I need your honest opinion

tashovlin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think a fee would be a problem. Like most have already said, I would certainly rather pay a fee and do what I can to help then see the site end. I just found you guys and don't want to lose you

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anne have you looked into expanding the cat products shop portal? Like, adding products that people in the forums mention (i.e. Soft Paws, harnesses, flea remedies, etc)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Okay, I have uploaded a "support the site" page. Could you please have a look and let me know what you think? I haven't put links to it through the site yet.
http://www.thecatsite.com/contact/support.html

Illusion - I am always on the look for new products. They need to have an affiliation program, or I ask them for a fixed price to be included. I need to add more products from the Pertmart affiliation. When I started the site, I spend 2 weeks building pages with cat products by Pets.com. The company collapsed on the very day that I uploaded the pages
I don't suppose there was a connection but it was very frustrating. That's why I have decided to get more affliates.

As I said, I will add more products by PetsMart.com.
If you see anything in their site that you particularly like, please let me know.

Thanks!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It all looks really good to me. Hopefully you can generate some income from the site. I probably missed it, but what if someone wants to help and they dont have a credit card?

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anne:

The contact for support looks good. Is this all up and running, ie., can I make my donation?

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Anne
Okay, I have uploaded a "support the site" page. Could you please have a look and let me know what you think? I haven't put links to it through the site yet.
http://www.thecatsite.com/contact/support.html

Illusion - I am always on the look for new products. They need to have an affiliation program, or I ask them for a fixed price to be included. I need to add more products from the Pertmart affiliation. When I started the site, I spend 2 weeks building pages with cat products by Pets.com. The company collapsed on the very day that I uploaded the pages
I don't suppose there was a connection but it was very frustrating. That's why I have decided to get more affliates.

As I said, I will add more products by PetsMart.com.
If you see anything in their site that you particularly like, please let me know.

Thanks!
Anne, Petsmart.com has a product called "SoftClaws" (essentially "SoftPaws" as the websites both site the exact same info and patent info) and also a decent set of claw trimmers for cats. If you got those up I'd buy them through your site.

The support site is looking good! I may not be able to pay (I'm a student, nothing more right now) I can always spread the word!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thanks!

Yes, it is up and running and can already be used. I just need to link to it from other places on the site.

illusion - I'll have a look at PetsMart tonight and see if I can set it on a page for you. I think I can do that for each of their products, but I need to check first.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thanks!

Yes, it is up and running and can already be used. I just need to link to it from other places on the site.

Do you think people would rather use checks? I don't mind giving my home address or a p.o. box for checks, I just assumed no one would want to use that (we don't usually send checks by mail in Israel - we pay with credit cards over the phone instead).

illusion - I'll have a look at PetsMart tonight and see if I can set it on a page for you. I think I can do that for each of their products, but I need to check first.

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just my personal thought-

I'd rather use a credit card. I buy a lot of things online now & have never had a problem.

but Sandie brings a good point, it's probably a good idea to give an alternative means in case someone wants to contribute & they don't have a credit card. without a credit card you can't even buy anything online at the store.

blinc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to say that I can't be sending any money your way soon Anne... I'm having a hard enough time trying to keep things afloat with my own new forum. It sounds like you've got some really wonderful ideas though... and I'm sure that with the support I see here, you shouldn't have financial difficulties for too long.

I do have an idea... one that I suggested at another forum and it worked out pretty good I think. I'm going to implement this option myself, pretty soon. Have you thought of having T-shirts made with your forum logo? The cost of having them printed isn't that high and you could probably sell them for a nice markup, and still keep them within most people's price range. The profits could help support this site. The added bonus, is that you provide a "link" to your forum, on the t-shirts, so you'd be getting free advertising as well. Just a thought and hope it might help. I'll let you know how it goes for me, if this is something you'd be interested in.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
That's a great idea! Is there a web based service for that? I would have to have that as I can't make them here and then ship them - it would be too expensive I think.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Illusion - I couldn't find a link to soft claws. I have set up a page in the shop with clawing solutions (thought it would be a good link for people who are contemplating "the D-deed").
http://www.thecatsite.com/shop/claws.html

I have contacted Petsmart and I hope to get a link to soft claws soon.

blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am thinking about new ways of making this site pay for itself. The costs are running high in terms of marketing and servers, not to mention the time I put into it.

How would you feel if I started an optional membership plan? That would mean that those who wish to help will be able to pay for an official TCS membership at a reasonable price. By optional I mean that no one has to pay, as I don't want to restrict access to any of the cat info on the site or on the forums. I think this place has actually helped save a few cats and I won't have that compromised for money.

As it's going to be optional, so will be the price. I will offer various prices and members can pay as much as they think they want to pay for what they get. Payment will be made with credit cards on a secure third party server, so it won't be a hassle with checks and all.

What do you think? I really want your honest opinion on this one. I don't want to do anything that will make people resent me or the site.

Thanks!
as soon as i am making enough money to support myself

i will definitley contribute to this site i love being apart of so dearly

i think it's a great idea Anne

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anne....I checked out the site, and I think it is great!!!
I saved it to my favorites so that when I have more time I can pull the old credit card out...dust it off....LOL

And send in a contribution!!!!!!!!!!

blinc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a great idea! Is there a web based service for that? I would have to have that as I can't make them here and then ship them - it would be too expensive I think.
Darn it! I forgot that you would have a hard time with the shipping costs... I honestly don't know if there is a website that provides this service. Thinking on it, it would seem that you'd either have to use a company here in the US, that the members could order from directly and let that company handle the shipping... or, find a member here who would be willing to have the t-shirts shipped to their home for re-distribution? That's a big commitment for someone to make though.

There's a t-shirt printer, that I was going to be seeing in the next few weeks... I'll ask them, what they would recommend for your site if you'd like? They've probably run into situations like this before... or one would think so anyways, what with the amount of internet business there is!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Please let me know what they say. I really like the idea. I think this is a great idea for an internet start-up

blinc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will do! I'll let you know the details, as soon as I find out what's what. hmmmm..... Maybe we should go into the t-shirt business!

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

alexnell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is an online store host called http://www.cafepress.com . They will put your logo/photo/etc. on shirts, mugs, and mousepads. You decide how much to charge over their base price to get a profit. They do all the billing and shipping. They calculate your profit and send you a check.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Alexnell....thank you so much for this information!!! I sure would buy some catsite t-shirts or mousepads...and i want to also welcome you to this site, as I don't recall seeing your welcome thread .

Thanks for joining us!