I need litter that's easy on the paws.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Tiny has had issues with his paws for the last two years now. Every winter, he would get dry skin on his paw pads, and I'd switch to litter without baking soda and put on a humidifier; and that seemed to do the trick. (I think baking soda dried out his skin when he dug in the litter. Summers, there seemed to be no problems, so I'd use the baking soda type, which I prefer because it seems to last longer without smelling.)

Last winter, though, that wasn't enough. Tiny's paws actually started bleeding; it wasn't just dry skin anymore. I did the usual stuff--the humidifier was constantly running and I even tried a bit of petroleum jelly on the paws, which he licked off, of course; I had no worries about him doing that because it's a common hairball remedy and not dangerous if the cat doesn't get too much of it. No idea whether it helped.

About four weeks ago it became obvious one of Tiny's paws wasn't going to heal on its own. I took him to the vet, and the vet prescribed some steroids and antibiotics, the last of which he finished off the week before last. But while they helped, it doesn't seem to have been enough. Yesterday I caught Tiny limping, and the scab is still there.

We've been using the usual unscented clumping litter; no baking soda added. I have two boxes for two cats (used to have three, but they never used the third). Scoop the boxes every day.

I need to figure out whether the litter we've been using is a problem for Tiny, whether it irritates his paws or whether it might be getting stuck on his hurt paw and stopping it from healing.

I have absolutely no experience with declawing in cats (they come with claws; I want my cats to stay in one piece, thank you), but it seems like what's done for cats that have just been declawed is something like what Tiny would need--a litter that doesn't irritate his paws, is easy to scratch in, but won't dissuade him from using the litter box.

If it matters: Tiny is a 4-year-old neutered male who used to be semi-feral and is now a one-person cat who has absolutely fastidious litter box habits. He has never missed the box, except when physically unable to reach it. He uses his scratching post very politely, and only scratches where I allow him to scratch, mostly because those are the most attractive scratching surfaces in the house anyway. He doesn't over-groom, though he's generally a bit nervous and shy because of his history as a stray. He does lick the paw--I don't know whether that's part of the problem, whether he's keeping it clean or whether he's just making it worse.

Any advice, either about the litter or about getting Tiny's paw to heal in general?

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never heard declawed cats use a different type of litter immediately after the surgery. Who told you about that?

Cat litter is not supposed to have baking soda.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never heard declawed cats use a different type of litter immediately after the surgery. Who told you about that?

Cat litter is not supposed to have baking soda.
They're supposed to. If your vet didn't tell you about that they were negligent (many are in this situation). De-clawed cats are also supposed to have post-op pain meds for at least 2 weeks but I bet they didn't give you any of that either.

Maybe Yesterday's News? Not the big pellets but the "new softer texture!" kind. Or Carefresh-type fluffy stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, like I said--I've never had a cat declawed, or even owned a declawed cat. I only assumed that it might be part of the solution for Tiny because so many people are thoughtless or uninformed enough to declaw their cats; surely there must be a litter that can be used for all those cats with sore paws.

I've got some Yesterday's News litter in there now; I deliberately didn't wash out the boxes so they'd still smell the same, and have sprinkled a little bit of their regular litter on top. He hasn't gone in the box yet and it's been eight hours. Hasn't gone anywhere else, though. Shall watch the box and give him treats if he uses it. If not, I'll have to resort to slowly switching it from clay litter... It would take a week or more though and I really hope he'll try it today rather than having to use the clumping litter and having it stick to his injured paw. Christy is more open-minded and has already tried it. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aha! Tiny just used the box. I had to explain to him about ten times before he finally gave in and tried it. Silly cat, he was almost scared of it and insisted on scratching next to the box rather than in the litter. He got some treats afterward though.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea--I know that it gets better when I turn on the humidifier; all Tiny's other paw pads healed up fine, it was just that one right front paw that's been giving him trouble this year. So if it's seasonal, it has at least something to do with the dry air in winter--either aggravated by it or entirely due to it.

We've been using Yesterday's News for a few days now and Tiny's injured paw is much easier for him to keep clean because litter dust doesn't stick to it anymore. He doesn't like to scratch in the new litter, but he hasn't missed the box yet. He seems to be limping less, too. I may switch permanently, if I can afford it. At least for the winters.

He hates my messing with his paws now, though, poor guy. I've had to wash his paw a couple of times, and he always hates it, even though it's just washing with plain water. Don't blame him--not only am I handling his sore paw, but I'm getting it wet. The horror! :p

So here's my theory--I think it was simply that the litter with the fine clay grains was sticking to an injury caused by cracked, dry paw pads in the winter time; and Tiny had to lick his paw too often just to keep it clean--as a result the injury couldn't heal. If I'm right, then this switch should work for him since the new litter doesn't include clay dust that will stick to an injured paw; just newspaper pellets that don't particularly stick to anything.

Last edited:

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat whose paws were severely abraded and he did well with yesterday's news. If you ever need to try another litter, maybe try "swheat" brand; it is natural and very lightweight. I don't think you need to do anything now that your kitty is doing well with yesterday's news though.  http://swheatscoop.com/ 

When my foster cat had abraded paws, the vet said to soak them in warm water. It is very difficult to do this, but the best way is to fill a cup with lukewarm water and hold your cat's paw in there for as long as possible- here is a link that describes what to do. Don't use bactine or peroxide though. Just lukewarm water is probably fine. Make sure and give him treats like you did for using the right litter too :-)  http://en.allexperts.com/q/Cats-1606/2009/11/Cat-paw-infection.htm

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, like I said--I've never had a cat declawed, or even owned a declawed cat. I only assumed that it might be part of the solution for Tiny because so many people are thoughtless or uninformed enough to declaw their cats; surely there must be a litter that can be used for all those cats with sore paws.
:nod: Willowy was just responding to EmilyMayWilcha, who wasn't familiar with the concept that declawed cats need special care after they have the ends of their toes cut off. You made it clear your position on the situation. :rub:

I just recently saw another member talking about something like this in the health forum. They ended up using a cream on kitty's cracked paws, and that worked too. Let me see if I can find the thread.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to bump this to post that the problem's been mostly resolved. I switched to the Yesterday's News litter for about four weeks, kept Tiny's paw clean by cutting the fur around the injury short and washing it with warm water; naturally Tiny hated me for getting his paw wet, but what else was I supposed to do, right? The Yesterday's News wasn't ideal because it did have dust that tended to stick to the paw--thus the need to wash it. Tiny hated having to use the Yesterday's News litter; I guess the coarseness of it isn't satisfying to dig in. He used it anyway, though. I guess he figured that it was better than not having anything to dig in at all. I'm lucky I have a cat with such strong litter-box instincts.

Now that Tiny's paw has healed, we've switched back to clumping litter, but I'm keeping an eye on his paw pads and buying the kind without baking soda. Hopefully that will be good enough; if that doesn't work, I'll try something like sand. When I poured the clumping litter back into the box, Tiny rubbed up against me, jumped straight in, and used the box. I guess he's relieved to have the old stuff back. Now if we can only prevent any further injury to the paw pads...

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a little late on seeing this thread, but wanted to make another suggestion.  I buy the Feline Pine original. I like it because it's not tiny little grains that can get stuck, or embedded in their paws. Angel likes it fine. No problems. I also like it because there is less to vac up outside of the box w/ the pellet sized litter.  Also of course because it's all natural.  ( I don't know how anyone could buy anything w/ chemicals in it, when you know cats lick their paws.)

Good luck, & I'm glad your little guy is doing better!!

freddys friend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just read your post regarding needing litter easy on the paws, my cat has the same problem, but I'm not sure it's a seasonal problem. He is  a year and half old neutered male, and the same as your cat, semi feral. He started limping, and when I checked his paw it was bleeding, this healed and over a month or so would reoccur every couple of weeks, so I made an appointment with the vet to have it checked for infection, the vet looked at it and also at the other paws, both hind paws had scabs on them and were swollen too.  The vet said that it appears to be an Auto Immune problem, but we would have to do biopsy to positively determine it's Auto Immune related problem.  He sent me home with antibiotics, and I'm to clean his paws and rub Neosporin on each paw affected. I hope it works. However, there is a problem with the litter we are using, it's clumping and deodorized, but it's very heavy and he scratches a deep hole, and when finished he then scratched till he has a huge mound covering his business. I think the heavy scratching could be the cause of his paw problem. 

My question is did you find a litter that works better for your kitty Tiny?  If so what is it, I prefer clumping, but if I need to will use other litter so he doesn't have this problem, I would really like to see it heal, his bleeding and infections are staining the area rugs, and his bedding.

Thank you for any advice you can give.

Freddys Friend

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the sWheatScoop, it's soft like flour, made out of wheat.  Naures Miracle corn cob litter is also very soft, and to save money, you can get the FreshResults version of the same thing at WalMart -- it's really the same product made by the same company, just packaged differently for different markets.  The FreshResults costs $5.98 for a 10 lb. bag while the Natures Miracle costs abuot $11.98 for the same thing. 

You could also try one of the Precious Cat special litters:

[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings></xml><![endif]

http://www.preciouscat.com/litter-box-solutions/

[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument></xml><![endif][if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles></xml><![endif][if gte mso 10]><style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-priority:99;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin-top:0in;mso-para-margin-right:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;mso-para-margin-left:0in;line-height:115%;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}</style><![endif]

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, since Tiny's paws healed, the problem hasn't recurred, and we're using the same clumping litter as before, making sure not to get the sort with baking soda. I also run a humidifier on dry winter days, since that seems to aggravate his paw pad dryness--and makes my asthma worse, besides.

In a weird way, the asthma is a blessing in disguise, because I react to pretty much the same things Tiny's paws do--dry, cold air (for me, when I'm out exercising in the winter, and for Tiny, when it's dry and cold indoors; he doesn't need to go outside to use the hallway as a kitty racetrack). A humidifier solves the dry-air problem for both of us. I mightn't have thought about it if I hadn't already been searching for ways to manage asthma without having to take so many meds, but since I never need an emergency inhaler and Tiny never gets bloody paw prints on anything, I think we're both happy.

gi frances

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The pine oil is toxic to cats, and I believe they might use chemicals to reduce the amount of oil in the pine..but you can still smell it.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The pine oil is toxic to cats, and I believe they might use chemicals to reduce the amount of oil in the pine..but you can still smell it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pin...ine+oil+in+Feline+Pine+cat+litter"&filter=0&*

The manufacturer's statement:

"The production of our Feline Pine products incorporates both kiln-drying at 380 degrees (bakes out oils, phenols, and hydrocarbons) and pressurization (10,000 foot-pounds squeezes out further compounds) before the product reaches its packaging. Our litters are completely natural and contain zero chemicals or artificial fragrances."

Last edited: