC in him.View attachment 319203View attachment 319204View attachment 319205View attachment 319206
Omg he is sooo cute! 😍 I'd say more Maine Coons, absolutely, would have to be a mixed breed though. Also, careful, apparently on this site a lot of people say if your cat is a mix breed, he's no breed... 🤨

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m just wondering for myself; what information does the tail mean?
The length of the tail and the body can tell you a lot. MC's have a longer body than an NFC, Siberian, and Ragdoll which are the " Big Breeds. " By " breed standards " a MC's tail should be as long as the body which would mean a longer tail. The way a MC holds his tail and the fluff have a distinct look to me. They sometimes have what I call a flat side which is the back side that isn't as fluffy as the rest of the tail. I've been around MC's my whole life so things I notice others may not. My Manny in the pic is a good example of a Siberian lookalike. His top match on his DNA test wound up being Siberian. He has a shorter stockier body than a MC. All the big breeds look similar in a lot of ways.
IMG_4894 (2).JPG

Better pics of his tail
Yeah, that's what I was looking for! He has a longer body and tail. The back side of his tail is some what flat. Those aren't paws! Those are hooves! :lol: His back paws look like Charlie Chaplin shoes! :yess:

I'm pretty convinced I'm looking at a couple MC's. Having said all this....It's an educated guess. They're still considered Domestic Long Hairs technically. A DNA test is not 100% positive but, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck! A couple things you can look for. If they walk by and swipe at a toy and pick it up like it was nothing, a good indicator. They are known to be mousers and their paws a designed for it. Yowling is a characteristic. They don't climb trees. They may run up one 3 or 4 ft and jump off but, they won't climb up it. Don't let them outside alone. They are a stand your ground cat. They will not run and hide. I don't care if it's a Pit Bull. They will stand them down. They tend to like water and will probably get in the tub and drink out of the toilet. :lol:

I'm going to call mightyboosh mightyboosh here. I think he would like to see these guys and may have some input.