I think Dushka is leaving me

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dushka was diagnosed with CKD a year ago, and then with kidney stones about 6 months ago. She was seeming to do well on a special diet with some supplements and her last check was very positive. But for hte last week she has been visibly going downhill, she sleeps all the time, does not want to eat, though I have seen her drinking and and using the box yesterday. her eyse are weeping red fluid, which makes me think that her kidneys are leaking into her body cavity. She does not seem to be in pain, does not complain if I pick her up and purrs when I hold her on my lap. But she is obviously very weak. We have a vet appointment tomorrow, and I dread the outcome.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing all you can, all Dushka wants is your love and comfort. As long as she is happy with life, let things be, you will know when life becomes too big a burden for her. Don't let her lose her dignity and have a body racked with pain, comfort her and tell her you will gladly take on that pain as your own broken heart so she can be at peace. We never want to lose them, they are such a big part of our lives that the world is a lonely place without them it. But we can't let them suffer either, if it is in our power to end the pain, we find the strength, built through love, and let them go. A decision made through love can never be wrong. Dushka would never want you to be sad because of her, she loves you too much, so hold her tight, give her those kisses and tell her how much she is loved. I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers, may God bless you both and help you through this. Take care......   

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Jenny,

I am so very sorry Dushka is unwell. Maybe it's not the end and just a bump in the road.

She is such a beauty or whoever is your profile pic.

Will send healing thoughts and prayers her way,

Hugs,'

Mia

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jenny,

I'm so so so very sorry to learn that another one of our TCS angels is in the big fight against life.

I'd like to agree with @Mia6.  My fingers are crossed that Dushka has hit a bump.

Like my sweet boy Simon, I hope Dushka is around long enough for you to both have a proper goodbye if that is the case.

Be strong and enjoy your sweet girl, let us carry the weight for you

Positive thoughts and a loving prayer go out to you and Dushka

Warmest regards, Hope

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is no worse tonight. I have managed to persuade her to eat a little, though not as much as a single proper meal would be. She doesn't want to drink, but I have given her water from a pipette several times and she is not dehydrated. She just lies on my bed, but looks up when I go in. I am keeping her there away from being annoyed by anyone. We will see what the vet says tomorrow. Sadly, my usual vet who treats her is on holiday, but I really feel I should take her in. I have a gite changeover tomorrow, too - five people out, eight people in, so it will be a busy day. Fortunately I am not expecting any workmen over the weekend.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this.  It seems like so many TCS cats have been seriously ill recently.  Sending vibes and wishes for good luck that Dushka recovers. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
So sorry for this. Sending healing vibes for Dushka

You are being the best cat mommy. You are making sure she has water and spending time with her. Hoping that it's just a blip and she has some more good days. So hoping for you!

romeo911

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about your baby. I lost my little Romeo to this disease. I hate it! It makes them so sick. Listen to these wise ones they helped me though a very hard time. It's not fair because they don't understand what's going on when they are so sick.I'm sending you my thoughts and prayers because your going through a very hard time and I and us know what your going through. Enjoy every second that you have with your sweet angel it's priceless. [emoji]128062[/emoji]

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back from the vet and she is still with me. She had a thorough exam and a blood test, and it is not good news, but not yet hopeless. Her kidney (BUN and CRE) numbers have gone up significantly since her last control test, and for the first time her liver is not doing so well. She has also lost 250gm in weight since February, a lot for a 4kg cat. They gave me the choice of leaving her there on a drip for the weekend, or bringing her home and doing lots of assist feeding (which I was doing anyway) and bringing her in on Monday for a day on a glucose drip and a scan. Since there is no-one there on constant duty on a Sunday or overnight I decided to bring her home and I will take her back early Monday morning, when my regular vet will be back from holiday, which is good. So she is back on my bed, has eaten a little herself and had some soup and water from a syringe, and she will be able to cuddle up in her usual place on my arm at night. She has no fever or infection that is immediatley obvious, and the red running of her eyes is, as I thought, probably due to the toxicity of the kidneys.

So maybe it is the beginning of the end, but we must be strong and put that day off as long as possible. I have had her for nearly 15 years since she was brought to me at 3 weeks old and suffering from serious lung infections. No-one gave her a chance then, but she pulled through and has been my constant companion ever since. Thank you everyone for your vibes anf thoughts - they are very welcome.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Jenny,

Your girl is a fighter, that is for certain. Enjoy these days with her.

Hugs,

Mia

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Dushka. 
  I've never had a CKD cat, but lost my precious Cairn Terrier dog in January to the disease.

Good vibes and prayers to you and Dushka.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Jenny, do you give her Sub-q fluids at home?  I know in Europe things are different and it's often not done at home, that's why i ask.  Here in the U.S. it's very commonplace, especially for kidney cats. 

Callie would get raised liver values every now and then (along with having kidney disease), and they would give her an antibiotic and the values would go back down.  At her advanced age, we didn't do a scan, because we figured if they found something( like a tumor), we weren't going to do anything about it since she already had chronic kidney disease
  I think she was 15 when her liver values started going u.  She lived for another year with both issues, and neither of those things ended up causing her death.  She would have days though, when I sure thought "this is it", then she would perk up again and act like nothing at all was wrong with her, even eat like a little piglet for weeks on end.

Hoping Dushka feels much better after getting some fluids

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I have never done subQ at home, though I give Wellington his insulin injections twice a day. I have never known a vet prescribe it. It might be good to ask on Monday as Dushka has just sicked up a whole stomach full of undigested food. I only hope she does not have a blockage of some sort. I was feeding her croquettes, a little at a time, with some light thin cat food soup, and water from a syringe. Now I will let her rest a little and then try again with thicker soup, and see if she keeps it down.

Last edited:

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, I have never done subQ at home, though I give Wellington his insulin injections twice a day. I have never known a vet prescribe it. It might be good to ask on Monday as Dushka has just sicked up a whole stomach full of undigested food. I only hope she does not have a blockage of some sort. I was feeding her croquettes, a little at a time, with some light thin cat food soup, and water from a syringe. Now I will let her rest a little and then try again with thicker soup, and see if she keeps it down.
I just saw this and i'm so sorry, this is so hard.  Sub Q fluids are a great therapy for CKD and can do a lot to help a cat in decline.  Giving fluids sub q isn't difficult especially if you have a 2nd person to hold her, or place her in a carrier is another good way if it opens from the top.  Your vet can instruct you on how to do this.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm just seeing this.  I'm so sorry, Jenny.  
   I hope she's able to eat something and keep it down.  

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw this and i'm so sorry, this is so hard.  Sub Q fluids are a great therapy for CKD and can do a lot to help a cat in decline.  Giving fluids sub q isn't difficult especially if you have a 2nd person to hold her, or place her in a carrier is another good way if it opens from the top.  Your vet can instruct you on how to do this.
Yes, thanks, I have seen it done. Dushka is a very quiet cat and good to medicate and feed, so I am sure I could do it by myself. And I am used to giving Wellington his insulin. I will ask the vet tomorrow. But she is taking lots of fluid by syringe. LAst night she had 20ml of catfood soup and kept it down all night. I have given her 40ml this morning, and left her washing her face on my bed - a good sign as she has not been grooming herself much. I shall continue to give liquid food during the day, every couple of hours. She is peeing but has not done a poo for at least 24 hours - but it could just be that there is no food in her gut.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Poor Dushka!

I'm so sorry Jenny. I don't have any experience CKD, but I'm sending you and Dushka vibes. I'm glad she is grooming herself again, that must be a sign that she is feeling more comfortable.