I Need Tips On How To Socialize A New Part-feral Cat

rosa bood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! :) I need tips on how to socialize a new part-feral,neutered,male cat with my domesicated house cat. The part feral cat I had neutered 16 days ago. He has calmed down a lot with humans but not with my sweet,docile house cat named Kiki. Today there was another incidence where Samson was staring at Kiki (Kiki was in a cage),and Samson was showing other bodily signs of aggression. Last week Samson attacked Kiki out of the blue. Samson and Kiki where loose in the house for a few days together last week,and I was watching them very carefully. However suddenly Samson charged at Kiki and he attacked him...even after I sprayed Samson with vinegar water. Since the attack last week I have kept both cats in seperate rooms. Today I decided to allow the part-feral to have access to the room where my domesicated cat was inside of a cage. I have been alternating both of them into each others cages,and I have been petting both of them seperately then letting each cat smell the other cat's scent on my hands. I also pet each cat with the scent of the other cat on my hands. I have 2 cages,one in each room. Should I put both cages in the same room? How far apart should the cages be? ...or should I keep the cats seperated in different rooms?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a glass door or baby gate that you can have the cats meet each other through? This is usually the preferred method for the first time cats have one-on-one contact, so that if one cat gets uncomfortable, they can just retreat, instead of feeling trapped in the situation, as they would if they were in a cage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosa bood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have a glass door or baby gate that you can have the cats meet each other through? This is usually the preferred method for the first time cats have one-on-one contact, so that if one cat gets uncomfortable, they can just retreat, instead of feeling trapped in the situation, as they would if they were in a cage.

rosa bood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No I do not have a glass door nor a baby gate. How would a baby gate keep the part-feral cat from jumping over it and possibly attacking Kiki? Sorry but maybe I'm not getting the point. Thanks for your comment!

rosa bood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for the articles and your comment! I sure appreciate the articles to help me learn more. I had luck in the past socializing cats but I'm not having luck this time. I need all the help I can get,lol.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Witt baby gate meetings, you put one cat on each side, along with one person with each cat, to prevent them from attacking each other.

rosa bood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no this does not work with an aggressive cat! Sorry I have been bitten already and I will not risk myself getting bit again...and infected. However thanks for your reply abyeb! :)

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My personal experience says to keep the cats in separate rooms to start with and NEVER let them share the same space at the same time or even see each other to start. First of all, why was Kiki, the resident cat, in a cage? That's the reverse of how it should be even when it is time for them to meet. That was a terrible experience for Kiki and will start things out on a bad note. It is HER house, after all, and he is an "invader" at the moment and should be confined in a part of the house away from her. I will send you an article about introducing cats to cats the proper way, and it can take time. After the initial separation, there can be "site swapping", but at first Kiki needs to feel safe in her own house, so Sampson needs to be confined in another room and not be allowed to roam the house at all. He needs to accept that the room is HIS territory. When he has calmed down some, and you are willing to let him explore the house, put Kiki away safely in another room and put a towel down to block any space under the door. This way he will get used to her smells in the house and know it is her house, and she will get used to his smells but know he has visited but is not there to attack her and is never around when she is out. They got off to a terrible start, so separate them, let some time pass, and let them forget it as best they can. THEN follow the rules about eating on either side of the door, etc. and not seeing each other. Here is a very good video that takes you through all the steps.

rosa bood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
red top rescue, I had to put both cats in separate cages in my garage attached to my house because Kiki will meow and scratch at my bedroom door all night if I let him in the house when I go to bed. Kiki actually likes being in a cage most times. Both he and Samson seemed to do well together in the garage in cages. Then I let them out in the house and they did not fight until the third day. It was very unexpected because they seemed to not mind each other living in the same house. But that changed quickly once Sampson began being affectionate with me. It seems Sampson wants me all to himself now,and he does not want another animal around me.

rosa bood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
red top rescue, I had to put both cats in separate cages in my garage attached to my house because Kiki will meow and scratch at my bedroom door all night if I let him in the house when I go to bed. Kiki actually likes being in a cage most times. Both he and Samson seemed to do well together in the garage in cages. Then I let them out in the house and they did not fight until the third day. It was very unexpected because they seemed to not mind each other living in the same house. But that changed quickly once Sampson began being affectionate with me. It seems Sampson wants me all to himself now,and he does not want another animal around me.

rosa bood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everybody...I am trying desperately to find a home for Samson the part- feral cat. He has to go because he is screaming at my door all night long to come inside. My neighbors are complaining. I am not having any luck with anybody willing to take him yet. He has become so lovable with me. I feel so distraught to think I may have to return him to the woods to live as a feral again. I don't want to do this however I don't have a choice if I can't find anybody to take him. I can't allow the part- feral (Samson) to spend time loose in my house, and take a chance of him beating up on my other cat Kiki. I keep crying when I think about this situation. :( The other option I have is find a home for Kiki my sweet,shy,docile rescued cat. I have been running ads back to back in our local newspaper for 3 months and posting "ads" in several Facebook groups for 3 months also. However I have not been able to find a home for Kiki either. Both Samson and Kiki would probably be best in a home as the only cat. Samson because he wants to fight with other cats,and Kiki because he will bond faster with a person if he is the only cat...I know this from experience. However if somebody is very patient it is possible both cats could live with other animals. I don't want any animals to get hurt by Sampson therefore I am very honest with everybody I talk to. I am also very honest about Kiki needing a quiet home. Because he needs a quiet home it has made it much more difficult to place him! I live in Beverly Hills,Florida and I would greatly appreciate anybody who would like to share both cats Facebook posts or share about them elsewhere. I have been rescuing mostly cats the past 17 years. I am strictly volunteer,I do rescue work on my own,and I don't receive any help or donations...very,very rarely has someone made a donation! I do the very best I can to help strays and feral cats as well as other animals. Over the past year I have developed severe allergies including being hypersensitive to cat and dog dander as well. I have put animals before myself many,many times in many ways. I hope with all of my heart I will find a loving home for both of these cats. When the animals finally go to wonderful homes that makes all of my pain and sacrifices worth it. I will be devastated if I am forced to bring Samson back to the woods where he use to live as a feral. I am desperate to find Samson...or Kiki a home immediately! They both can not live with me together! :(

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please please please do not release the feral back outside.
The cats need to be separated 100% of the time. At this time, they should really not be having any sight visits with each other. Did you watch the video posted above? It is the best. It gives step by steps guidelines that must be followed.

Introducing cats can be a very very long process. The cat you brought inside, does not have all of the hormones completely shut down yet. This can take up to 6 weeks. During this period, I would keep the cats separated.

I am not a huge fan of caging cats unless that is your only option. A spare bedroom or bathroom works best. Also I find it easier to work with a cat when the cat is more socialized with humans first. You need to be able to control both cats.

The cats will not stop attacking each other, until you step back and start the process over from scratch. Step one should be nothing more than scent swapping. You can take two clean wash clothes. Rub one cat down with one of the wash clothes. Get under their chin and pads of feet where there are scent glands. Do the same with the other cat. Now exchange the wash clothes. I like to put the wash cloth under bowls of food. Do not force the wash clothes on the cats. Just let them be. By placing the scent under the food bowl, the cats learn to associate each other with something good. They smell the other cat while eating something they love.

Do this for 3-7 days. Nothing more. The cats should not be seeing each other at all. When you are ready for some sight visits you will need to get a few baby gates, a screen door or build a barrier. I have used them all. Screen doors can be purchased at Lowes/Home Depot of around $20. You can place them up against a door frame and attach with tension rods. This should only be done with supervised visits. Also you can make a barrier. You can buy wire shelving and put it together with zip ties. I recently purchased one 12' piece and had them cut into 3 pieces for me. 4' was plenty for my cats as they are not big jumpers. You could always go with 6'. Here is an article that tells how to build the barrier.
Build a free-standing cat / dog / pet gate with virtually no tools

Also here are some pictures of my setup when I used a screen door and more recently when I used the barrier.

rosa bood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you shadowsrescue for your very informative comment! :) I am terribly exhausted so I must keep this comment brief. I hope I will be able to hold onto Samson...I really do! However he meows very loud all night long whether he is outside or in my house in his own room. He wants to be free in my house! I have not been getting proper sleep as a result. I really hope he quiets down very soon. I will update at a later time. Thanks again!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is there a no-kill shelter somewhere in your area that could place Samson in a loving foster or permanent home?

rosa bood

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
rosa bood rosa bood

What is the reason a shelter or rescue cannot take him?
He is part feral,he fights with other cats, he needs to be an only cat or only animal,and he could bite somebody possibly. Also they say they are full to capacity also. I still have him and am trying desperately to get him an excellent home.