i Need instructions on how to make broth for cats...very simple instructions

spiritkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just thought I'd add my experience...

I made chicken broth and turkey broth after reading this topic, using mostly the directions in the video, though I only cooked maybe three hours altogether. I was more interested in finding a tasty broth.

I'd been looking for a replacement "cat gravy" because my cat just licks the wet food "gravy" and then snubs the rest of the can. I wanted to make a broth I could freeze as ice cubes and then reheat for her once a day. (She's on a special dry food diet from the vet, so this would be just extra.)

For the chicken broth I added a bit of sea salt, no veggies or spices. I thought it tasted great! But the cat only ate a tiny bit and then snubbed all further attempts to give it to her over the next couple of days.

The second time, thinking I was very smart, I made turkey broth, no salt added, and the cat snubbed it altogether. :(

I don't know what they put in that goo that comes around wet food in cans, but she likes that stuff. Wish I could make a healthy alternative to it for her.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Just thought I'd add my experience...

I made chicken broth and turkey broth after reading this topic, using mostly the directions in the video, though I only cooked maybe three hours altogether. I was more interested in finding a tasty broth.

I'd been looking for a replacement "cat gravy" because my cat just licks the wet food "gravy" and then snubs the rest of the can. I wanted to make a broth I could freeze as ice cubes and then reheat for her once a day. (She's on a special dry food diet from the vet, so this would be just extra.)

For the chicken broth I added a bit of sea salt, no veggies or spices. I thought it tasted great! But the cat only ate a tiny bit and then snubbed all further attempts to give it to her over the next couple of days.

The second time, thinking I was very smart, I made turkey broth, no salt added, and the cat snubbed it altogether. :(

I don't know what they put in that goo that comes around wet food in cans, but she likes that stuff. Wish I could make a healthy alternative to it for her.
Did you use the bones (a whole chicken), and/or the turkey carcass, or just use a chicken breast or turkey cuts to make your broth?  If you use anything with bones, did you add in the apple cider vinegar to help leach out the goodness, particularly the marrow from the bones?  That's what helps it get it's flavor and also what makes it thicken up I believe.   3 hours isn't nearly enough time for all that to happen though. 

At least YOU liked it so it didn't go to waste

spiritkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I'm sure I did the right way. And my mother's dog thought it was delicious!

It might have been more like 5 hours for one of them... I don't feel comfortable leaving the stove on all day to make the stuff... not being able to leave the house, etc. I might try a crockpot version sometime.

I saw that Honest Kitchen makes a broth base you can buy for pets, but it's beef only. My local natural pet store said that cats weren't a huge fan of that flavor. 

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Yes, I'm sure I did the right way. And my mother's dog thought it was delicious!

It might have been more like 5 hours for one of them... I don't feel comfortable leaving the stove on all day to make the stuff... not being able to leave the house, etc. I might try a crockpot version sometime.

I saw that Honest Kitchen makes a broth base you can buy for pets, but it's beef only. My local natural pet store said that cats weren't a huge fan of that flavor. 
Yes, you can definitely do this in the crockpot.  Just cook it longer...maybe up to 48 hours or so.  I think I actually did mine in a crockpot..can't remember now.  And I actually made mine out of beef bones, because all three of mine like beef
  Well, two now, but at the time I had 3 cats.  TWO of them were particularly fond of beef, the third is on again off again depending on the day.   Maybe Honest Kitchen will give you a sample.  I know they used to give samples of their food...don't know about their broth base.  All I can tell you is my cats wouldn't touch their food

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I only do it in the crock pot. I let it go about 8 -10 hours to cook the chicken.  I then remove the meat and put the bones back in with enough water to cover and about 1/4 cup cider vinegar.  I then let this cook 24 hours.  My animals love it.

spiritkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, to be fair, I have one of those cats who won't eat anything you'd expect cats to like. lol. I just had this fantasy that if I spent hours cooking it, she would just love me so much and be so happy I made custom food for her. Um... not so much.

I used to have one who would eat anything I put down for him. <3

Macmor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used to make broth for my cats but the process is so involved. Now I buy it from Buster's Brew and they love it. It's a tea that has concentrated bone broth and other ingredients that are healthy for cats. I've also tried Oso and the Honest Ktichhen, but they like the Busters stuff better.

Cats have a hard time drinking much, so I often mix it in with their wet food.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow, I just looked at that Buster's Brew and it looks interesting. None of my cats really seemed to like the beef bone broth that I made, but I wonder if they'd like this Buster's Brew. Think I'll give it a try! Thanks for that info, M Macmor

Editing this post to say I am NOT ordering since this company is in Canada and I am in the U.S. Shipping is prohibitive :eek2: (much more than the product itself!) Bummer!

Last edited:

Macmor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, I order it through Amazon or eBay which seems to have cheaper rates. I'll check their site to see how much of a difference there is.