I need some opinions!

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Recently, I spent a lot of money at Chewy. I bought a LOT of cat food, dog food, treats and litter to put away because I want to know that I have it since I finally found a dry food that doesn't upset my cats tummies and wet food they ACTUALLY eat (solid gold, dry. Weruva hydration for wet, with some fancy feast once in awhile. If I mash it together... they actually eat their wet food, so... i'll take the win.) So I bought a bunch to put away, because stuff getting sold out stresses me out to no end.

When chewy delivered it, they left the boxes in my driveway on an ant hill x.x One of the cat food bags was torn and ants were all inside. I asked for a replacement and got one, along with a request to please put packages at my front door (I have a bad knee and back from an accident & my mother is elderly. My step dad is on the road usually all week.) The dog food ALSO had ants all in it, but that was such an expensive bag of dog food that we've just been dealing with it because I'm afraid if I mention the dog food they'll think I'm lying... and also the boxes they came in were destroyed so I don't know how to package it to send it back anyway.

So I let all that go after getting the cat food replacement and waited for the rest of my order. We're finally setting up the new cat room and I bought three 57 inch cat trees from chewy. This time, the delivery driver brought them to the back of my house and put them there. One of them, because of where he put them, got rain spilling off the edge of the carport and the top of the box is soaked. I'm waiting to see how the tree is once it dries out a bit, but I don't know if I should send it back or not.

I have serious anxiety when it come to dealing with stuff like this and I never know when I'm being "that" person vs. when I'm justified in being upset.

They also sent the four boxes of tiki mousse I ordered in with a bag of litter and e.e; That got messy fast. Thankfully only like two packs were busted.

I'm also always afraid that they'll think I'm lying. I feel like I'm guilty even when I'm not which I know makes no sense, x.x

I don't think I have any issues with any drivers. We spend hundreds of dollars on treats, drinks and snacks every holiday season for them, and consistent drivers we give cards with money to. We're always respectful, so I can't imagine this is a grudge thing.

Should I call? Not call?

It's so much money to spend just for things to keep getting wet or ruined.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds to me that part of this might be the way that chewy combined the order items, but most of this is on your delivery people. The way things are these days you don't know if the delivery driver is new or not. They are having to do a lot more in less time, not only because of fewer drivers but also more people are ordering online.

Try putting in orders that are less total quantity, more frequently.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I've learned not to order litter with food for that reason. It's just too heavy and damages the food every time.

So try smaller orders, only order things you want sent together in the same order.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
There are sometimes notes you can leave for the delivery person when you go to order, but I don’t know if it helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
There are sometimes notes you can leave for the delivery person when you go to order, but I don’t know if it helps.
Yeah, we have it requested to bring to the front door. But they aren't either paying attention or aren't reading it =(

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me that part of this might be the way that chewy combined the order items, but most of this is on your delivery people. The way things are these days you don't know if the delivery driver is new or not. They are having to do a lot more in less time, not only because of fewer drivers but also more people are ordering online.

Try putting in orders that are less total quantity, more frequently.
Yeah, I've learned not to order litter with food for that reason. It's just too heavy and damages the food every time.

So try smaller orders, only order things you want sent together in the same order.
Def gonna do this for food now, at least with the tiki mousse since it comes in packets x.x

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krienze Krienze , even though it's the delivery people messing up, Chewy is still responsible for getting your order to you in usable condition. Also, I've found that Chewy's customer service department is extremely helpful; they aren't going to think that you're lying when you report a problem, especially since (regarding the cat trees) you're reporting that only one of three cat trees was damaged. If you were trying to rip them off you'd be more likely to say that all three were damaged.

Regarding the cat tree delivery, I have a couple of questions:
  1. Was there some good reason why the cat trees couldn't be delivered to the front porch? (At my house, for example, if 3 cat trees were delivered to my front porch all in one shipment there would be no way anyone could get to my front door.)
  2. Was it raining at the time the delivery was made (if you know)? If not, was there good reason to expect rain that day?
If delivery to the front door wasn't a viable option then you can't fault the delivery people for taking it to the back, but you can still fault them for not placing the packages completely under cover if there was any reason that they should have expected rain that day.

My major concern about the cat tree would be that it might grow mold as a result of getting soaked that way, and this is likely to be a health hazard for you and your family as well as your cats. And it may not be immediately obvious that this is happening, either. I feel leery about you waiting to see how damaged that cat tree is before deciding whether to inform Chewy about it.

Margret

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep my Chewy auto-ship orders smaller and separate because I had Mooch's Denamarin smashed because it was in with a couple cases of Fancy Feast years ago. And treats. There's no guarantee boxes won't get tipped or upside down so it's just better. I keep the small stuff in one order and try to keep the food orders to just food.

Is your dog outdoors during the day when deliveries are being made? That can be one reason for a package not being left at your door or where you ask. A lot of places tell them not to risk getting bit or they will get in trouble at work too. It becomes a big deal and authorities have to be notified and potentially a workman's comp issue; so they really push them to avoid it.

You could request a signature required delivery if you expect to be home. I believe some shippers will require them if there are multiple large claims or a big theft at a delivery location because in the end they get charged with whatever the cost was for the items they damaged. If these orders came from the same shipping service; you could also contact their customer service to see if they know if there was an issue. Like the driver may have noted there was a dog out or something like that to explain. They can also talk to whoever delivers to your home. They don't want a bunch of claims being filed either. So it's in everyone's best interest to figure out why these things have happened to you.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like it’s a delivery company issue and not necessarily chewy. Chewy is amazing tho! And they like to try to make things right

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also started doing a biweekly food delivery instead of once a moNth because they boxes were getting to heavy

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've found that sprinling - generously - dried instant grits around ant hills tends to make the ants move somewhere else. You might try it if that's where the delivery people want to leave your stuff. Chances are you will get different delivery people and there is something about that spot that appeals to a person in a rush.

I also order sharp/hard edged things separately from soft edged things. That means ordering the hard/ cat food on a DIFFERENT day from when you order the bags of litter or dry food. I'd leave two days in between, since that will mean the first order is already on a truck. It's safer this way because you don't have to send a message and hope it gets all the way to the correct warehouse.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Next time there is a wet package, damaged package on ant hill - take a picture and send it to Chewy's.
Oh, I did! But chewy never asked for the photo, honestly. I'm assuming that since I spent so much and only asked for a replacement for one of the cheaper bags of food, they just believed me maybe. They did also replace the cat tree without wanting to see photos either, but I took them anyway.

Is your dog outdoors during the day when deliveries are being made? That can be one reason for a package not being left at your door or where you ask. A lot of places tell them not to risk getting bit or they will get in trouble at work too. It becomes a big deal and authorities have to be notified and potentially a workman's comp issue; so they really push them to avoid it.
No, absolutely not. Our dogs stay inside 90% of the time and only go out in the backyard to play/go bathroom. They don't stay out long because none of them really like the heat. Our yard is gated and locked, too. So bringing the packages to the front door actually exposes them less than bringing the packages to the back. Our dogs are never allowed to just attack gates to bark at people, either.

Sounds like it’s a delivery company issue and not necessarily chewy. Chewy is amazing tho! And they like to try to make things right
Omg they are. I was so nervous complaining about the tree and the girl was like "we'll replace it" - never asked for proof, never made me feel bad at all. I had proof ready to go, too!

I've found that sprinling - generously - dried instant grits around ant hills tends to make the ants move somewhere else. You might try it if that's where the delivery people want to leave your stuff. Chances are you will get different delivery people and there is something about that spot that appeals to a person in a rush.
Ooooh. I'm gonna try that!! Thank you for the suggestion!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't need to sprinkle a lot of the instant grits at a time. Give them 24 hours to notice them.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Super stressed again. Had to call Chewy because I ordered two new cat carriers (we only had four, and after Ida... I do NOT want to be caught without carriers for Charlie and Gracie x.x I somehow don't think any of them would like sharing a crate in an emergency.) and only one came x.x

I know it's my anxiety but I always feel like I'm being problematic when I call, or that they'll think I'm lying. Sometimes I flat out don't call because my anxiety gets the best of me but it was a 30 dollar carrier, so I couldn't let that slide x.x but oof.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First did you look at your invoice? How many carriers are listed on it? sometimes they have to send an order in two parts and the carriers, though not heavy are largish.

I do have a suggestion to help your anxiety in the future. Thread twisty ties, the paper with the metal wire in it, through the holes on the side of the carrier that attaches the top to the bottom of the carrier. This will re-enforce the little plastic locks and help keep the carrier in one piece with the cat inside it. Make a note of that now, if you like, do not depend on memory. Plastic carriers are better than cardboard. Been there done that.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
First did you look at your invoice? How many carriers are listed on it? sometimes they have to send an order in two parts and the carriers, though not heavy are largish.
Invoice says 2 and tracking says both have been delivered, but there was only one box outside and only one carrier in it =(
part of me feels like the delivery drivers are messing with me, but we've had no issues with them at ALL so I honestly couldn't begin to imagine what their grudge would be if there is one

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call Chewy. Tell them. They will get in touch with the delivery company and see what happened. They have done that for me in the past when the
whatever didn't turn up on time. After that for several months my name was written large on the outside of the box with deliver by on it. Added a bit to my previous post, check it out again.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Re-reading, this sounds like a problem in the warehouse. There is a good chance your other carrier is by the mailing table.And just didnt' get put in the box Again call Chewy, they will look for it.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Re-reading, this sounds like a problem in the warehouse. There is a good chance your other carrier is by the mailing table.And just didnt' get put in the box Again call Chewy, they will look for it.
Warehouse def isn't doing something right. I ordered one litter box for the new room to add to the others and was sent three stacked together. Chewy told me to keep them, though, when I offered to return them.