I Need Serious Advice About My Kitty.

Lacey mattox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a female calico cat. She is spayed and about two years old. Me and my boyfriend had rescued her at about two weeks old, and raised her. Her mom had left her and never came back. She suckles and needs blankets when she sleep. Ive hurd they do this when they are taken from there mom to early. She had recently started being aggressive towards my boyfriend. Before we got her fixed she always wanted my boyfriend to love on her and never really had a interest in me. But ever since we had got her spayed about a month ago she is always trying to kiss me all over the face anytime I let her. And always wants my attention. But sometimes she will want my Boyfriend to pet her. But it seems like as soon as he does or makes eye contact with her. She will make a loud meow and stare directly at him. Her ears will go back, she will make her body crouched down and stiff. Than she trys to chase him, bite and scratch him. She only does it at random times too. I don't know if it's his body spray, or bcuase he is a male. Or maybe even trying to be possessive over me.
I need some advice, please. We want to help our kitty.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since you mention it, if he is wearing a new body spray that could be it. Cats rely heavily on their sense of smell to identify others so a drastic change to his smell could be causing confusion.

Generally speaking, cats don't typically do things for no reasons. It sounds like either she is scared of him or wants to play with him. Did he used to play with her more or play rough with her? Was there some sort of incident or instance when she was startled that involved your boyfriend? It could be something as minor as he was standing nearby when a dish shattered and scared her or it could be something larger like he stepped on her tail. It could even be if he was around more when she was recovering from her spay and so she associated him with how she was feeling. It could be her adjusting to the hormone changes which could take a few months to level out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lacey mattox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He played with her sometimes before she got spayed but not rough. I used to play rough with her though, she is very strong. And I was the one who took her in to get spayed. Not sure if that matters or not. But now come to think of it. About a couple days ago, right before this started happening. It was when my family had came to visit at our house, my boyfriend had quickly put her in the bedroom before they had got here because my nephew doesn't know how to treat animals nice so we keep her away from him. He had put her on the bed, but he did it so quickly that she had bounced off the bed and had hit the side of her head on the wall. :/ I know he didn't mean too, and I know he felt bad. She was fine though when I checked on her. So I'm not sure if maybe she is scared now of him because of that? And will it ever go away? And is there anything we can do. Since we had rescued nevaeh( our cat) she is like our daughter, and we want to help her anyways we can.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That could very well be the incident that started this. Cats usually let go of negative experiences after a week or so but sometimes they hold onto them longer. It sounds like you are in a situation where that is the case. It could be she got a bruise or something so when it hurt it reminded her and restarted the negative association all over. Or she could just be really good at holding a grudge.

Best advice is to have all the good things come from your boyfriend for a while. He feeds her. He treats her. He plays with her. When it comes to feeding he should stay nearby (preferably sit on the floor near) while she eats so she firmly attaches him with the food. He should probably give her a little bit of play time each day that is just him and her so she has fun with him too.

She will forgive him eventually.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lacey mattox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all your help and advice. We will give it a try and go from there :)