I need ideas on how to "hide three medications" to give to my cat!

leoandoreosmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Luke came home from two days after a bout of bladder crystals. I was sent home with a pill shooter to use. "It is easy, I have used it on him and he is OK with it" says the vet tech. She has done this hundreds of times. Luke was on an IV so he cannot go too far. Luke was also in a cage so a confined environment. I tried to pill popper and could not coordinate keeping him sitting up and shooting the pill in. Then I tried breaking up a few of his dehydrated ray treats - a few with each pill - that worked - once. Then I found that I had some of the Chubu treat and squirted some into my hand and he would lap that up along with the pill. That worked - once. Next I tried grinding up the antibiotic - open up the capsules and squeeze the treat on top of it. NOPE. I ended up smearing the mess because trying to pill him makes him mad (and he flops down like dead weight).

Now what???

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Luke came home from two days after a bout of bladder crystals. I was sent home with a pill shooter to use. "It is easy, I have used it on him and he is OK with it" says the vet tech. She has done this hundreds of times. Luke was on an IV so he cannot go too far. Luke was also in a cage so a confined environment. I tried to pill popper and could not coordinate keeping him sitting up and shooting the pill in. Then I tried breaking up a few of his dehydrated ray treats - a few with each pill - that worked - once. Then I found that I had some of the Chubu treat and squirted some into my hand and he would lap that up along with the pill. That worked - once. Next I tried grinding up the antibiotic - open up the capsules and squeeze the treat on top of it. NOPE. I ended up smearing the mess because trying to pill him makes him mad (and he flops down like dead weight).

Now what???
I take my cat in the bathroom,shut the door,put her on the counter,put gloves on, lightly scruff her neck back, drop the pill in as far as you can,shut her mouth with her head still tilted back and wait til she swallows. I could never use a pill popper. To help her swallow blow on her nose and rub your hand down her throat

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, a gel-like cat treat with bits of meat. I keep them around for when my cats stop eating too, they have NEVER turned them down. I put their liquid meds in them each morning, if you can crush or open the capsules you could mix it in, check with your vet, or see if you can get liquid. they are so happy to get the treat, they don't even notice the meds. There are many liquid supplements out there to help with crystals, I got one for a cat I had a few years ago. I also give DMG to all my cats to help with their immune systems, that has helped tremendously.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since you can open the capsules, try using some canned tuna (or chicken) in water to mix with them. Or, baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut). If I have a particularly hard time getting Feeby to take her H-T meds with the above items - or about a dozen different lickable treats (Vitakraft, Wholeheated, Temptations, Applaws, Squeeze Ups - to name a few), I will use FortiFlora and sprinkle/mix a bit of that with whatever concoction I have made. While all of the above work most of the time, the FortiFlora is my ultimate, last resort 'go to'.

Use just enough to mask the meds, and set it down on a plate/dish and walk away - or, whatever you normally do when you feed him his meals. If you hover over him or use out of the ordinary feeding tactics (like your the palm of your hand, as you mentioned) you are drawing attention to him that this 'food/treat' is somehow different and he likely picks up on that making him a bit suspicious.

Dillard04

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've had good luck with bacon flavored pill wrap. We use the Vetoquinol brand, but I've seen others. It's a putty that can be wrapped around the pill. Our cats eat their pills like treats now. Unfortunately, I usually have to order it from Chewy or another site since most pet stores don't carry it.