I need someone to talk to

madaboutrags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was on Lorazapam through chemo for nerves and to help me sleep. It worked... but I felt all messed up the next day and when i didn't take it at night, it was even harder to sleep than before. It took me a while before I was able to sleep without it and I didn't take it that much in the first place. Mostly just through my surgeries because I was in pain and that kept me up at night. I had to just cut myself off when the pain stopped and not take it regardless how difficult it was too sleep. Once it was out of my system I was fine. I've heard that's one of the risk of taking it for sleep. I don't know for sure, but might be worth looking into.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats the thing about AD's and anxiety meds... They all have side-effects and if you try to stop taking them cold-turkey or too quickly you will go through withdrawl. Seriously do some research to decide if this is for you. I didnt take my clonazepam because of an experience I had from taking an AD. I took half of one pill and the side effects lasted for over a week and I missed 2.5 days of work. Alot of people claim its well worth it once you get past the initial side-effects but what may be simple to one person may be more difficult to another. Everyone reacts different to meds, make sure you research any meds that your doc may perscribe and ask any questions you have during your appointment.

Seriously check out the ivillage forum (not trying to take attention away from this forum) there are everyday people on their sharing their optimistic stories being on ad's and anxiety meds, their negative stories, their side effects, etc. I found it very informative and supportive.

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-bhpaxil (Anti-depressent and anxiety med forum)
http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-bhdepression (Depression support)
http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-bhpanic (Anixety and Panic disorder forum)

These are just a few...

Im glad we are able to talk you through this but if you have questions from others about their personal experiences with meds or disorders this is a nice place to go...

Best of luck!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it might be best to take a half-dose and see how that does for you. Also be sure to drink lots of water first thing in the morning, to help get the drug out of your system.

Did they tell you they had prescribed this as a sleep aid, or to prevent panic attacks?

I think you should go ahead and call your therapist -- even if she's out of town, she can call you back, and I'm sure she'd want to know what happened.

(Gosh, if nothing else, she'll probably be thrilled that you finally took some medicine!
)

Bet it feels good to have gotten some sleep at last. But be careful driving!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you're partly not used to the Lorezapam. You can try taking less, and also take it earlier. I'm glad you slept though! But if you continue to feel groggy, definitely let the doc know! Keep it up!

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My brother, who has a high metabolism, had VERY severe reactions to most of the standard anti anxiety meds but was fine when put on high doses of Prozac. Everyone is very different and handles meds differently.

I was very lucky in finding meds that help me the first time. Lexapo has really changed my life. Meanwhile another friend of mine was AWFUL on Lexapro.

It's okay to be afraid! It's a part of getting better.
Maybe you can work on baby steps? Maybe next time you can tell her ONE thing you were afraid to talk about before. Don't feel pressured to say it all at once.
I'm saying prayers for you!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dauntingfire

My brother, who has a high metabolism, had VERY severe reactions to most of the standard anti anxiety meds but was fine when put on high doses of Prozac. Everyone is very different and handles meds differently.

I was very lucky in finding meds that help me the first time. Lexapo has really changed my life. Meanwhile another friend of mine was AWFUL on Lexapro.

It's okay to be afraid! It's a part of getting better.
Maybe you can work on baby steps? Maybe next time you can tell her ONE thing you were afraid to talk about before. Don't feel pressured to say it all at once.
I'm saying prayers for you!
Lexapro was awful for me. I took one half pill and had bad side effects for over a week. Yet alot of people love it (it is classified as the most tolerable ad amongst adults). Everyone is different as I said and there are many AD options out there. Unfortunately its all trial and error to see which ones work for you and it takes about 4-6 weeks to get it going in your system.

I agree on the babysteps. No need to rush into things if it makes you uneasy, just take it one day at a time for now.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe you and I talked about this a bit before. You really need to talk to someone and a counselor is the best person for you, but the only thing you really need to know is that you HAVE to tell the person the truth about why you want to talk to them. Some counselors are better at certain things and some will not take certain cases. Don't rush yourself, you will find the courage in time. I will send you a quick PM about a book that really helped me get the courage and to understand why I am the way I am.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wonder if it affected me so bad because they gave me a shot of it. I broke down at work and cried and couldnt stop. Still not sure what that was about if it was the meds or whatever.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, I'm sorry you had a big cry.
It might have been an initial response to the medicine, or it might have been a delayed reaction to the panic attack -- I've noticed that most often, it's after a crisis that I finally have to cry. I think it might have something to do with the relief of stress -- once your body allows you to let go of it, tears are one of the ways you (unconsciously) let it out.

Why don't you try just a half-dose tonight and see how that goes?

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well he told me to only use it when i have a really bad time or cant sleep. He said I dont have to use it everyday, The rest of the day went pretty well. Im still tired but maybe thats good so I can sleep tonight.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with CarolPetuna, try cutting back tonight to see how things go. If you still have problems with the meds, call your doctor in the morning.

When I had panic attacks I was given a 30 day supply of Clonopan. While it did help the panic attacks, I really couldn't take it during work...I would have to split the pill in half. Otherwise that stuff knocked me out for a good hour (luckily I found that out over the first weekend before going into work).

also it sounds like you need a day off to recover from that horrible panic attack. If you can, call in to work tomorrow...or just sleep in and be late.

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well i went to my appointment yesterday and showed her the release slip from the er. She talked me into trying half a pill of the lorazepan before going to bed. Well guess what? Dint help at all still couldnt sleep. So I dont know maybe i should try the whole thing tonight. She wants me to take it regular at least at night for a while to see if it will help me at least sleep.

My question is...is it really ment for helping with sleeping? The dr at the er told me to take 1 every 4 hours if I was having a bad day.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you just on the lorazepan or an anxiety/depression meds? Alot of time lorazepan and similar meds in its family are perscribed to cut down the anxiety and insomnia that is induced the first couple weeks of being put on anti-depressants and anxiety medications. If you are on either of those try taking 3/4 of the lorazepan and if that doesnt seem to cut it, try taking a full one. Its best to start off small just so you are aware of how you react to a medication. I know what it is like to have insomnia, I have that issue with or without medication. I was perscribed clonazepan (aka klonopin) for it but Im too afraid to take it (only because i react to medications in a strange way). I hope you get some sleep soon.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by april31

Well i went to my appointment yesterday and showed her the release slip from the er. She talked me into trying half a pill of the lorazepan before going to bed. Well guess what? Dint help at all still couldnt sleep. So I dont know maybe i should try the whole thing tonight. She wants me to take it regular at least at night for a while to see if it will help me at least sleep.

My question is...is it really ment for helping with sleeping? The dr at the er told me to take 1 every 4 hours if I was having a bad day.
I think that this family of drugs is used for BOTH anxiety and insomnia. I would say smaller amounts closer together for anxiety, and a slightly larger amount all at once for sleeping. Probably especially if it's anxiety that's keeping you from sleep. For myself, for a while, it was anxiety that kept me from sleeping and the regular antidepressant (zoloft) did help, but it took a week or two.

I have to take one of the lorezapam family for flying (I take Ativan - a few of them). Otherwise I freak out and embarrass my family.

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I slept all night last night!!! I took a full one before I went to bed. I dont know if it was that are what but i got to sleep within a half hour of going to bed and didnt wake up at all. The er doctor just gave me the lorazepan. So for right now thats all i am on.

He told me I could have it every four housr but I wanted to try it at night first to see what would happen. I am a little worried baout taking something during the day as my job I cant be sleepy. I might try it over the weekend to see how ill react to it.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by april31

I slept all night last night!!! I took a full one before I went to bed. I dont know if it was that are what but i got to sleep within a half hour of going to bed and didnt wake up at all. The er doctor just gave me the lorazepan. So for right now thats all i am on.

He told me I could have it every four housr but I wanted to try it at night first to see what would happen. I am a little worried baout taking something during the day as my job I cant be sleepy. I might try it over the weekend to see how ill react to it.
That's great!
It is amazing how great a full night's sleep feels, isn't it?

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Grrrrr. Ok they got me in with one of the doctors yesterday. I don't like her. I don't think she was hearing what I was trying to say. She said i have anxiety and some phobia (ok i can agree with that). She also said i have ocd and depression (totally disagree with that).

She gave me a prescription for Fluvoxamine and klonopin. I tried to tell her i wasnt interested in taking something everyday. Also from what I looked up on internet it sounds to me like you are not sopposed to take both of them together.

One of my main concerns that I tried to tell her is that I dont want to take something that will make me sleepy since I work with children all day. The side affects for both of them say they can.

She wants me to come back next week for a 15 min apointment to see how its going. I will have to pay a $15 co pay for 15 mins. I dont think I dont think ill be going back.

Everything she asked me she read from a paper and even when she was doing the prescriptions she was looking them up in a book.

She seemed really kind of I guess fake would be a word for it.

I havent filled the prescriptions yet. I dont know what to do at this time.

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well still havent come to a decision. I dont want to feel knocked out all day. But then it would be nice not too feel like my world is crashing down on me either.