I need some advice.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Mickey often has a dirty anus. He has dried tiny poop pieces stuck to it. Every time I try to clean it with a wet paper towel he runs and then when I finally catch him and try to wipe it off it doesn’t come off. I love him but I don’t love his dirty butt. I let my cats sleep with me too and I wonder how sanitary that is. I’m wondering if I should just accept his dirty butt rather than keep chasing him through my home and keep trying to wipe it while he acts like I am going to do something to him or if I really need to figure out how to clean it. It’s hard to clean and he won’t sit still for long.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I distract my cat with a puree treat (e.g., Nulo) dispensed in a thin layer all over a tiny plate, then use water-soaked qtips to gently wipe away any poop. I used to think it was hopeless. This method works even better if you have another person to hold the plate and dispense the puree.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That happened to one of my cats. He did not like the feeling of having his butt wiped, but let me do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I distract my cat with a puree treat (e.g., Nulo) dispensed in a thin layer all over a tiny plate, then use water-soaked qtips to gently wipe away any poop. I used to think it was hopeless. This method works even better if you have another person to hold the plate and dispense the puree.
I live alone.

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Mickey often has a dirty anus. He has dried tiny poop pieces stuck to it. Every time I try to clean it with a wet paper towel he runs and then when I finally catch him and try to wipe it off it doesn’t come off. I love him but I don’t love his dirty butt. I let my cats sleep with me too and I wonder how sanitary that is. I’m wondering if I should just accept his dirty butt rather than keep chasing him through my home and keep trying to wipe it while he acts like I am going to do something to him or if I really need to figure out how to clean it. It’s hard to clean and he won’t sit still for long.
Try to “soak” your cats hair anus before using a wipe because sometimes poop is really attached to it and it hurts to them.
(If you do not have anyone to help u you can do
1-do it while your cat is eating (if it’s a slow feeder better)
2-entertain your cat with some birds on TV or a feather toy while you’re cleaning it
3-play with your cat for a long period of time and then feed him,cats usually are tired after doing these things

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh boy. The minute I touch his butt with something wet he is going to run. He won’t put up with it for long. He won’t eat or watch birds on TV if I interrupt him by soaking his butt. Do I use soap? Also Mickey is often not impressed with his toys. I try to play with him all the time and he just looks at me.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This sounds like a job for some pre-moistened pet wipes.

Something like this:

This is just an example. Get whatever kind of pet wipes you can find at your local pet store.
(We prefer to "Shop Local" instead of ordering on-line but, if on-line is your thing, okay. :) )

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh boy. The minute I touch his butt with something wet he is going to run. He won’t put up with it for long. He won’t eat or watch birds on TV if I interrupt him by soaking his butt. Do I use soap? Also Mickey is often not impressed with his toys. I try to play with him all the time and he just looks at me.
If he doesn’t like to be touched do not use soap bc it can be bad if he eat it in case you couldn’t rinse the butt… and if it still not enough try to get him in his carrier so that he won’t escape but try to give him some treats