I Think My Cat Is Depressed

Binx95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok so I have a 5 yr old tonkinese that adopted when’s he was 6mths old. The previous owner had him fully declawed so he’s inside only. He seemed really lonely so I gotta a kitten. He seemed fine but the kitten was extremely mean and started bullying and drawing blood. My older cat would try to love and groom and the kitten just attacked. He started to hide and seek me for safety. So my in laws took the kitten.

But now he seems to mope around and whine, and is extremely clingy. The kitten has been gone since Christmas and he still is like this.

Should I try a different kitten? Or a dog? Could he be sick?

It concerns me to have him so off.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - thanks for coming here!
You might want to run him in to a vet just to be sure. What a shame it didn't work out with the other kitten - bless your inlaws for taking that one! Is there anyone you could talk to who might have a kitten that appears to be more gentle hearted? I mean, every cat is different and sometimes there's no telling what the reactions might be, but still....

Also, did, and does, he have toys that he can bat around and chase, and kick, do you have a cat tree, scratchers and in addition toys where you interact with him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Binx95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I may run him to the be vet. He does suffer with bladder stones and had to have surgery before. But I will keep on the look for a more calm natured kitten.

And yes he loves ponytail holders and we play fetch and I always love him when he wants it.

Also thank you for your help.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds like my cat Demi, he loves other cats. Maybe look for an older cat, one that's more the same age as him, a male cat that's neutered. Maybe you could go a shelter and watch the cats and find one that gets along well with other cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Binx95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks maggiedemi. I hadn’t considered getting a cat closer to his age. I always thought that was bad. Like guaranteed fights going to happen.