I think my cat is dying.

Snooz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello...I am new here and in pain, my Chloe Jean is dying (I think) her vet is on vacation and Chloe has never been to anyone else. She is now under my bed and she has not had anything to eat for a long time...days. I think her time is near...is it wrong to keep her at home and let her die peacefully? I am so sad.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello...I am new here and in pain, my Chloe Jean is dying (I think) her vet is on vacation and Chloe has never been to anyone else. She is now under my bed and she has not had anything to eat for a long time...days. I think her time is near...is it wrong to keep her at home and let her die peacefully? I am so sad.
I think you need to see an emergency vet asap. You really have no idea what the problem is and it could be something treatable.

Please do this kindness and get her in today.

Having knowledge will help guide you. If she is suffering you'll be able to make an educated decision on helping her cross over peacefully which is an act of love.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with the above. Does your vet provide the name/number of a back-up vet or ER vet? Call your vet's number and see. If you have any records related to your cat's previous vet visits, that would be helpful to share with a back-up/ER vet.

How old is your cat, and does she have a history of medical issues? Those would be things to point out to an ER vet, along with any of the records you might have copies of.

Dos Gatos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others that you really need to get her to a vet, regardless if it is one you have seen before or not. It could be something that can easily be treated. There have been several times my cat has been very sick and we thought it could be the end, only to have it be something that was treatable. Also, I hate to say it but I don't think she would die peacefully at home since she is obviously sick and possibly in pain, which is not a peaceful way to go. Whatever the outcome, a vet visit could help to relieve her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Snooz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much...I was so very upset when I posted my question that I left out very important information and for that I am sorry...Chloe is 15 years and is dying....there's nothing more that can be done....I was told to keep her comfortable or the vet could put her to sleep....me and her other mom decided to keep her home as she is not suffering....we are not vets and only act on their advice...Chloe is still with us...she has not had anything to eat but takes small amounts of water, it's now just a matter of time...I appreciate that you cared enough to answer and I want you to know we're being strong for Chloe but it's hard.

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We went through this in March with our cat Kori. He was 15 years old or older. He had moderate kidney disease but had developed a respiratory infection. He was treated, it got better, then it got worse and was treated again with stronger antibiotics. Because of the stronger antibiotics he quit eating. So, the vet recommended a steroid to get his appetite going again. It didn't work. We tried to syringe feed him...he was still drinking water....and then he wasn't. He died at home half way under our bed as he didn't have the strength to go any further. He was always a skinny guy so we didn't want to put him through the torture of a vet trying to find a vein to euthanize him (had that happen in the past with a 19 year old). Plus I'm sure he was dehydrated which would have made it worse. We only had him for 5 years and apparently he had a terrible life prior to us adopting him. He was skin and bones but he was beautiful! I am thankful he went peacefully at home in familiar surroundings. It truly is a personal choice. I'm so sorry for Chloe Jean and what you are going through!

Snooz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We went through this in March with our cat Kori. He was 15 years old or older. He had moderate kidney disease but had developed a respiratory infection. He was treated, it got better, then it got worse and was treated again with stronger antibiotics. Because of the stronger antibiotics he quit eating. So, the vet recommended a steroid to get his appetite going again. It didn't work. We tried to syringe feed him...he was still drinking water....and then he wasn't. He died at home half way under our bed as he didn't have the strength to go any further. He was always a skinny guy so we didn't want to put him through the torture of a vet trying to find a vein to euthanize him (had that happen in the past with a 19 year old). Plus I'm sure he was dehydrated which would have made it worse. We only had him for 5 years and apparently he had a terrible life prior to us adopting him. He was skin and bones but he was beautiful! I am thankful he went peacefully at home in familiar surroundings. It truly is a personal choice. I'm so sorry for Chloe Jean and what you are going through!
Thank you, I appreciate the support I really do...some people think you should run to the vet when we know that it would stress Chloe out and make it harder for her...we check on her often and of course offer food and water (she licks the ice we put in the water dishes...that's all) I , if I could, keep her forever..

all4mom2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with your decision, for what it's worth. 15 is a good long life, and going to the vet is torture for some cats (including mine). Euthanasia doesn't always go according to plan, either. I've seen too many friends' pets spend their final days in a cage in a hospital, poked and prodded and separated from all they know and love and terrified only to, of course, die anyway because our pets' lives are finite! May she pass peacefully.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Euthanasia is a very personal decision and cannot be forced upon someone. Everyone has their own ideology and that is theirs alone.

I have had animals euthanized and had some die at God's hand.

I believe if they aren't suffering then it's better to just let God take them to heaven.

Having said that, I had a golden retriever who's back end gave out and he could no longer get up or stand on his own. I believed it was better to help him to heaven. A dog who is unable to get up without falling is not going to have a good quality of life.

Do what you believe is best for your pets.

Snooz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with your decision, for what it's worth. 15 is a good long life, and going to the vet is torture for some cats (including mine). Euthanasia doesn't always go according to plan, either. I've seen too many friends' pets spend their final days in a cage in a hospital, poked and prodded and separated from all they know and love and terrified only to, of course, die anyway because our pets' lives are finite! May she pass peacefully.
Thank you and yes...you are absolutely correct...it would have stressed my Chloe to go to another vet and for what? Chloe died laying beside my love Betsy and myself on Sunday....she was peaceful and just slept away. We are absolutely heartbroken but we still have our boy Shadow to care for...we carry on.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you and yes...you are absolutely correct...it would have stressed my Chloe to go to another vet and for what? Chloe died laying beside my love Betsy and myself on Sunday....she was peaceful and just slept away. We are absolutely heartbroken but we still have our boy Shadow to care for...we carry on.
I am so sorry for your loss and delighted to hear she was with her loving humans as she departed this earth.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss and hope that in time you will be able to remember all the love and good times that you and Chloe shared for all those years that you were her guardian.

• Love
Reactions: tnl

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. I echo what everyone has said; I'm glad she was with you.

Snooz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss and hope that in time you will be able to remember all the love and good times that you and Chloe shared for all those years that you were her guardian.
THANK YOU!! We are still loss and taking our boy Shadow Eugene to his vet on Friday....gotta keep going but still missing my baby girl...thank you for your kindness,