i Need instructions on how to make broth for cats...very simple instructions

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck with it! Feel free to take photos - we won't think you're crazy! :lol3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
About 8 and 12 hours later.....using a crockpot at the temperature of "low", it took about 8 hours to see any progress other than chicken simmering ...and it was very little progress

so i turned the crockpot to high.....about 4 hours later, started seeing the meat fall off....turned the crockpot back to low for over night

24 hours later, the next steps are time......ie separating chicken from pot,etc, ..per video instructions

edit:

26 hours later, took out most of the meat...separated bones from the meat and placed them back in the crockpot

Last edited:

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

About 8 and 12 hours later.....using a crockpot at the temperature of "low", it took about 8 hours to see any progress other than chicken simmering ...and it was very little progress

so i turned the crockpot to high.....about 4 hours later, started seeing the meat fall off....turned the crockpot back to low for over night

24 hours later, the next steps are time......ie separating chicken from pot,etc, ..per video instructions

edit:

26 hours later, took out most of the meat...separated bones from the meat and placed them back in the crockpot
About 29 hours later....im going to wind it down this hour...i am going to give my self a C maybe D .

as i mentioned i used near 3 pounds of  chicken drumsticks, the drum stick bones are still in tact and seems it would take about a week to 100 years to melt down to nothing

strained and strained and strained the borth to make sure 0 bone fragments get though to the broth giiven to my cats

question, sometimes i drink broth i get acid reflux. can the cat too? if too strong?

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

edit:

About 29 hours later....im going to wind it down this hour...i am going to give my self a C maybe D .

as i mentioned i used near 3 pounds of  chicken drumsticks, the drum stick bones are still in tact and seems it would take about a week to 100 years to melt down to nothing

strained and strained and strained the borth to make sure 0 bone fragments get though to the broth giiven to my cats

question, sometimes i drink broth i get acid reflux. can the cat too? if too strong?
My bones never disintegrate.  I use a whole chicken and the small bones do get quite thin, but the bones don't go away.  I just strain really well and when I was feeding it to my sick kitty, I would pulse in the Magic Bullet to be sure there were no bone fragments. 

I don' know about acid reflux from broth.  I might wonder if it is from added salt  or spices.  When I made bone broth for my kitties, I didn't add any salt or spice.  I tasted it and it was quite bland. 

The first few times I made bone broth, I added way too much water and the broth did not get gel like.  It is supposed to get gel like while still cooking or once cooled.  The gel consistency will turn back to liquid once it is reheated. 

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My score: FAILED

Cat didnt touch the broth

Placed the broth in the  refrig., the next day it was gelled almost like pudding.

Stirred it up to a near fuild cat did not even look at it this time.

Back to the drawing board for another try, another day

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you serve it cold or did you reheat it.  I always reheated it to serve warm. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm revisiting this thread because yesterday (and today) I made beef bone broth using big cow leg bones (I guess that's what they are
), since my anorexic Callie is a beef eater.  So I just finished up and now have  few questions.

WHY do we need this to gel?  Dr. Becker's didn't look gelled to me.  It just looked like cloudy broth.

Are we supposed to stir in the fat, or is the gelling supposed to keep the fat mixed in with the broth (evenly)  I'm just at the cooling stage right now, but can imagine it's going to separate and a LOT of fat will rise to the top, even though I just used bare bones with  marrow in them.  But I say this because I just fed Callie some of her regular food from the fridge and thought I'd warm it up using some of the bone broth, and as soon as the hot broth hit the cold food, it immediately turned to something that looked like shortening 
.  So I added more, then put it all in the microwave for a few seconds to get it back to a decent consistency.  I must admit, it smelled pretty good, and she ate quite a bit (for her), but boy did I have a time cleaning up her food dish (greasy).  Hope it doesn't make her sick because she's not used to that type of food, and I don't think it's supposed to be fatty, is it.  So obviously you've GOT to warm it up....but Dr. Becker said she cools it completely before giving to her pets, doesn't she (I JUST viewed it again...I'm sure that's what she said)

Really, just wondered if anyone has done this with BEEF bones?  And what should I do with the marrow?  I took it out of the bones at about the 24 hour mark, figuring maybe I should feed that to Callie, but it immediately turned to "shortening" too.  Any ideas?

thanks!

nessakhoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anything wrong with feeding bone broth everyday for every meal?

mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens yeah mine never turn out to be gelly no matter how little water I am using :/

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anything wrong with feeding bone broth everyday for every meal?

@mrsgreenjeens yeah mine never turn out to be gelly no matter how little water I am using :/
The key to getting it to gel is using the right amount of water per pounds of bones.  You need at least 2 lbs of bones and preferably closer to 5 lbs.  You only want enough water to just cover the bones.  I save my bones by freezing them until I have enough to make.

As far as feeding it every day, as a topper on regular cat food that is fine.  Just not as a stand alone meal unless the cat is very ill and refuses to eat anything else. 

nessakhoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dam I need a picture of what that gel is suppose to look like
[emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you do a google search you can find images.  Mine is not gel like when it finishes in the crock pot, but does turn to gel when it cools before I freeze it.

cathelee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, be careful what seasonings and veggies you put in the broth for your cat or dog. 

i googled cat broth and onion and found a site , lots of sites that say they are poisonous to cats and dogs.

Toxicity

According to the ASPCA, onions are of high toxicity to cats, along with dogs and horses. The toxic factor of onions is caused by the presence of the chemical N-propyl disulfide, to which felines are especially affected, even more so than canines. Onions themselves aren't the only things that are potentially poisonous to felines. Similar root vegetables can also be very harmful, including leeks, chives, scallions and garlic.

Form

Onion is toxic to cats no matter what the form. Whether an onion is chopped up and fresh or in dried powder form as a seasoning, it can bring upon dangerous consequences in cats. No matter how adorable your kitty may look as she pleads with her eyes for a bite of your garden salad, do not give in under any circumstances. Onion toxicity is serious business in the feline world, so do not take the threat lightly. Your fluffball's health is counting on you, remember.

Symptoms

If you are worried for whatever reason that your precious pet may be experiencing onion poisoning, be aware of key signs including overall feelings of weakness, diarrhea, throwing up, panting, wheezing, coughing, rapid heart rate, anemia and bloody urine. If your cat displays even the slightest sign of any of these dangerous symptoms, do not hesitate for even one second to get her emergency veterinary attention.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need joints, not just bones, to make it gel. . .doesn't gelatin come from the cartilage in the joints? So a cow hock should do it, or chicken wings, but if you just had a cow leg bone cut between the joints the broth probably won't gel. And that's not super important anyway---it's just a nice source of collagen. Makes your fur shiny :tongue2:. It's still nutritious if it doesn't gel, don't worry.

Bone-in chicken thighs are cheap, usually not salted ("enhanced"), and make great bone broth.

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Microwave 2 or 3 chicken thighs in a bit of water in a covered dish.  Do not season the meat.  After cooking the meat, remove the meat and place the bowl in the refrigerator.  After a while the fat will rise to the top.  Underneath the lid of fat will be the liquid essence of the chicken, essentially in gel form.  When heated the gel will again liquefy and make a fine broth.

dahliau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm revisiting this thread because yesterday (and today) I made beef bone broth using big cow leg bones (I guess that's what they are 
), since my anorexic Callie is a beef eater.  So I just finished up and now have  few questions.

WHY do we need this to gel?  Dr. Becker's didn't look gelled to me.  It just looked like cloudy broth.

Are we supposed to stir in the fat, or is the gelling supposed to keep the fat mixed in with the broth (evenly)  I'm just at the cooling stage right now, but can imagine it's going to separate and a LOT of fat will rise to the top, even though I just used bare bones with  marrow in them.  But I say this because I just fed Callie some of her regular food from the fridge and thought I'd warm it up using some of the bone broth, and as soon as the hot broth hit the cold food, it immediately turned to something that looked like shortening 
.  So I added more, then put it all in the microwave for a few seconds to get it back to a decent consistency.  I must admit, it smelled pretty good, and she ate quite a bit (for her), but boy did I have a time cleaning up her food dish (greasy).  Hope it doesn't make her sick because she's not used to that type of food, and I don't think it's supposed to be fatty, is it.  So obviously you've GOT to warm it up....but Dr. Becker said she cools it completely before giving to her pets, doesn't she (I JUST viewed it again...I'm sure that's what she said)

Really, just wondered if anyone has done this with BEEF bones?  And what should I do with the marrow?  I took it out of the bones at about the 24 hour mark, figuring maybe I should feed that to Callie, but it immediately turned to "shortening" too.  Any ideas?

thanks!
Hi. I haven't watched the video, but as a personal chef the fat should separate and be removed. You can get a fat separator (OXO has one). It's fantastic and really does what it says on the tin. Also, I've read people worrying about bone fragments and using blenders. While you may not want to invest in a chinois (French very fine mesh strainer), you can purchase (if you don't have one) a fine mesh strainer at any shop that has even the most basic cooking things. You can pick one up for a few dollars. If you strain the stock after separating the fat (I will ladle into the separator, then pour through the strainer into a jar or container), then you won't get bone fragments. 

Also the whole reason for wanting it to gel is the collagen. This is in the cartilage, which is why many recipes suggest using wings and feet and carcasses of the birds (if that's what your using, or else get some oxtail and marrow bones and neck bones for beef). I would leave the marrow in the bones and let it all cook until the bones are empty and the bones are white. 

I'd suggest adding the Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother in it) at the very beginning when you put the bones into the pot). You can also roast the bones in the oven first, too. But that might not be necessary for a cat. The vinegar helps leach the bones of the goodness (which will be in the marrow and the connective tissues and cartilage in the neck and tail). You can also add some meat (get a very tough and cheap cut for this as it has flavour and lots of connective tissues which will add to the gelatinous quality of goodness you want. Cheek is good, but any cheap cut that you should cook for a long time), in the last 2 or 3 hours of cooking. 

When you're done, use a straining ladle (the one with big holes) to remove the bones and meat, put into a bowl. any liquid from that put through the fat separator and then strain through your fine mesh strainer, and you should have very, very, very little fat, and a fairly clear broth. No bones or fragments. 

And, if you have a pressure cooker, I highly recommend you doing the bone broth in there for 1 or 2 hours. 

Hope this helps. 

PS: cooled completely is giving the pet the broth at room temperature, not cold from the fridge. You can gently warm it to a temperature that you'd feed formula to a new born baby, or where it's no longer gelatinous and you can just smell it, but it wouldn't burn you at all if you stuck your tongue in it. 

PPS: but please make sure you strain the fat out. You can also let it get cold in the fridge, where the fat will naturally separate from the stock, and then just remove it and throw it out. But that amount of fat is NOT good for your kitty. Good luck!

dahliau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi N
Dam I need a picture of what that gel is suppose to look like
[emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]
Hi, you don't need a picture, really. Don't think 'gel'. They mean it should gel. What you want is a gelatinous consistency when refrigerated. If it is sluggish and almost jelly/jellO like when you give the container a shake, you've reached your goal. If it's still absolute liquid, like you're shaking a bottle of cold water then you haven't got a gelatinous consistency. 

Hope this helps. 

Just make sure not to put any veggies in when making it for your pet. You want the nutrients and collagen from the bones and joints. You can also add some to your pets food, too, to boost it. I'd slightly warm it so it is room temperature, since cats enjoy food that is similar to a kill in the wild in temperature. 

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what I use. It is directly from an article written by well known breeder of silver Persians (Diadem) Janice Reichel.

The concentrated beef broth can be frozen and stored for long periods and the recipe is simple - buy lean beef and cut it into cubes no more than an inch in size. Place them in a large jam or mayonaise jar or something similar without a cardboard liner in the top; do not tightly pack cubes in the jar. Screw the top on loosely; not as tightly as you would for storage. [The cap should be loose enough to allow steam to escape--too tight and the jar may explode]. Put the jar in a pan of water and try to keep the level of water approximately the height of the meat in the jar. Bring the water to a low boil or simmer and eventually you will see broth in the jar; pour it off and continue the process (which may take two to three hours) after loosening the meat a bit. Keep doing this until no more broth can be poured off. I prefer to pour it through a strainer.

What you have left is a dry looking, useless meat (to be thrown away) and the concentrated broth. As you can see, there will be a great deal of nourishment in a very small quantity. After the broth cools, you can skim off any accumulated fat on the top. Depending on the illness of the cat, you may or may not want any fat left. A little is fine if diarrhea is not a problem. Because you need so little, you may be able to give it by dropper in the side of the mouth; only a few droppersful at a time need be given.

cat dad72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just curious, what the benifets to this are and why people are doing this. Does it add extra nutrition to the cats diet? I love to cook this looks interesting.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bone broth is EXTREMELY nutritious, not only for animals, but the humans alike.  Most people use this for sick animals, but it's good for every single one.  When I make it, I use the beef bones ONLY, no skin, and the apple cider vinegar to help leach out the goodness.  I'm just surprised at how much far came out of the bones!!!!!