i screwed up introducing my cats

gnocchilovrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
okay, to make a long story short. I have an almost 9 year old female cat and decided to adopt another female cat recently who is 4.
I’ve introduced cats one other time when my grandmother and I adopted a cat and then another cat half a year later. I did the introduction thing for a really short time because my grandmother insisted on just putting themcin the same room even though I read countless times to not do that. eventually i gave in and there was hissing but after a few days they have been best friends since.
This time… things have gone really bad. I only waited about 4 days to introduce them and theyve been co living ever since.
At first my older cat would just hiss and growl at her any time the new one would look at her or go anywhere near her. in the beginning my new cat would just get really close to her and lay down while the older would growl. I took this as a sign of submission? And thought that maybe things would be okay in a few days. Yeah well i was wrong. Now they get into it like once a day with the younger one chasing my older cat. It’s almost like the younger one has begun to resent my older cat for hating her so much cause at first she just seemed confused as to why she didnt like her and now she taunts/chases her. Its never really like fighting just mostly growling and the older one running away.
My new cat came from a home that got along great with other cats and she ADORES me and i adore her.
But i do feel extreme stress knowing my older cat is being caused so much stress, it makes me really sad.

Please dont lecture me on my mistake, i get it, i know, im already hitting myself over the head for it. whats done is done and now i just want to see if anyone has any advice that i dont already see on google everywhere.
Thanks!

Attachments

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s never to late. You can start over with the introduction phase. I’m currently going thru that right now. I have them separated by a gate

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gnocchilovrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s never to late. You can start over with the introduction phase. I’m currently going thru that right now. I have them separated by a gate
Yes im currently ordering a huge gate now on amazon. I live in a small apartment so ive been reluctant to confine the younger one again cause it just makes me feel bad.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes im currently ordering a huge gate now on amazon. I live in a small apartment so ive been reluctant to confine the younger one again cause it just makes me feel bad.
I totally understand the feeling bad part. I have those same feelings. Questioning if it was a good idea getting younger cats while I have an old lady of 17. I feel with the gate since the door is still open, I don’t feel like she’s confined. My 17 year old sleeps most of the day anyways. Cat introductions should happen slow. I’d rather have it go slow and they get along then just put them together and have issues. But that’s just IMO. All cats are different. They may be best friends, they may not like each other ever. Time will tell

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
As mentioned, it's never too late :hugs:

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles

Here are calming products and music sources;
There's Cat In My Arms on spotify and elsewhere, and also Youtube, Alexa cat music, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats are sources of cat music that helps calm cats.

Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;

www.bachflower.com

www.bachflower.com

Also, there is ThunderWunders calming chews, Richard's Organic Pet Calm drops, Naturevet Hemp, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy - UK (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking.

foodpuzzlesforcats.com

foodpuzzlesforcats.com

foodpuzzlesforcats.com

This post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat