I spent an evening cooking for my cats and took pictures!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used pork instead of ground turkey because the meat needs to be between 8% and 15% fat and the ground turkey at the store has only 7% fat. I used the potato masher to mince it more without turning it into a pate. Mickey doesn’t have the teeth to chew chunks. He had 13 dental extractions but the last time I made it into a pate my cats weren’t interested so I made minced recipes. I cooked the meat because I am well aware that ground meat from the grocery store has a lot of surface area bacteria and my cat Bella will not eat it raw and with Mickey it’s hit or miss. Now the next step is getting my cats to eat the homemade food. I figure this would be similar to feeding something like Smalls without the subscription price. I once tried Smalls and canceled due to my cats not being very interested in the food and not wanting to have my credit card charged further. Subscriptions just don’t work for me. I would rather buy what I need as I need it and be fully in control financially.

Sorry the pictures didn’t post exactly in order but you can see how I did it. The recipe is in the instructions…meat, water and the premix in the correct measurements makes the cat food.

Also it’s important to cool the meat before adding the premix. You cannot cook the premix.

Last edited:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Nice illustration, M moggiegirl ! I use pork, too, but I also use turkey. It’s low fat, but the rotation with the higher fat chicken thighs and pork helps offset that. I just weigh the girls weekly to make sure their weight is where I want it to be.

There are a lot of tricks for getting your cats to eat homemade if they seem reluctant.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mickey really likes the minced chicken recipe. But Bella wants nothing to do with it. I am starting with one cube split in half next to their regular canned food and as they eat more of it I can give them more. So tomorrow I will give Mickey 90% of another cube and 10% to Bella. If only cats just ate whatever we put in front of them. I thought about buying some Fortiflora but it’s so expensive!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I thought about buying some Fortiflora but it’s so expensive!
It is, but you need so little of it that it lasts a long time. I probably use 1/3 of a packet, and maybe less, when I’m trying to get them to eat something they’re not thrilled about. Just a dusting across the top. You could also try bonito flakes which you can get at any Asian food store. Those go a long way, too, and aren’t expensive.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ll be interested to know more about how the kitties react to it. I’m not sure I could cook for all the kitties here as their entire diet but it would be nice to add some to their day! Thanks for posting this!

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was able to get Bella to eat some this morning by crumbling some freeze dried chicken liver on it. I still have a lot of canned food I need to use up so I am going to start them on a half canned and half homemade diet and when the canned is used up I can put them on mostly homemade. I want to keep them used to some canned in case I have to rely on a pet sitter who may not have the patience to allow refrigerated food to warm to room temperature.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ll be interested to know more about how the kitties react to it. I’m not sure I could cook for all the kitties here as their entire diet but it would be nice to add some to their day! Thanks for posting this!
I encourage you to even as a partial diet. Canned food is really expensive. You can save money making homemade and it’s better for them. Know Better premix allows you to choose between if you want to feed cooked cat food or raw.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I think I would go with cooked for these kitties. Some are elderly and cooked might be easier for them. Yes! Canned is expensive and I would prefer to know the ingredients a bit better.

BaileyCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Know Better can be used with raw as well.

RAW Meat Recipe
1. Scoop 1/2 cup of Know Better premix into a bowl.
2. Whisk in 1 1/2 cups cold water.
3. Add 2lb raw meat of your choice, ground or chopped.
4. Stir gently until well mixed.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Know Better can be used with raw as well.

RAW Meat Recipe
1. Scoop 1/2 cup of Know Better premix into a bowl.
2. Whisk in 1 1/2 cups cold water.
3. Add 2lb raw meat of your choice, ground or chopped.
4. Stir gently until well mixed.
True but my cats may not eat it. I know Bella won’t and it’s a maybe for Mickey.