I Think My Cat is Passing Away and I Don't know why

Status
Not open for further replies.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry I came to your thread this late but please know that my thoughts and prayers are with Avatar and you. 🙏 It takes a special person to not only provide love for their cat but do everything humanly possible to help them in their time of need. I will be thinking of you. :hugs:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't believe that Avatar is trying to die, no living being wants to die. Avatar wants to live, and relies on you for this, he knows you won't fail him without trying everything. And he knows you'll be next to him till the end.
You are such a wonderful person, I'm proud and honored to know you!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only just seen this I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. I'm sending hugs for you and Avatar. You have done so much for Avatar and he knows you've got his back. I have read your post but never said I really think you are a amazing loving cat carer. Your in my prayers.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't think you have failed him in any way....you were there for him at the beginning and gave him what he wanted most in life, someone to love him....There are always all those should haves, could haves, at the end of life, but that beautiful boy had thirteen years that would NOT have happened without you there.
Now, he needs you to be with him, just nearby, because he knows he will always have your love. Just as you will always have a special place for his. Just keep him hydrated and warm, he will appreciate you being near. My heart goes out to you, I'll say a special prayer for you both. Try not to be sad because he is leaving you, be happy for the years he got to spend with you......

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
There's something about the special ones, the fighters, the ones who probably wouldn't have made it without you that makes this so difficult. Losing ANY pet is the absolute worst, but when you've helped them overcome so much in their lives, you end up feeling helpless when you can't help them overcome the end.
Avatar knows that you love him. I know he does, we all know it. That's what matters to him right now is that love he's always known. You gave him so much love and care, things that he may never had experienced if he hadn't been saved by you. You didn't fail him - you saved him. There's no other way to see it.
Keep loving him, keep taking care of him, keep being with him. It's what he's known his whole life and he'll remember it forever.

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What if jefferd18 jefferd18 this is avatar’s new normal? He is a bit extra struggle than before? although he sounded bad for a bit, him hanging on also sounds like he’s not trying to die and we’re all just misunderstanding him. What if he has a new sickness symptom- bad circulation, to add to his list but nonetheless- not what takes him down and requires a bit to work around and adjustment? I’m glad you still have him for another day, and another, and I hope another and another and another plenty more. You are doing great! We’re all here for you and avatar :redheartpump::redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Update:
With a heart that is worn out by grief I write that my 13 year old funny looking feline boy passed away today at 3 in the afternoon.
Avatar's condition continued to worsen as the night wore on to the point that I was shocked that he was still alive at eight this morning. Over the last few days Avatar was losing the ability to recognize me and respond to his name. By this morning he no longer looked up when I entered his room. I had to speak directly into his ear to get even a faint response, which by then was just a movement of his eyes. His meows that were always so deep and raspy had now become a high pitch mew. I made the call to my vet but was told he could not assist until after three that afternoon. In the meantime I got Avatar to drink and eat a little on his own. I also gave him fluids under the skin and turned up his heating pad. It was my last ditch effort to keep him comfortable.

In the end Avie went on his own without any assistance from the vet. I left him alone at two-forty and when I came back at three, he was gone.

Please know that both Avatar and myself fought very hard for his life. But as many of you also know, there are times when you just can't win that fight.

I am really miserable right now. For the last month or two he was always so hungry. Since I witnessed him eating I chalked it up to him scamming more wet food from me. The vet believes strongly that it was kidney failure, likely something he was born with and that it was just a matter of time. I don't know, my mind keeps wondering if I starved him. None of my other cats are underweight, but I just don't know. This is the stuff that nightmares are made of.

I want to thank each and every one of you for your support during this difficult time. When I can focus and not hurt so much I will thank you each personally.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. In the support group I moderate for GSDs with certain medical conditions, we always tell members who reach the end to watch their dog's eyes. If they do not respond when you enter the room or way their name, a critical point has been reached. Avatar lived for as long as he could with your love and protection.

There is no way you starved him. His appetite may have gone askew as he worsened, but that is no where near starvation. Don't go down that road of reframing everything that happened over the last few weeks or days and turning it into something that you can be guilty about. I firmly believe that Avatar well outlived his life expectancy. You kept him comfortable as he reached the end and he passed away in his familiar surroundings rather than having to have gone to the vet. I bet it was very peaceful and he just went to sleep.

Be good to yourself and your other cats during this time.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. You did everything you could for Avatar and he knows that. Please don't think you did anything wrong. This comes with grief and us that have lost our little one's can tell you this. You are the reason he survived and had a good life full of love remember that.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am crying, can I say that I am crying?
I am terribly sorry for your loss, but you cannot blame yourself at all, you did all you could, and the proof of this is that Avatar lived this long, despite his ailments, because of your love and dedication to him. Nobody could have done better than this, you know that and we know that.

You're still, and you'll always be a hero in my eyes.
Be strong my friend, other cats need you!

RIP Avatar, you were so much loved, give some comfort to your dad from your cloud.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
On behalf of the TCS Team, we are very sorry for your loss. :hugs: Threads are closed after such a loss as a sign of respect. When you feel up to it please consider posting a tribute thread in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in peace, Avatar. :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.