I think I found my lost indoor cat after 3 years living with a feral cat colony - will she ever be the same?

cynthia1966

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All. I really could use some advise. I have a number of questions, see below, but first some.... Background: Three summers ago I brought my indoor cat up to our summer home, which is on an island with few people and lots of forest. We were there for only a couple of days when someone left the door open and my cat escaped. My son ran after her but she just bolted. I spent the remainder of the summer searching everywhere, attempting to trap and release in areas near our home. I put up flyers everywhere, posted on facebook, spoke to everyone in this small community! Everyone knew my cat was missing, and everyone has continually been on the look out for her. I had to return home after summer, but my friend continued the search with every sighting. And every summer I returned and went through the process all over again. This past year due to covid we decided to stay at our summer home, and as winter came there were more sightings of my cat. I never knew there were so many orange tabbies - not her. But, I received a tip recently that an orange tabby that they have been trying to trap since my cat went missing has made herself at home with a feral cat colony. I spoke to the caretaker and he showed me a picture and the cat has the identical white patches under her eye, on her chest, and paws. It looks exactly like my cat. He said she lets him pick her up when she is fed, and that she has been neutered and doesn't have a clipped ear. I really think that the chances are good that this is my cat. When the vet comes we will check her chip, and then I want to bring her home. Questions: But, will she ever be the same? Will she remember me? What do I need to do to help her adjust? We have a small place, and the only quiet space, away from our dog, is in my room. I thought I would make up a private space in my closet, but I will still be sleeping in the room - will this be ok for her? She used to sleep with my husband and I, so maybe that would be good.I have searched google, but have only found stories about bringing in strays or feral cats, but none about what to do when you find your very much loved cat after 3 years in the wild. The caretaker and I plan to take her to the vet when he arrives on the island in the next few days, and I am anxious. I have learned not to get my hopes up, since none of the others looked like her and most were males. But, I really think this is her, and I am afraid she wont want to come home. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cynthia1966

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
instead of keeping her in the closet take her to your bedroom. She will sleep with you or hide,which is normal, though she will probably recognize your scent. Only one way to find out.very exciting!
Well we have a very small closet so the door would be open. I just thought she might want space to hide. I am very excited, but nervous as well! Thanks!

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can’t say one way or another. But I took my cat away from his home for a few years and when I brought him back he ran through the leaves like he remembered. It’s amazing that you never gave up. If it’s her, give her grace, if it’s not??? Do you have room in your heart for her?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can tell you that I have been amazed at how cats remember. Here are some examples. I have been doing rescues a long time and often brought in members of a cat family that had been separated for a long time. Sometimes it took time and others took only moments but reunions were breathtaking! Mothers seeing grown babies, old mates recognizing a friend or head of colony finding his females or children again, they did accept each other and the bond remained. My Bajo and Whistle got separated and traumatized after adoption. Whistle was recovered and returned to me first. He did remember me. Weeks later I went to that state and located his sister, Banjo. She recognized me. I brought her back to her brother. For a short while she seemed in shock and rejected him. He continued to pursue being near her and one day he grabbed her and started washing her. I have it all in photographs. The look of recognition is clear. Banjo remembered her brother. They have remained bonded ever since. She is some changed by the experience but in other ways, still our Banjo. So, rescued ferals that were socialized, adopted out to a distant place, lost, found at different times, brought back and , yes, it may take time but they did remember. They also remembered their mother and father. The father had been apart from them for about a year I think.
Also, I rescued and raised a feral kitten. He was adopted out and is now grown. Recently I visited him.
Yes. He remembers me.
If this is your kitty, recognition may take time or may be dulled by any survival instincts that have had to be acquired. You will have to just accept her with whatever changes she has had to learn to survive and take her as she is. Help her to readjust and remember. She may be relatively unchanged once she adjusts too! Whether she is your lost kitty or not, she deserves love and I hope you will take her into your heart. Expect changes but look for the love either way.
I lost a cat too. She had been a colony cat here and knew me since birth. She vanished right after a storm but I never stopped looking for her. For a year she was gone. When she turned up, she was very skittish. I don’t know all that occurred while she was missing but I do know she faced a lot. She came in as a feral but did readjust and did remember me. She did become socialized again. As sweet as anyone could ever hope for.
One last note, I have found lost cats too. After some time I also found their families. I had them inside long enough for them to overcome the fears of being lost but Yes, They did remember their families. I think you are wonderful for never giving up! If this cat seems to be yours, I think she is. There are things you can do to help her. Put something near her that carries your scent. Scent is important to cats. If she never knew the dog , give her more time. That may be intimidating at first. Please do keep us updated!

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can tell you that I have been amazed at how cats remember. Here are some examples. I have been doing rescues a long time and often brought in members of a cat family that had been separated for a long time. Sometimes it took time and others took only moments but reunions were breathtaking! Mothers seeing grown babies, old mates recognizing a friend or head of colony finding his females or children again, they did accept each other and the bond remained. My Bajo and Whistle got separated and traumatized after adoption. Whistle was recovered and returned to me first. He did remember me. Weeks later I went to that state and located his sister, Banjo. She recognized me. I brought her back to her brother. For a short while she seemed in shock and rejected him. He continued to pursue being near her and one day he grabbed her and started washing her. I have it all in photographs. The look of recognition is clear. Banjo remembered her brother. They have remained bonded ever since. She is some changed by the experience but in other ways, still our Banjo. So, rescued ferals that were socialized, adopted out to a distant place, lost, found at different times, brought back and , yes, it may take time but they did remember. They also remembered their mother and father. The father had been apart from them for about a year I think.
Also, I rescued and raised a feral kitten. He was adopted out and is now grown. Recently I visited him.
Yes. He remembers me.
If this is your kitty, recognition may take time or may be dulled by any survival instincts that have had to be acquired. You will have to just accept her with whatever changes she has had to learn to survive and take her as she is. Help her to readjust and remember. She may be relatively unchanged once she adjusts too! Whether she is your lost kitty or not, she deserves love and I hope you will take her into your heart. Expect changes but look for the love either way.
I lost a cat too. She had been a colony cat here and knew me since birth. She vanished right after a storm but I never stopped looking for her. For a year she was gone. When she turned up, she was very skittish. I don’t know all that occurred while she was missing but I do know she faced a lot. She came in as a feral but did readjust and did remember me. She did become socialized again. As sweet as anyone could ever hope for.
One last note, I have found lost cats too. After some time I also found their families. I had them inside long enough for them to overcome the fears of being lost but Yes, They did remember their families. I think you are wonderful for never giving up! If this cat seems to be yours, I think she is. There are things you can do to help her. Put something near her that carries your scent. Scent is important to cats. If she never knew the dog , give her more time. That may be intimidating at first. Please do keep us updated!
That is amazing how the cats remembered their owners after a time being away. That’s reassuring for owners who have lost their pets. I have wondered if the mother cat I brought inside a few years ago along with her kittens knows they’re her babies🤔 I guess cats are smarter than we give them credit for.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've literally got tears in my eyes from reading your first post, cynthia1966 cynthia1966 . It really does sound like that is your missing cat. The fact that this cat is a spayed female, has similar markings, does not have a clipped ear and allows the colony caretaker pick her up, makes it seem impossible that it wouldn't be her. The microchip will prove it one way or the other, but I'd be shocked if it isn't your girl. Please let us know when you find out for sure. Good luck. :hearthrob:

As for your concerns about her coming home, keep in mind that many true ferals adjust to living as indoor cats, so although she may need a bit of time to relax and re-familiarize herself with home, I believe it will be an easy transition. :catlove:

Ellle.Beee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All. I really could use some advise. I have a number of questions, see below, but first some.... Background: Three summers ago I brought my indoor cat up to our summer home, which is on an island with few people and lots of forest. We were there for only a couple of days when someone left the door open and my cat escaped. My son ran after her but she just bolted. I spent the remainder of the summer searching everywhere, attempting to trap and release in areas near our home. I put up flyers everywhere, posted on facebook, spoke to everyone in this small community! Everyone knew my cat was missing, and everyone has continually been on the look out for her. I had to return home after summer, but my friend continued the search with every sighting. And every summer I returned and went through the process all over again. This past year due to covid we decided to stay at our summer home, and as winter came there were more sightings of my cat. I never knew there were so many orange tabbies - not her. But, I received a tip recently that an orange tabby that they have been trying to trap since my cat went missing has made herself at home with a feral cat colony. I spoke to the caretaker and he showed me a picture and the cat has the identical white patches under her eye, on her chest, and paws. It looks exactly like my cat. He said she lets him pick her up when she is fed, and that she has been neutered and doesn't have a clipped ear. I really think that the chances are good that this is my cat. When the vet comes we will check her chip, and then I want to bring her home. Questions: But, will she ever be the same? Will she remember me? What do I need to do to help her adjust? We have a small place, and the only quiet space, away from our dog, is in my room. I thought I would make up a private space in my closet, but I will still be sleeping in the room - will this be ok for her? She used to sleep with my husband and I, so maybe that would be good.I have searched google, but have only found stories about bringing in strays or feral cats, but none about what to do when you find your very much loved cat after 3 years in the wild. The caretaker and I plan to take her to the vet when he arrives on the island in the next few days, and I am anxious. I have learned not to get my hopes up, since none of the others looked like her and most were males. But, I really think this is her, and I am afraid she wont want to come home. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

*Story time disclaimer*

So...similar has happened to us. We lived in a rural setting with lots of wooded areas with plenty of domesticated and wild animals alike (Florida panhandle). Now, we got our Clementine Eleanor Beee when she was just a wee kitten and we also attempted to adopt her mother as well---that didn't work out because we are also dog people, German Shepherds to be specific, and she was very intimidating when it came to them and our 4 small children. I'd like to believe that I have a general knowledge of animal psych, it makes sense that a kitten would be more willing to grow with the dogs and the dogs, seeing her as non-threatening, would set us up for success. We were correct. Mom cat was reunited with her foster family and we kept Clem. Our female GSD who had already had a litter of pups in the past took to Clem in no time, and vice versa. That was her baby, and our male GSDs fell in line. Clem was so spoiled by everyone in the household, however, everytime one of our 4 doors downstairs leading to the outside world swung open, it peaked her ever growing curiosity. Alas, our 4 year old and 9 year old went outside for a swim in our pond, leaving the door open just a crack, enough for now 1 year and 6 month old "Clementine Eleanor Beee", to finally explore the vast woodlands surrounding our property. We tried everything to get her to come home. The most effective was to simply call her name out (in full, as if she were a human child) and she would come! We'd have her inside for a few weeks or months, then the same thing would happen; door slightly cracked and off she went! Eventually, we gave up. Kept her up to date on her vaccinations and prayed she'd continue to survive. And that she did! She had eventually worked her way up the chain and became what seemed to be the leader of the local "kitty gang". What led me to that conclusion is an experience I'll never forget... As I was walking our oldest GSD with a friend (she was walking a pup from a previous litter), we came across 2 solid black cats who looked identical and couldn't have been older than a few months or so. Both of them were circling us, as if they had no fear of the two large German Shepherds or us; almost as though we were being "sized up" in some way. Now, for setting, picture a red dirt road, sparsely populated with homes that are about a half football field away from said road on one side, the other side, densely populated by trees...endless woods. The woody side is elevated by roughly 6 feet or so and the road itself almost picturesque, with a canopy of trees as a covering. As we were in shock of the sheer bravery of these two obviously stray felines, we looked towards the woody side and lo & behold, my Clementine sitting there, perched on that elevated area, casually cleaning her paws. She let out a sharp sound (clearly communicating with the two smaller cats), and they have us space as if allowing us to pass! Then, on cue, straight out of a movie scene, several other cats appeared out of the woodworks. Now, my family and I were in the process of relocating to another state and our children often wondered what would become of Clementine Eleanor, since she was so fond of the outside world at the time. Well, my friend decided to scoop Clem up so that we may at least all say goodbye before letting her live out her days as the country cat she was so accustomed to being. Mind you, all of the cats that we saw with her that day appeared to be well fed and in good stature; we lived in a very tight knit, albeit sparsely populated community---I assume that we all had a hand in insuring the well being of feral cats in the area. We brought Clementine inside and to everyone's delight, it was as though she had never left us for the outside world at all! The dogs even rejoiced at the sight (and scent) of her. My husband and oldest daughter petitioned that we take her along with us to the suburbs we now occupy. I was hesitant for some of the obvious reasons; namely, her feeling uncomfortable moving so far away from the life she had made for herself and the fact that she would now be strictly living indoors. I'm happy to report that she has been thriving and doing so well with us now. I imagine that she may often have a nostalgic moment where she remembers roaming free with her "kitty gang", but she's hiding any appearances of sadness well, or she's truly happy to be reunited with her family, mom, dad and siblings--furry and human alike. Hoping for the best!

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I had a similar experience with a TNRed feral who had not been that friendly and lived outside with food and shelter. This cat, Margo, would sit and watch me for hours from a tree branch outside my office but would never allow me to pick her up, so we continued on our way in this manner. A few months later, in December of 2011, So Cal had a tremendous windstorm which did a lot of damage everywhere. We lost fences and trees and in the midst of it I peeked out the window and saw Margo trying to run for hiding, all the while being blown off course. The other ferals were in their beds which were under a covered patio and rode the storm out very safely. About 2 weeks later, I was out walking my GSD when Margo crawled out of a bush and walked up to me, calm as could be. She was unsure of the dog so I brought him home as we were just around the corner and went back to her and she let me pick her up and walk home with her, apparently having gotten religion during the huge windstorm.

These are all such heartwarming stories and I have no doubt the little orange girl will be happy to get home.

mxw1214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I realize it isn't the same but I had bean separated from my cats who lived with my then husband for 2 years. One of them did not like strangers and we had gotten her as a kitten. He passed away and I took the cats back. They knew me right away and immediately were at peace being with me, even the one who would hide from everyone. Cats remember !

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sure she remembers you and will be happy to reunite. But cats hate change and she will miss the outdoors for a while. My cat lives indoors during winter and indoors outdoors during summer. Even in her own home not letting her out makes her wail at the walls and such protests for about 2 weeks every time. So if she wants out and becomes depressed, dont take it personally and provide plenty of places to hide and lots and lots of treats!

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sure she remembers you and will be happy to reunite. But cats hate change and she will miss the outdoors for a while. My cat lives indoors during winter and indoors outdoors during summer. Even in her own home not letting her out makes her wail at the walls and such protests for about 2 weeks every time. So if she wants out and becomes depressed, dont take it personally and provide plenty of places to hide and lots and lots of treats!
Isn’t that the worst. I caved and let my cats be indoor/outdoor at the cost of losing them young. Now that I’m raising one without the influence of the others I won’t be doing that. Too heartbreaking. Harness training and catio for this little one.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd suggest a study of the videos on Youtube for tips. Type in:
adult feral cat taming
in the search box.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

I just remembered that my cat Coco was born on my porch 5 weeks old then disappeared then showed up a year later rubbing against the porch window. She is now 6
[/QUO

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've read that cats remember things up to 10 years. Not sure if it's true, but I took my cats off the Temptation treats for about three years. I decided to surprise my cats by asking my Secret Santa to send treats for Christmas. As soon as the bag came out of the box, they couldn't wait for it to be opened. They remembered the treats - I don't know if it was the sight, sound of the bag, or what they could smell that we couldn't.

Anyway, Elsie, who we think of as "the baby" becuase she looks forever like a kitten, got out. DH was headed out the door and she just made a run for it. He tried to catch her but she was gone. We searched for her, put up deer cams, left out food, offered a reward to all the neighbors, you name it. After my husband was asleep, I found myself out in the woods alone at two o'clock in the morning, calling for her. We were devastated. We had a new stray cat boarded because he he tends to chase other cats away, to give her a chance to come home. When we brought him home, his feelings were hurt. He went out to the edge of our yard (we live in the country, on a gravel road, so not much chance of being run over) and I went out to console him. He put on a big show of ignoring me, so I went to the edge of the woods next door to call Elsie. DH saw her in the middle of of the road. So the search began in our woods across the street. Our woods are much wilder and less well kept than the neighbor's. She was too afraid to let DH near her. She was starving, so we brought out food and water. She would pace back and forth between the food and a hiding place under a thorn bush. So nervous, but I touched her as she walked by. She knew me. Finally, I was able to catch her.

She changed after only three weeks on her own. She is much more wary. Still playful, but not as much as she was before she left. She is the same, yet very different. It's hard to explain. But I would have took her back under any circumstances, even if she became mean. She isn't of course; she has always been as sweet as a pumpkin. She doesn't seem to have any longing for outside, but we always shut her in the bedroom now when we go outside.

I'm sorry if this is boring, but I would definitely take my cat back. I think she will remember you. She will be different, no doubt. But when I think of all the adult cats who were simply wild that we've adopted, they have tamed up nicely. Our RB cat Fuzzy would only let me touch the tip of his nose the entire time he was alive, though he would let DH pick him up and carry him around. He was a completely feral creature. He loved staying in our house. My cat Daisy, a semi-feral stray, doesn't even want to go out. I think she had enough of that and doesn't want any part of it. I was afraid of her at first when DH first brought her home from the vet after being at the animal shelter. I think she was the victim of abuse, but giving her a chance was one of the best things I ever did. She went from viscious to sweet in no time flat. She is just right over beside me on the bed as I type this, just happy on the nice fluffy mattress.

So I am on Team Take My Cat back. And even if she isn't your cat, I am sure she would appreciate a loving home like yours.

Last edited:

cynthia1966

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can’t say one way or another. But I took my cat away from his home for a few years and when I brought him back he ran through the leaves like he remembered. It’s amazing that you never gave up. If it’s her, give her grace, if it’s not??? Do you have room in your heart for her?
Well after I lost Che and returned home after the summer my daughter brought me another kitty, although she knew nothing would replace Che. Then my son wanted a kitten and we got mochi. My daughter moved back home with her cat lê-la and dog. And after our 14 year old golden doodle Casey died, who was very close to Che, we now have a German Shepard named maru who is
instead of keeping her in the closet take her to your bedroom. She will sleep with you or hide,which is normal, though she will probably recognize your scent. Only one way to find out.very exciting!
Thank you! I can never give up! Although it has been a week and the caretaker said she (and the other cats) hasn't come up close enough for him to get. So I am anxiously waiting!

cynthia1966

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. He remembers me.
thank you for all these examples and advice! I am very anxious to get her home, and I find myself waking up in the middle of the night thinking about her and praying that it is!

cynthia1966

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've literally got tears in my eyes from reading your first post, cynthia1966 cynthia1966 . It really does sound like that is your missing cat. The fact that this cat is a spayed female, has similar markings, does not have a clipped ear and allows the colony caretaker pick her up, makes it seem impossible that it wouldn't be her. The microchip will prove it one way or the other, but I'd be shocked if it isn't your girl. Please let us know when you find out for sure. Good luck. :hearthrob:

As for your concerns about her coming home, keep in mind that many true ferals adjust to living as indoor cats, so although she may need a bit of time to relax and re-familiarize herself with home, I believe it will be an easy transition. :catlove:
Thanks! So, do chips always work? What if they can't find it? Your Ruby looks much like my Che, except for she has white markings
IMG_1571.JPG

cynthia1966

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not clear on something - do you have the cat now? You said "when the vet comes he will check for a microchip".
Unfortunately no! The caretaker has not been able to get her. He said sometimes people come by and give the cats food, so the next morning they're not as hungry and don't come too close. Or the weather keeps them hidden away. Or she came up and late in day and he didnt think to get her. It is making me very anxious! I am afraid something will happen before I get her, or that she will take off again! I've gone looking, but there are too many places to hide, and there was no sign of any of the 20+ cats.