I need to take my cat the vet, but I've hit a rough patch and can barely pay my bills.

JRose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need to take my cat the vet, but I've hit a rough patch and can barely pay my bills. I can't event take her in for a check up as it's almost $200-$300. I slept overnight with a close friend around 3 weeks ago and my cat was fine and roaming around the house without being scared before I left, but when I got back I noticed that she hasn't been out all day, even to eat, which was a bit weird to me because she usually comes running when she hears the food. I found her hiding under the bed in the very corner where no one could find her. When I tried calling her she wouldn't respond nor let me touch her.

This continued for a couple a days and within those days she also stopped eating and drinking water. I figured she didn't like her dry food so I got her a large box of canned wet food. She responded to that, but was still eating small portions which was causing her to loose weight. She is slowly regaing the weight back tho. I must mention that she has Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV) and is reaching 5 years which is still young.

This past month has been really hard for her and it saddens me seeing her like this. My sister brought her dog over which had fleas that stuck to my cat and has been bothering her really bad as well. I am giving her the drops to rid of the fleas and bathing her, but she has been scratching herself really bad and overgrooming to the point where she has bald spots. She is not responding to my voice other than the time for dinner, and doesn't let me touch her or hold her.

Last time I gave her the medecine/drops she was scratching at me and peed on me, which was the first time she has ever done that. I have noticed currently that she is peeing in her litter box anymore and instead peeing under my bed. It is leaving strong smells, but what concerns me the most is that by the time I catch it the pee dried down to a very sticky and yellow substance.

I feel so guilty that I can't take my cat to the vet, and coming from a low income family, I can't really borrow money from anyone. I don't know what to do. If anyone could lead me to a solution? Has her time come to an end? I was googling some of the symptoms she has apart from having fiv and it is leading me towards cat diabetes, which I don't even want to think about. Yet, I can't let her keep going like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crabbysquatch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is a tough situation. I feel for you I really do. I had a cat that wasn’t eating and when I took her to the vet they said she needed some expensive dental work. There was no way I could afford it. But the vet suggested I get a certain credit card. I’m new here so I’m not sure if I’m supposed to mention it by name. It was a godsend. I don’t know if it’s available where you are at but if it is I’d look into it. It’s a nice option for pet and human medical expenses. Interest free for 12 months gives you a little breathing room when you just dont have any other option. Make sure you pay it off though because the interest is STEEP.
That coupled with pet insurance helps with the stress of making financial decisions concerning a beloved companion.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There are a number of symptoms, all of which are worrying. Not eating, hiding, a flea infestation, and not using the litter box are not necessarily all connected, but they point to something which needs to be investigated.

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!
As for getting her to eat, there are a number of tips in this thread and one of them might help, possibly baby food.

What are you using for the fleas? A bad infestation will probably not respond to the OTC products and if you are using Hartz brand, I do need to mention that there have been serious problems with it.

I am wondering, and that is all it is, if this is a bladder problem. A cat who associates the litter box with pain will often stop using it. If a serious UTI has taken hold, she needs antibiotics. A cat with FIV does have a weakened immune system which is another reason I am wondering if an infection has taken hold.

Are there rescues in the area that you can contact to see if they have a veterinary source or if they can help you in some way? I do not mean that you would surrender your cat to them.

Low Cost Veterinary Care Directory
Check this listing, which is by state, for low cost care for your cat.

A cat with diabetes will often have a good appetite despite weight loss, will drink a lot, and urinate more. I have had two diabetic cats and the condition is manageable, but not initially with home care alone.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do the care credit, or the new credit card, and if you have a credit card many now let you pay a larger purchase or bill off slowly interest free so you can spread the payments out.

Also look for lower cost dvm near you.

There may be a few issues going on here, the fleas can’t be helping, so she needs help for that. You can try bathing her too if she lets you. A flea comb will tell you if she still has fleas. Then you need to vacuum & wash everything for a month. Dvm can give you topical flea treatment if she needs it, advantage is the safest. You probably only need to treat her once and then just vacuum and clean everything that should take care of it, then don’t let anymore dogs with fleas come over 😹

My Wizard was fiv pos, taken in from outside, and he lived until about 21 or so. Fiv cats can live for many years, so don’t give up hope. Hugs 🤗

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JRose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are a number of symptoms, all of which are worrying. Not eating, hiding, a flea infestation, and not using the litter box are not necessarily all connected, but they point to something which needs to be investigated.

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!
As for getting her to eat, there are a number of tips in this thread and one of them might help, possibly baby food.

What are you using for the fleas? A bad infestation will probably not respond to the OTC products and if you are using Hartz brand, I do need to mention that there have been serious problems with it.

I am wondering, and that is all it is, if this is a bladder problem. A cat who associates the litter box with pain will often stop using it. If a serious UTI has taken hold, she needs antibiotics. A cat with FIV does have a weakened immune system which is another reason I am wondering if an infection has taken hold.

Are there rescues in the area that you can contact to see if they have a veterinary source or if they can help you in some way? I do not mean that you would surrender your cat to them.

Low Cost Veterinary Care Directory
Check this listing, which is by state, for low cost care for your cat.

A cat with diabetes will often have a good appetite despite weight loss, will drink a lot, and urinate more. I have had two diabetic cats and the condition is manageable, but not initially with home care alone.
She has has a bladder problem before, which led to her being diagnosed for FIV. Maybe that is what can be causing her illness right now, but she is eating and drinking regularly right now!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
JRose JRose Google vet services for low income families in your area. There are quite often cheaper vets that you can take your pet to.

I've had several FIV cats myself. They often suffer with dental problems, so if your cat isn't eating as much as usual it could be because of a tooth or gum infection.

Kidney disease also cause pee to smell strange. If she's had bladder problems in the past it may be connected to poor kidney health.