I rescued a kitten and she won't stop crying

Quesadilla_uwu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My name is Victor, and the full story is:
I was riding my bike, going to my house, and I heard a meowing so I stopped. I saw this kitten right next to a tree and I went to check her out. I didn't see any wounds or scratches so I suspected she was missing. She is 1-2 months old, she is small. My mom was waiting for me so I had to make the decision to take her home with me or leave her by her own. I took her and she wasn't crying during the ride, even when we arrived home, but when we all went to sleep she started crying. I thought that if I leave her alone in the living room she would eventually stop, but she didn't. I'm writing this at 6am because she's still crying and I'm with her, a gave her food and water, I made her a bed big enough, I made a litter for her, and I'm petting her but even when she is eating or drinking she is still crying, you'll watch it in the video. I don't know if she had a family and then she got lost, but what I think is that she miss her mom and brothers.
Any responses would be totally appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Btw, I'm not an English speaker, so please excuse me if I misspelled something. Thanks again.

MoriartyX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe she wasn't lost but just got too far, and her mom would have find her eventually. As far as I know, that's why people usually advice to wait for a couple of hours before taking home kittens that seem to be lost or abandoned.

Anyway, I guess that doesn't matter now, as there is no way to turn back in time, so you shouldn't obsess about it.

I think the kitten is certainly calling for her mom, and she will stop doing so in some time. If she's eating and drinking, she's doing her things and she looks fine, you're in the right path. Just be sure to take her to a vet and get all the advice you need to care for a kitten that young.

BTW, couldn't see any link to a video ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quesadilla_uwu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess you're right. I should have waited but I got scared because there are dogs around :(
Right now she's asleep, she looks fine.
About the video, I thought I attached it, apparently it didn't, I'll try again.
Thanks for your response! Regards

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The face doesn't look too young. Hard to tell without seeing her size, but I don't think we are talking about a problematically early separation from mom. You might have separated from mom, and/or you might have saved the kitten's life. No way of telling, but I think the kitten will have a better life now regardless, thanks to you, so you shouldn't feel at all bad. You did the right thing.

You should read a "so you got a kitten" type guide if you haven't been through this before. Its important to look for stuff that could cause problems if the kitten were to eat it or knock it over ("cat proofing"). Its also useful to set the kitten up in a small room like a bedroom for the home base for a few days, so if they get scared they hide under the bed instead of behind an appliance or something. We call that a "safe room" because the kitten learns to feel safe there. As already mentioned, a vet visit is important. Even a young kitten could have some sort of health issue like parasytes, worms, fleas, stuff like that.

Quesadilla_uwu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your response!
Yes, I'm definitely going to take her to the vet.
About her family, I'll check around the place I found her for her mom. If I actually find her, should I bring the kitten back? I don't think it's the best choice, because I can't be sure that's her mom, but I want to know.
Hopefully this photo will help you to know how big she is.
Regards.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, she's not terribly old. I think she is malnourished and a little older than she appears. She is way too skinny. She is surely calling for her mama, I would bet someone abandoned her. The crying will quit in a few days, it takes about two weeks for a mama to forget her kittens and to quit calling and looking, so about the same for her. She needs someone close who will hold and cuddle with her. She is after all a little baby. Feed her as much as she wants several times a day until she is a year old. do NOT give cow's milk, goat milk or kitten replacement milk is fine. Cow's milk can cause diarrhea, etc. because most cats are lactose intolerant after a certain age. Bless you, for taking her in, loud crying is NOT usual for a kitten, they are instinctively quiet to not attract predators. I wish you well if you keep her, or wish you all the luck in finding her a good home if you can't. thank you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And, as you said, there are dogs around. That kitten was in danger, especially crying like that. You did the right thing. She'll settle down, and the more time you spend with her, comforting her, the close she will bond with you. Thank you so much for picking that little up and bringing her to a safe new home. Does she have a name yet?

And, just so you know, your command of English is excellent. I know more than a few native English speaker who don't do nearly so well.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess is around two months. She might be a bit small and thin for that age, but as Di and Bob said, street kittens often dont get as much to eat even if their mom is still around, because mom herself is struggling. And if the kitten was more like five weeks, usually the face/head looks a bit different.

Even if mom was around and doing ok, street cats dont live nearly as long as pets. Better she have a little separation anxiety and a good home. You did a good thing.

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes - you saved that baby from likely a life as a street cat or worse ... getting killed ... The crying will eventually stop ... if you can ... find a heating pad ( made for animals like bunnies, cats or dogs) or a warm ( not hot) water bottle and a stuffed animal for the little one to snuggle with or ... you. can choose to sleep with the baby ... baby will eventually see you as his/her family and adjust ... Make sure that baby eats and drinks enough and has food and water available all the time. I just raised a kitten I found from about 5 weeks on and he is now the cutest little love-bug ... I swear ... he is grateful for his home and refuses to leave the cat room or even go downstairs or outside ... give him lots of love, get him vaccinated/fixed/ spayed /neutered early and you will have a very sweet pet. I know the crying can be heartbreaking but it is worth it in the end ... outside cats don't live long and have a horrible life ...

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes kittens will miss the sounds of their moms and siblings. They make toys that mimic the heartbeat of a cat just for that purpose. Alternatively, you can put a ticking clock like an alarm clock in bed with the kitten and that will work.

Quesadilla_uwu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would like to thank you all for your answers! The baby is doing fine, she stopped crying after a day or two and now my mom and I got attached to her, she sometimes sleeps with me, sometimes with my mom, but she looks happy (I suppose, she's been purring a lot these days). Thanks to y'all. I attached a pair of pics my mom took of her in her bed so you can see how she's doing.

Attachments

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
aww what a cutie- I would estimate her to be around 6 weeks old ?? ... she is a lucky girl to have found you! She looks like a happy little kitten. Get her spayed ( sterilized) early- when she is over 2lb in weight and 8-12 weeks... or whenever the vet will agree to do it ... Female cats can get pregnant/ in heat as early as 4-5 months of age and believe me ... a spayed cat is a much better and sweeter pet! You saved that kitten's life !

MoriartyX

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So happy to read that! She definitely looks happy. I'm sure you three will do more than fine together!