I Think I Over Stimulated Play Time. Opinions/suggestions?

MeowHiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cat's favorite toys is a wand toy with a fish plush at the end. They are relatively cheap at the grocery store, so I got her another one today. When I tried to play with two of them, she hissed at them, and then ran out of the room.

She came back a few seconds later and I tried playing with just one toy and she was fine. Then I tried playing with two again and she hissed. And ran out of the room again. When she came back, I played with just one toy this time and she was fine again. She sniffed the other toy that I had laying on the ground and continued playing with the one that I had in my hand.

Keep in mind both of these wand toys look exactly the same and are from the same place. My question is, could she be over stimulated? She is strictly indoor and does not have access to hunt outside. And so I thought I would switch up the routine and give her something new to try. Apparently she did not like it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I can't tell, is it the new one she doesn't like? It could be there is something about the way the new one smells---maybe it fell on the floor at some point of being unpacked and put out on the store floor, where it picked up chemical smells from cleaning...
Or she's just not ready for two of the same toy. You could try a different toy :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeowHiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's not the smell. She seems to like both of them... Just not at the same time.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could be overstimulation, but could be that she is just confused when you try to play with two at one time. If you can pick up either one - and just one - and she plays OK with either of them alone, you are probably over stimulating her with two.

My husband I have had two different toys the we have tried to simultaneously play with Feeby and she just freaked out. It's like "OK, guys, what the H--- are you doing?". We don't do that anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeowHiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That seems like what Ki was saying last night. Cat cussing :censored:

:confused:

Maybe I should put the new toy away til the old one gets broken and tossed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That seems like what Ki was saying last night. Cat cussing :censored:

:confused:

Maybe I should put the new toy away til the old one gets broken and tossed.
May be a good idea. We have a box full of toys out that Feeby can get to, and because they are 'always available' she hates them all. She might once on a rare occasion pull one out, but mostly they are ignored. So, out of sight, out of mind, may be the way to go.