I Think My Bf Might Be Abusing My Kitten But I'm Not Sure

MeganG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have a cat her name is Puddles. She had 2 litters of kittens because she keeps running out the front door to be with her soul mate, which oddly looks exactly like her but a male version. She had 5 kittens the first time and 5 the next.

Her first litter we kept 2 kittens. One was named Cam and the other was named Aspen. They grew up together and WERE so close. I've never expected my BF to do anything to my cats. His mom and grandmother are both allergic to cats and he's never had a cat for a pet before. One day Cam ended up disappearing when they were almost full cat size but they were still only a few months old. We searched all over the house for him and figured he must of ran out the door while someone was walking out. My BF was the last person to walk out when he went missing and my sister and I posted all over FB saying if anyone finds him contact us ASAP. My sister almost instantly got a reply and some lady a few roads down said she found him laying in a pile of leaves and she said it looked like he was dying. So she raced him to the vet and we are kind of a poor family and Cams overnight stay would of been $700 not including medicine or anything else and we are completely broke we have nothing so we were forced to give up ownership rights. They said he had a worm and nothing else was wrong he hasn't had his shot recently so I could believe that. But my BF was nice enough to adopt him back for us when he got better. Cam is in perfectly good shape and he's better than ever now. But for some reason when my boyfriend takes his keys out of his pocket and puts them down Cam darts into my closet. My BF's keys are on a long lanyard.

We were so happy that Cam and Aspen were finally together again they were happy as well. Maybe about 2 weeks later my BF stayed the night for the first time and I'm only 17 my mom is pretty strict so he stayed in my sister bedroom she was staying at her boyfriends house. But I always tell him if the cats are sleeping leave them alone let them sleep. He always likes to pick them up and bring them to my room and disturbs their sleep which I understand he's never had an animal like this before. But I've told him multiple times and that night he was lonely and so he took Aspen off the couch while he was sleeping and brung him into my sisters room. He came into my room at like 4am woke me up saying something is wrong with Aspen he thinks he's dead. I got up right away and ran to her room and Aspen was peacefully laying on her bed, on his side, his eyes were wide open, and he wasn't breathing.. I immediately started bawling my eyes out and he was crying too and blaming himself for it because he moved him while he was sleeping on the couch and I always tell him not to. He said Aspen screamed like as in a human scream and he's never heard any cat do that before. My brother (the room over) said he heard banging on the wall that night it was a noise he's never heard before. It was a sad depressing day after that I cried almost 3 whole days afterwards. We just got Cam back..

The second litter of kittens she had we decided to keep 2 more kittens 1 was named Sanders and the other was name Suges as in Sugar because she was all white. He decided he wanted one and at the time I didn't think he hurt Aspen I felt like Aspen may have had a worm like Cam. We let him have the kitten that looked almost exactly like Cam he named him Avicii because he loves Avicii and he thinks it's a cool name. So Avicii was finally ready to go to his new home with my BF and we gave him food, water, a cage, and some toys we told him everything he needs to do like my mom gives them a little bowl of warm milk with a little water in it at night to help them sleep. The first few days were perfectly fine. Then on a Monday I didn't go to school and he calls me around 2 and says something is seriously wrong with him he pooped red stuff and he's limping he's dragging his whole back end of his body and he was trying to crawl to the cage. I raced over to his house and made sure he was okay I took him home with me to let him rest with Spud and his brothers and sisters that were still here. He came over and brung him into my room and Avicii was perfectly fine he was running and jumping and playing with toys. So I thought it would of been a good time to let him go back home with him. The next day I ended up not going to school again and I slept until like 12pm that day and I woke up to messages like something's wrong with Avicii's foot it's gotten worst. And I messaged him up to 4 times and I said bring him here just leave him here and he messaged back saying he was already there and I went out of my room and Avicii was calmly sleeping. He couldn't walk at all. He didn't want to eat we had to pick him up and set him next to his food bowl. He's only like 3 months old so he's a really little kitten. So I asked him about it he said he doesn't know how he hurt his foot maybe he climbed up on his brick fireplace and fell off which isn't that high off the ground but it could of happened. He also told me hung him up onto his ceiling tile but his hands were close to him in case he fell I told him he shouldn't of done that in the first place. Avicii has been at my house ever since. Yesterday (Saturday) I came to his house at 6am and we slept until 2pm. Well he did I woke up at 11 and I was on his iPad and I did a little snooping and he looked up Monday night "abusing a little kitten to death" and "what happens after abusing a little kitten" and I asked him about it and he said after he put him on the ceiling he looked like he was shaken up by it so he looked that up because he was scared he might of hurt him.

Some things with Avicii he said he was watching him poop and his butthole looked weird. That's what he told me and he said the first day Aviciis foot was hurt he was in his cage and he brought him out and he was breathing super heavy. He's not getting any cat back..I just want to know what you guys think? It's too many coincidences to be an accident but he has good answers to my questions I can't fully accuse him of lying yet. He said he's never hurt one of my cats before or even hit them.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not exactly sure what happened but why was the bf hanging the cat on the ceiling tile? That sounds like abuse. Hanging is a form of torture.

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding you.

I don't know how wide the spaces are in the cage but if they are wide enough it is possible for a cat's toe or leg to become caught and injured while they struggle. They aren't like us who know to let our limbs go slack when caught.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeganG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have no idea that's what I asked him. He just kept saying Idunno. The spaces in the cage are pretty big I can stick a couple fingers through it. If his paw did go in there he would of easily been able to take it out. Also the second day he took him home I told him not to put him in the cage because he could of gotten too hot. I thought maybe that was why he was breathing so heavy. So he left his cage in his truck but his foot still ended up worst.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
A carrier is what you should use rather than a cage when transporting. Most cats are terrified of the car and a carrier makes them feel safe.
It should have this type of look.

It is also suggested if possible thread the seat belt through the handle or over the top so the carrier doesn't fall or shake.

If you could provide a picture of the cage you supplied it would be helpful.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please please have your cats fixed. It is very bad for a cat to continuously have kittens. There are people here who can give you a link to low-cost spay/neuter places if you tell us where you live.

Anyone who hangs a kitten from a ceiling tile cannot be right in the head. You have serious doubts about your boyfriend & I think you have to trust your instincts. If it were me, I would never allow him near any animal.

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hate to say it but it does sound like something is not quite right in your boyfriends mind. Wether he is intentionally hurting them or not, he is hurting them. And I would keep them far away from him.
Also please have your cats spayed and neutered. You don't need continuous litters of cats to find homes for.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck............too many coincidences for me, I would never see him again. Animal abusers are people abusers next, the thrill gets less and less until they graduate to higher forms of torture. Those who would abuse a beautiful kitten are definitely a serial killer in the making, BE CAREFUL!!!!!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck............too many coincidences for me, I would never see him again. Animal abusers are people abusers next, the thrill gets less and less until they graduate to higher forms of torture. Those who would abuse a beautiful kitten are definitely a serial killer in the making, BE CAREFUL!!!!!
:yeah:

MeganG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's a carrier like that but a bit smaller. The momma kitty had 2 litters continuously one after the other so everytime we tried to get her fixed she kept getting outside and having more were definitely getting her fixed soon.

Attachments

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think that carrier would cause a limb injury and unfortunately I have to agree with the others. This story doesn't add up.

If he did hang him as you claimed it wouldn't be surprising that he would hurt his foot.

I don't know your situation nor is it my place to tell you what to do but if it were me I would be finding a way out of that relationship.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Bravo for putting your story into words - you have good instincts - please trust them! Thank you for keeping the kitten - your bf sounds like he needs supervision around the pets. And bless you for having the courage to do your detective work and see what was on his Ipad; I normally don't approve of "snooping" but in the case of a defenseless kitten or child or other innocent, their well-being takes precedence over all! Please do not hesitate to send anyone here a Private Message if you ever need to talk confidentially - we are all here to support each other!

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
MeganG 〰

~ I'll speak as if I am your uncle ;
Take care of your cat and make sure to spay/neuter all pets .
Get rid of the " boyfriend" - you deserve better .
All the best to you !

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely follow what you are suspecting, just like the banging your brother heard the night before, and the cat suddenly was dead??!
Or the kitten being left for dead a couple blocks away, all of these stories/incidents are waaay too fishy and there is no good explanation at all.
I actually think your bf is not right in the head and is dangerous.
PLEASE don't ever leave another animal alone with him, he sounds silently psychotic to me.
Creep.....how anyone could do these things....
I say guilty!

Gosh will you get your cat fixed? For her own good. There are low/no cost places, we can help you find.

MeganG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Momma kitty has an appointment to get fixed. The BF won't be hurting any others. Thanks so much for everyone's feedback!

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"I tawt I saw a puddycat! I did! I did taw a puddycat!" - Tweety

You are second guessing yourself, when self already knows the answer. Are you in denial that you could have a monster in your midst. Animal abuse is a crime! Good liars always have good answer. Not only are you vulnerable to this person, but also your family and children. If personal belongings kept turning up missing, when the same person was around, could it be any clearer that the person is a thief? Are not other family members around the kitties too? Kitties are fine around them aren't they. Stuff seems to happen to them when they are around him. Perhaps it is time you call a professional agency and tell them about all this or report it an agency that can investigate it.

Pardon me, but I am going to quote excerpts from an article posted on the FBI's website. Article titled "Tracking Animal Cruelty" was posted on February 1, 2016. The link is below here, if you wish to read it in its entirety.

"Acts of cruelty against animals are now counted alongside felony crimes like arson, burglary, assault, and homicide in the FBI’s expansive criminal database." Tracking Animal Cruelty.

On January 1 [2016], the Bureau’s National Incident-Based Reporting System (NIBRS) began collecting detailed data from participating law enforcement agencies on acts of animal cruelty, including gross neglect, torture, organized abuse, and sexual abuse.

“Some studies say that cruelty to animals is a precursor to larger crime,” said Nelson Ferry, who works in the Bureau’s Criminal Statistics Management Unit, which manages NIBRS. “That’s one of the items that we’re looking at.”

The National Sheriffs’ Association was a leading advocate for adding animal cruelty as a data set in the Bureau’s collection of crime statistics. The association for years has cited studies linking animal abuse and other types of crimes—most famously, murders committed by serial killers like Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, and the “Son of Sam” killer David Berkowitz. The organization also points out the overlap animal abuse has with domestic violence and child abuse.

“If somebody is harming an animal, there is a good chance they also are hurting a human,” said John Thompson, deputy executive director of the National Sheriffs’ Association. “If we see patterns of animal abuse, the odds are that something else is going on.”

From another article title, All 50 States Now Have Felony Animal Cruelty Provisions! - Posted by Chris Berry, ALDF Litigation Fellow on March 14, 2014. "On March 14, 2014, South Dakota became the final state to enact a felony provision for animal cruelty." All 50 States Now Have Felony Animal Cruelty Provisions! - Animal Legal Defense Fund

Your local veterinarian may also be able to give you advice or guidance. Please don't put off action a moment longer, not only for your kitties, but also for the protection of both you and your family. FYI...anything you post here is public.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will second, third, forth, etc not to leave animals alone with him. I beg you to break up with this boy. Reading your words makes me very afraid for your safety. I don't know if this boy is intentionally hurting the kittens/cats or simply doesn't understand what he does, either way is not good. You do deserve way better!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MeganG..................I would read this it might save your life.

The animal cruelty serial killer connection
Compliments of the Humane Society.

Criminal Code Backgrounders

Linking Animal Cruelty to Human Violence

FBI and Scotland Yard recognize that violence towards animals is one of five key indicators of a person who will commit violent acts against people. A past history of violence is a predictor of future aggression.

U.S. states have felony offences for animal cruelty, with prison sentences up to 10 years.

U.S. public opinion polls show that 81% of the surveyed respondents supported strengthening animal cruelty laws. 71% were in favour of upgrading cruelty offences from misdemeanors to felonies. 87% said cruelty to animals offences should protect wild animals as well as pets. 89% said social agencies, educators, law enforcers and animal welfare organizations should share information about animal abusers as a means of reducing child abuse.

Animal abusers often suffer from low self-esteem, a history of family abuse, frustration and an inability to manage anger. Childhood cruelty may provide a child with a sense of power and mastery over animals. Typical factors are revenge, retaliation, intimidation, deviant arousal or peer pressure.

In one American study, 118 out of 135 criminals, including robbers and rapists, admitted that when they were children, they had burned, hanged and stabbed domestic animals.

78% of 63 people charged with animal cruelty had also been charged with violence or threats of violence against people (Jim McIsaac, Winnipeg Police Services).

152 criminal subjects reported 373 acts involving undue harm to animals. 60% reported at least one or more acts of childhood cruelty toward animals. 41% reported 1 - 2 cruelties, 11% admitted 3 - 4 cruel acts towards animals and 8% indicated 5 or more animal cruelties during childhood. 25% of aggressive criminals reported 5 or more childhood cruelties compared to less than 6% of moderate and nonaggressive criminals. 3/4 of all aggressive criminal subjects reported excessive and repeated child abuse. (Kellert and Felthous "Childhood Cruelty Toward Animals Among Criminals and Non-Criminals", Human Relations Volume 38, No. 12, PP. 1113 - 1129).

61% of 39 women who had been abused by their partners and were living in women's shelters in Hamilton and Owen Sound said their pets had either been abused or killed by their partners. 48% said concern for the safety of their pets prevented them from leaving their abusive home sooner.

Three surveys of women's shelters in Wisconsin and Utah showed an average of 74% of women with pets reported that their animals had been threatened, injured or killed by their abuser.

83% of families in Britain with a history of animal abuse were identified by social service agencies as at risk for child abuse or neglect (Royal SPCA, Britain, 1981).

58% of sexual homicide perpetrators who were sexually abused as children recounted childhood animal cruelty (Dr. Patricia Schene "One By One Is Not the Only Way" Advocate Fall/Winter 1993).