I need the very super best really huge litter box, and I'm running out of steam trying to find one.

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We adopted him 8 months ago, presumably at age 12-14. He was rescued from a 3rd-story porch in Chicago in November 2018 during a cold snap by a member of our favorite local shelter: Felines and Canines. An employee who was terrified of heights, yet was so compelled to save this guy, braved the heights and unglued his nearly frozen body from the deck and brought him to the shelter. They nursed him back to relative health, but he was damaged and virtually unadoptable, with badly cauliflowered ears from years of infections, rotten teeth, and an intense fear of everything. But just a few moments with him at the shelter revealed a personality we couldn't resist.

Within just a few days, he was purring up a storm and cuddling up to my leg, as you see in the pic. Turns out, this old, damaged cat that fears everything also has a heart of gold so rich that it, by far, makes up for whatever extra care he needs.......and his littterbox-destroying tendencies.

His name is Oscar. And he will poop in a tupperware container from now on.

OMG! I am so glad for your rescue group and that he got his furever home with you. Poor baby - probably never knew love and comfort til he met you. Love those Oscar cuddles!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, I love to see a crusty old tom find a good home after years on the street!

If you can find a metal shop in your area, sometimes the workers there will do custom jobs in their free time. The price depends on the shop. So you might be able to get a metal pan made, although probably not stainless steel unfortunately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

speedracer1407

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Concrete/Cement Mixing tub from Lowes or Home Depot. Medium size. Smooth bottom, rounded corners, just the right height, easy to scoop, and SUPER STURDY.....and the best part. $7.00
I have a 50 lb cat that perches on the edge of one of these and hasn't flipped it or broken it yet.
I actually have two. One for one thing, One for two thing. It's just they way he is I guess? :lol: (he's the same with food)
Look off to the left in the photo.
Hey, sorry I missed this a few weeks back. You have a 50 lb cat!?!!? Please describe!

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Handsome cat!

I use a rubber tote as well, but check out Orschlen's or Tractor Supply - you can find similar tubs that are made of metal, not plastic. Most are designed to hold water, but would work for a litter box too and are easy to clean - I've used before to raise ducklings or chicks and they are awesome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

speedracer1407

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMG! I am so glad for your rescue group and that he got his furever home with you. Poor baby - probably never knew love and comfort til he met you. Love those Oscar cuddles!
We try not to think about whatever horrible situations he faced , and whatever trauma he's endured. It's just too painful to imagine.

But we're pretty sure he did have a loving home for at least part of his life. It took just one day for him to adapt to his new home and rediscover the pleasures of human contact. And he knew the basics of being a household cat. He knew how to use a litterbox (badly, but that's just because he's a littterbox jerk), he immediately knew the comfort of loving humans, and he knew where delicious food was dispensed and how to scream at us to make sure his bowl was always full. We think he probably ended up in a dysfunctional home with an abusive male figure who may have terrorized him for a while. Maybe years. And then left him to die.

But he's here now, with a full belly and in a warm home (it's like 19 degrees in Chicago tonight), sitting next to me right now, purring and rubbing his face on my laptop because I'm not paying enough attention to him while I type this out. He no longer hides when guests come over. And he's even become a real jerk about trying to eat our dinners when we eat them on the couch. See attached pic.

I encourage everyone one of you out there with the resources and patience to do so, to adopt an unadaptable cat. Wether he or she is old or damaged, or injured. It won't always be a miracle success story. But damn if it isn't rewarding.

Attachments