I Need Some Training Advice

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

so I have these 2 kittens 6/4 months,
and I got some treats to train them to come when called and other things,
the problem is the older one isn't really interested in the treats no matter how hungry he is, and I tried different types of treats even grilled chicken, but they don't seem to be interesting to him,
the younger one (4 months) is really really fearful and would not move or do anything while I am around, even when I put some food I have to carry her over to let her eat,

P.S: I've had a kitten before at my parent's, when she was a kitten couldn't train her on anything, but when she was 10 months old I trained her and it went very well,
does it mean that kittens are harder to be trained than adults? and maybe I should wait for them to get older?

so how can I engage the older's attention? and how I eliminate the younger's fear??

please help
and thanks.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are beautiful little babies! How long have you had them? It often takes a while before they are comfortable with you, in your home. It may just be that you need to give them time. If you have not had them very long i would let them get comfortable with you first.

Good luck with training them, i know some people do with their cats. I have always found cats want to do what they want to do :) Most of mine will come if i shake the treat bag, but my little white girl is in no way motivated by food, she never will. She comes when she wants to :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are beautiful little babies! How long have you had them? It often takes a while before they are comfortable with you, in your home. It may just be that you need to give them time. If you have not had them very long i would let them get comfortable with you first.

Good luck with training them, i know some people do with their cats. I have always found cats want to do what they want to do :) Most of mine will come if i shake the treat bag, but my little white girl is in no way motivated by food, she never will. She comes when she wants to :)

I've had them for 1-4 months
the older is 4 the other is 1

Yeah how they just come when they want, make the training idea frustrating,
do u have any specific ideas to make them comfortable with me faster?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With my cats, I use a really happy excited voice as if we are going somewhere exciting, and that makes them do things like get in their carrier or follow me somewhere.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how formal a thing you mean by "training" but I can tell you aren't use the best method to get the kitten to like you. What you are doing wrong is picking up a kitten that is scared of you. That makes them associate being picked up with stress. Its totally fine if a scared kitten only eats when your not in the room. Sometimes kittens only come out at night, in the beginning. What you need to do is be patient, and let the cat be the boss of the process. Spend some quiet time as near as the kitten will allow, toss treats near the kitten, not near you. Your kitten probably does like treats just too nervous to take them. So you start with them far away. As the kitten is willing to get closer, you can try a little play with a lure toy like Da Bird or Cat Charmer or a laser pointer. Don't pick the cat up, don't forcibly hold him in your lap. If he comes close enough, start with a finger, see if he'll bump up against it with his head/chin. Then you can try a little scritch behind the ear on under the chin. Baby steps. Might take a week or more, with the sitting quietly in the vicinity being perhaps the most important part.

The next step, down the road, is to see how the kitten is willing to interact with you. Many start off only willing to be pet when tired or in a certain spot. So you do that. I shake the bag, or make a call noise, or tap, and use a gentle voice, when doing that, so that I can then take those cues that are associated with goodness and try to get the cat to come to me in similar situations. Maybe in a different but similar spot, for example. I guess that is a sort of training, but it doesn't really work like it would with a dog. Instead, my goal is just to help a skittish cat be comfortable approaching me in different situations.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I repeat the same word for the same action. My punk :devilcat2:just wanted to play so I played with him more than tried with treats. Trust me Dante knows the phrase 'wanna play?' Also my punk will come running if I call the other one's name to make sure he doesn't get left out :rolleyes: you can try saying their name often while you play. I chant "who's the best? Oh Dante's the best! Who's the best? Dante's the best! Oh yeah oh yeah!" Just to get my punk's name worked into something positive. Also I say my cat's name when it is their turn with the toy since I play with both of them at the same time.

I started when they were 18 & 6 months old. First I found the food they went nuts for (you can try babyfood) then I put it in a plate, held it over their heads, and slowly moved the plate back. The moment they sat down I praised them and put the food down. Now my guys beg by sitting quietly :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with danteshuman, teaching them their names and other words like dinner and treat can really help them to be less scared because they understand what you are saying, it helps to communicate.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let us not forget "all done" (no more brushing or nail clipping) "no mas" (no more treats) and stuff like that. Repeat the same words/phrases for your actions. Plus routine will help them.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had them for 1-4 months
the older is 4 the other is 1

Yeah how they just come when they want, make the training idea frustrating,
do u have any specific ideas to make them comfortable with me faster?
i guess i have never really tried to train a cat. i just let them be cats..lol... translate, do what they want...when they want. Mine are all in the 3 to 5 year stage right now. But i have a couple that were really scared when i first got them as rescue kittens. I just gave them time. I tried to keep everything calm, not pick them up, or physically interact with them unless they initiated it. With cats its best to be available, sit or lay on the floor and play with a toy or just read. let them come to you. dont make direct eye contact, and if they retreat dont chase them. let them go, and once they feel safe they will come back. Curiosity really helps, cats want to know whats going on, so if they see you playing calmly, reading, what every, they will want to come check it out. cats are curious by nature. Use their natural curiosity to win them over. Time is the big thing with a fraidy cat. give them time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I think this is what I couldn't see, Time.

Now I see that I should work on my relationship with my kittens first,

any ideas to get my kittens to like me and bond with me?

Thank you guys so much!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Work on your puuurrrr?? I do a fairly decent imitation by rolling r's and doing it in a heart beat pattern RrrrrrRrrrrrr like that. They may look at you weird but it helps I swear. Close your eyes or pretend like you can't see them by looking anywhere but where they are. Do slow blinks and talk softly to them. Let them take the lead affection wise. Let them guide your hand to where they want to be petted. When they have had enough petting stop and ignore them. Let them lay on your lap without petting them.

Both cats I adopted were socialized as kittens. I didn't start training them until I had one cat for a year and the other one for ?3? Months. You have to bond with them first and let them settle in.

That said I think your kittens may be less socialized. If so they will become affectionate, it just takes time. Routines will help. Also kittens/teens just want to play. As they age they will calm down and get more cuddly.