I need some advice for my feral cats please!

Arthur Laney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I recently came into the care of two feral cats. My mother and I have been wanting cats for a while now because we've finally moved to a place that allows them. I recently started college and have been home quite a bit and miss having pets around. Anyway, the two cats that I have are both feral and I don't know if I should continue to keep them or should I return them to their colony. I've had them for about two weeks and have been working with them ever since to try to socialize them. They like to hide under my bed so I know they feel safe under there I never try to force them to do anything. I have food water and litterboxes for them to use so that's not an issue. I'm able to pet one of the cats and he likes being pet by the ear but only when coaxed with treats. But I'm not able to walk towards them or make any movement towards them because they run away. I just feel like I'm forcing them to live inside when they don't want to. I really like the kitties but I don't know if keeping them is what's best for them. Should I let them go back to their colony?

James&Taki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd like to see what other people have to say...

But I think you should keep them for now and see how it goes. Two weeks is really not that long a time, and they might get more comfortable the longer they live with you. If one of them lets you touch them, that's already pretty amazing. Strong chance they might never be super touchy-cuddly cats, but they can still grow to love you.

Especially since strays/ferals can get so badly injured, and it's so hard to care for them when they are... I think if you can give them a better quality of life in regards to food/water access, weather protection, safety, and medical care... it's worth seeing if they'll adjust to an indoor life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Arthur Laney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd like to see what other people have to say...

But I think you should keep them for now and see how it goes. Two weeks is really not that long a time, and they might get more comfortable the longer they live with you. If one of them lets you touch them, that's already pretty amazing. Strong chance they might never be super touchy-cuddly cats, but they can still grow to love you.

Especially since strays/ferals can get so badly injured, and it's so hard to care for them when they are... I think if you can give them a better quality of life in regards to food/water access, weather protection, safety, and medical care... it's worth seeing if they'll adjust to an indoor life.
Thanks for responding! I just want to do what is best for both the cats and me. I would like to make this decision early on so that I don't regret it later on. A cat that is cuddly is the kind I'm looking for and I'm having doubts that these kitties will ever be as cuddly as I would like. Again I just want what's best for them and me I'd rather not force them to like me but I just don't know what to do.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Returning them to a colony could be problematic now and I do think you have only given them a very short time so far. I have brought in ferals of all ages and some take longer then others. Not all become lap cats but all the I have brought in are much more relaxed and much safer now. No more risk of predators, cats, humans, starvation, no more disease spread by mating no more injuries from fighting. The life span jus increased for the kitties you brought it. Hiding for a time is expected. Let them approach you. Don’t pursue them as that is what a predator would do and will scare them. Try laying still on your back near them. Put the food down and lay near to keep them company. Some like to investigate you as you sleep. They know that is safer with an unknown creature. Once the are used to you being near while eating, start moving the food closer to wher you are laying. Some foods are nearly irresistible as a lure. Slightly warm Gerber 2nd all meat baby food is yummy to most cats. A little on a dish can be a bribe to come out. Don’t attempt to pet or push yourself on them at first. Let them eat near you in peace. Once you get them to eat fro a dish near you, try putting the dish on your lap or on your stomach as you lay there. Maybe a little baby food on the back of your hand to be licked off. There are a lot of tricks I have used to encourage trust with ferals. Give the time and patience and you will
Probably be happily surprised. Thanks for rescuing them from a very tough life! If they aren’t spayed neutered, that is something that can help too. Less anxiety afterwards. Please do keep us updated. I am sure that others will be along with tips they have used too.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If this helps any, here are just a few of the ferals I socialized. They were ferals as well as being traumatized and abused before I got them. No longer! Time and paience. Each ones learns trust at their own pace. You might say a couple of these are a little spoiled now.
67EDF530-7E6F-48C4-8711-2FE2CB4D5005.jpeg

Hand feeding treats to the latest

E8904814-57A3-411B-8C04-B855B7A98837.jpeg
717F263E-708F-441F-9432-6ECB3547AAD8.jpeg

Food ca be bonding but so can brushing!
5A98C254-E206-40AE-9A00-8494198E1950.jpeg
C7EB6F00-C6B0-4DEF-8F00-05647FA99B54.jpeg
557ADAD3-9AEA-41B9-ACFD-09E8A5A2DA9A.jpeg
9F4B12A1-050A-47E5-A92B-04F67ACA417C.jpeg
BD3AF27E-251F-4591-85F2-EC7C08B805B1.jpeg

Lol I can show you hundreds of pictures of ferals snuggling in my lap and giving lots of affection. I have three laying on me now. Lol

Attachments

Arthur Laney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Returning them to a colony could be problematic now and I do think you have only given them a very short time so far. I have brought in ferals of all ages and some take longer then others. Not all become lap cats but all the I have brought in are much more relaxed and much safer now. No more risk of predators, cats, humans, starvation, no more disease spread by mating no more injuries from fighting. The life span jus increased for the kitties you brought it. Hiding for a time is expected. Let them approach you. Don’t pursue them as that is what a predator would do and will scare them. Try laying still on your back near them. Put the food down and lay near to keep them company. Some like to investigate you as you sleep. They know that is safer with an unknown creature. Once the are used to you being near while eating, start moving the food closer to wher you are laying. Some foods are nearly irresistible as a lure. Slightly warm Gerber 2nd all meat baby food is yummy to most cats. A little on a dish can be a bribe to come out. Don’t attempt to pet or push yourself on them at first. Let them eat near you in peace. Once you get them to eat fro a dish near you, try putting the dish on your lap or on your stomach as you lay there. Maybe a little baby food on the back of your hand to be licked off. There are a lot of tricks I have used to encourage trust with ferals. Give the time and patience and you will
Probably be happily surprised. Thanks for rescuing them from a very tough life! If they aren’t spayed neutered, that is something that can help too. Less anxiety afterwards. Please do keep us updated. I am sure that others will be along with tips they have used too.
Thank you for responding. I've decided to give that cats more time I think that you are right I really haven't given them enough time. The tips that you've given me are very helpful to thank you!! I've raised kittens before but never a kitten that was quite so feral getting into this I just really didn't know what I was doing and I had little confidence that I was doing the right thing. I'll make sure to keep you guys updated. Thank you again!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How cute....from abused to little pink dress. That is so heartwarming!

I only have ever had ferals and strays. You do need to give it more time with true ferals and they may completely surprise you. They may be skittish, but very happy about being safe and having regular food and beds and to put them back outside might be traumatic. You don't have enough information yet, especially since one is allowing you to pet him with treats offered.

Arthur Laney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How cute....from abused to little pink dress. That is so heartwarming!

I only have ever had ferals and strays. You do need to give it more time with true ferals and they may completely surprise you. They may be skittish, but very happy about being safe and having regular food and beds, and to put them back outside might be traumatic. You don't have enough information yet, especially since one is allowing you to pet him with treats offered.
I'm glad that I was able to get them away from where they were staying I have no idea what they went through before I got them. Giving them more time is definitely the best decision here. If any of you are curious to see them here are some pictures of them eating the extra tuna from a can that I had for a snack.
20201121_185930.jpg
20201121_185930.jpg
20201121_185938.jpg

Attachments

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are they still kittens? If so, the odds are even better that they will become socialized to you. I have 4 former ferals, all trapped between 6-7 months of age. Took time, but all are spoiled house cats now.

Arthur Laney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm fairly sure that they are still young I'm guessing by looking at age charts that Noodles is around 5-6 months old and Duchess is 4-5 months old. I'm glad to hear that you were able to socialize cats that weren't super young I was starting to think that they might be a little too old.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are beautiful! They almost look like they could be siblings or closely related. I have socialized kittens and cats of all ages. My old Tom cat BJ was one I thought would be difficult. He fooled me! He has become the biggest lover of all! He was the last colony member caught and one of the easiest to socialize. He loves to lay on my shoulder at night and purr. Given time, rescues are often the most grateful, and show it. Lifelong bonds.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I can tell you right now that you are making great progress with these youngsters. No true feral would be eating from that plate with your hand stroking them. These guys are only wary and shy and I am guessing young as well...maybe under 6 months. They will definitely come around and be good pets. You were very kind to have taken them with you.

la4tunjosee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning

I've been fostering 5-6month old feral siblings for a month, I wanted to adopt them but it was suggested to take them home and see if they would become tame.
I have them in my spare bedroom and spend time with them but when I approach them they run away.
I was able to pet one a few times without her running away or any aggression.
Her brother is a different story, he's terrified and the last few times I've tried to touch him he attacked me and scratched me.
I was told by a friend of mine that has a feral and was tamed by her, she told me if I don't start touching them, they will stay wild and continue to be scared and just live like that forever in my space.
That Brough me anxiety and I felt pressured, I felt like I had a time frame until there weren't going to be able to be tamed by me.
Then I got the opposite advice from the foster coordinator, who told me to wait till they come to me.
I've come to witness how happy & content they are here living with me.
I've been able to sit right next to them while they eat and walk by them without them running.
I'm a bit nervous around them, it's my first time experiencing life with feral.
I guess being attacked a few times has put my guards up.
and having then continually run away from them after I give them so much time and space,I rarely try to approach and touch them outside the spew bedroom.
It seems like they don't care too much in interacting with me unless I make the first move. playing with them or food/treats seem to be the only way to draw them into my space.
Just looking for some advice on expertise on continuing this journey with my young ferals cats.

Thank you Josée

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – TheCatSite Articles
Should You Try And Tame A Feral Cat? – TheCatSite Articles

A month is not that long, especially for cats who were known to have been feral. Personally, I have used the "give them the space they need" approach and only then did I try to touch in any way. I don't think that there is a time frame to start to touch them, just as the rescue coordinator said. In fact, pushing the issue may result in a cat who is more unlikely to be friendly. It can take a while, so don't set deadlines like next week he needs to be friendly to me. I would not advise picking him up at this point. To many cats, including pets who don't like to be held, it signals what all cats know in their DNA...you are only picked up by your mother or by the predator who is going to kill you so it causes stress. There are tons of exceptions to this, but I have often found that even the cats who sleep in my lap or next to me in bed do not necessarily want to be picked up.

Remember that cats have all sorts of personalities. The little sister might be friendlier than the brother and that is not a bad thing. It sounds like they are both settling in though very well. Cats can be hard to read, but in the mind of those two they may be so happy to have a safe home with food and shelter that they are much more content than you think.

Treats and playtime or toys is not at all a bad way to go with cats who are getting used to you.

la4tunjosee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

A month is not that long, especially for cats who were known to have been feral. Personally, I have used the "give them the space they need" approach and only then did I try to touch in any way. I don't think that there is a time frame to start to touch them, just as the rescue coordinator said. In fact, pushing the issue may result in a cat who is more unlikely to be friendly. It can take a while, so don't set deadlines like next week he needs to be friendly to me. I would not advise picking him up at this point. To many cats, including pets who don't like to be held, it signals what all cats know in their DNA...you are only picked up by your mother or by the predator who is going to kill you so it causes stress. There are tons of exceptions to this, but I have often found that even the cats who sleep in my lap or next to me in bed do not necessarily want to be picked up.

Remember that cats have all sorts of personalities. The little sister might be friendlier than the brother and that is not a bad thing. It sounds like they are both settling in though very well. Cats can be hard to read, but in the mind of those two they may be so happy to have a safe home with food and shelter that they are much more content than you think.

Treats and playtime or toys is not at all a bad way to go with cats who are getting used to you.

Thank you for taking the time to help, it’s greatly appreciated. Patience is key!!

kriscomms

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is really helpful. If it also helps, I've have my feral for 9 months and she doesn't jump back and run away when she sniffs my hand anymore. It takes time and really that's all the advice I have since I'm in need of advice myself.