I think I have a premature kitten

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Winn had a little tiny kitten on Monday morning.  I knew it was small, but I thought maybe I just forgot how tiny kittens were at birth.  Winn is a super-mom cat, and never thought about abandoning it (When I search for info about premature kittens, they're always abandoned by their mothers).  Winn had one normal kitten her last litter, and then a premature kitten 2 days later that was stillborn, so I wasn't worried when there was only one kitten.  

Winn is also super protective and hates me having any contact with her kittens, so I didn't weigh him, just left them alone, he acted normal and she took care of him.

On tuesday night, I came home to find another kitten, when I saw this new kitten I realized how tiny the first one was.  

I got the scale out after finding the second kitten and first kitten (at 36 hours old) was 2.5 oz, and the second (less than 2 hours old) was 3.5.  I couldn't remember how big they were supposed to be, so I looked up my old post from her last litter and her full term kitten was 3.25 oz when she was born.

The kitten has not been in distress, Winn is a very good mom, my house is warm, and he nurses so I have been leaving them alone.  

I named them Felix and Wolfgang (they're from a tv show, ignore my goofiness :))

I weighed them today (thursday, at 2 and 3 days old) and Felix is just about 3 oz, and Wolfgang is almost 5.

Is there anything to worry about?  To watch for?  He's pretty well furred, a little lightly on his belly, but not too bald or anything.  He's a classic tabby :)

Last edited by a moderator:

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just keep doing what you're doing. Keep an eye on him, make sure he's warm and feeding. And track his weight.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, he's tiny, but it sounds like he's already gained half an ounce, which means he's nursing well. If he's warm and not screaming for food, does not seem in distress, just keep an eye out and continue weighing daily. He should be okay. If he does not gain, you would need to supplement. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's what I figured, he seems healthy and content.  I'm glad there are only 2 kittens, so there is plenty of milk.  

samk1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't see anything to worry about. If the kitten doesn't show signs of distress.

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm not gonna stress anymore, they each gained an ounce in the 32 hours between yesterday and today's weigh ins.  Felix is 4 oz, and Wolfgang is 6.  Wolfgang is a chubby little thing.  They're both really content little kitties.  Neither made a peep when I took them out of the box to weigh them.  Mackenzie (the kitten from the last litter) meowed every time I touched her, and that would bring mama running, ready to defend.  Mackenzie grew into a pretty independent cat.  She is friendly, but not needy, and won't ever initiate cuddles.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I got the scale out after finding the second kitten and first kitten (at 36 hours old) was 2.5 oz, and the second (less than 2 hours old) was 3.5.  I couldn't remember how big they were supposed to be, so I looked up my old post from her last litter and her full term kitten was 3.25 oz when she was born.

The kitten has not been in distress, Winn is a very good mom, my house is warm, and he nurses so I have been leaving them alone.  

I named them Felix and Wolfgang (they're from a tv show, ignore my goofiness :))

I weighed them today (thursday, at 2 and 3 days old) and Felix is just about 3 oz, and Wolfgang is almost 5.

Is there anything to worry about?  To watch for?  He's pretty well furred, a little lightly on his belly, but not too bald or anything.  He's a classic tabby :)
The main reason why prematures are often abandoned by moms is exactly because they are prematures.  Mom is not ready for them, dont have the materintiy hormones yet, and no milk yet... Sometimes they are a result of  cesarean - in such cases mum is also after a major surgery to add.   But sometimes they arent  THAT premature, as here.  Combining with a good momma...

Try to weigh them every 24h, as sharp as possible.  Its easier to follow the development.

Although here, as both ARE apparently adding nicely, you shouldnt have big problems - the weighting is in part a nice souvenire fo the future owners.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a perfectly beautiful little sprite that preemie is!  I'm thrilled that I found this thread, and hope we will be updated about how this baby is doing.  Mama is doing a stellar job with her littlest one.  I am very hopeful that you've dodged the bullet on the numerous problems with preemies.  I think I'm in love.

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He looks like a little black bear cub! Adorable! [emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji]

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's huge! My goodness.

Are you able to keep mom inside until babies are weaned and she can be spayed?