I need help

Tim robertson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my name is Tim about 5 weeks ago we found 5 kittens in our back yard approx 10 to 14 days old we put them in a box in an open shed with a camera and after 2 days no mother came for them my wife and i decided to rear them. 2 males 3 females first week no read problems then the smallest male just passed away about 15 minutes after having some formular we were heart broken but vowed to look after the others 3 weeks latter they had grow very well just about doubled their size toilet trained them selves played like crazy 2 were about a quarter bigger than the other 2 we then started them on some solid food which they loved took them to the vet for a check up the male had runny poo the vet said they were healthy gave them worm tablets and some medicine for the little tom tuersday wednesday and thursday the little tom who was the biggest and most playful of them all went into a sort of coma for an hour or so each day absolutley no responce at all to anything fast breathing and heart rate on thursday he was also crying in pain so i took him to the vet and asked for him to be put down i was devistated autopsy revealed no underling health problems we now have the littlest kitten going through the same thing only hers starts at around 2 each afternoon lasts longer at least a couple of hours she is not in pain an responds to petting but she is exausted when it is over has anyone had problems like this can you please help me

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it may be seizures. Ask the vet what they think and maybe start her on some seizure medicine. It also could be some sort of reaction to the worm medicine, that seems to be the only thing that changed. It all may be something genetic and is why the mother abandoned the kittens. I am so sorry you have to go through all this, I know you only wanted the best for them and you will be blessed for that. I pray you can take comfort in knowing you gave them love and comfort in their short lives, my thoughts and prayers are with you all.....RIP little ones

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tim robertson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like it may be seizures. Ask the vet what they think and maybe start her on some seizure medicine. It also could be some sort of reaction to the worm medicine, that seems to be the only thing that changed. It all may be something genetic and is why the mother abandoned the kittens. I am so sorry you have to go through all this, I know you only wanted the best for them and you will be blessed for that. I pray you can take comfort in knowing you gave them love and comfort in their short lives, my thoughts and prayers are with you all.....RIP little ones
thanks mate this is so hard

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be as simple as low blood sugar. When the incident occurs, put honey on the kitten’s gums, then give 1-2mLs of honey water or glucose every hour until the kitten revives.

What worm med was given?

What do you feed the kittens and how often?

Do the kittens stay indoors only now?

Not ruling out anything genetic, but let’s get the kitten over this hump.

Hang in there! T Tim robertson

Tim robertson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi all and thanks for the advice Im not sure what worm tablets were given but will find out at the moment we are feeding them a mixture of kitten formular and solid food about every 2 to 3 hours with a sleep of 10 hours overnight started giving the little one some honey water this morning only about 2 ml all up over the last 6 hours she is as bright as a button at the moment playing with the others they are indoors at the moment as it is winter in australia and would you believe quite cool

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for caring for them. you are their hero. Keep us informed.

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Low blood sugar can also be caused by the cold. Make sure the kittens are always snug and warm. When they're little they can't regulate their own temperature well.

Tim robertson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks again to all little carrot top she has an orange spot on top of her head has had a good day but we did make sure she was well fed warm and cut her play time lots of cuddles while we watched over the other 2 at play

Tim robertson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all sorry to Say it has started again

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all sorry to Say it has started again
So sorry you're going through this. If it is low blood sugar, don't give up. When she has an episode, put a little glucose on her gums and keep her warm with a hot water bottle (just make sure she doesn't get overheated). You could try feeding her a bit more frequently to keep her blood sugar steady.

Personally, I wouldn't give the honey water unless she's starting to get listless. You don't want to cause spikes in her blood sugar.

I recently had this happen with one of my foster kittens. She had 4 or 5 hypoglycaemic episodes over a couple of weeks. Each one lasted longer than before and I was convinced she was going to die. She's now 3 months old and the liveliest and healthiest of her litter.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You might ask your vet to prescribe gabapentin. It helps with seizures and other neurological issues. It may help. Do give the honey when she gets like this in the meantime.

Tim robertson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all the little girl is well; coma was not as long or as deep as they have been in the past then i thing she had an uneventful evening i will speak with our local vet this morning he has been fantastic through all this we have decided to feed her smaller amounts of food more often and watch what happens thank you all for your help and support it has been fantastic i will let you know everything goes maybe a photo if it is aloud in this forum thanks again

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Photos are definitely allowed and we would love to see one when you get the time.

Jwall2022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my name is Tim about 5 weeks ago we found 5 kittens in our back yard approx 10 to 14 days old we put them in a box in an open shed with a camera and after 2 days no mother came for them my wife and i decided to rear them. 2 males 3 females first week no read problems then the smallest male just passed away about 15 minutes after having some formular we were heart broken but vowed to look after the others 3 weeks latter they had grow very well just about doubled their size toilet trained them selves played like crazy 2 were about a quarter bigger than the other 2 we then started them on some solid food which they loved took them to the vet for a check up the male had runny poo the vet said they were healthy gave them worm tablets and some medicine for the little tom tuersday wednesday and thursday the little tom who was the biggest and most playful of them all went into a sort of coma for an hour or so each day absolutley no responce at all to anything fast breathing and heart rate on thursday he was also crying in pain so i took him to the vet and asked for him to be put down i was devistated autopsy revealed no underling health problems we now have the littlest kitten going through the same thing only hers starts at around 2 each afternoon lasts longer at least a couple of hours she is not in pain an responds to petting but she is exausted when it is over has anyone had problems like this can you please help me
Yes I have been there that with a few of my litter's and my husband truly believe that it was because we were holding them to much when they were small babies but that's is just his thoughts but I will say that he might be on to something cause the last three litter's we have had we have not held them at all until they started coming out away from there Mom and they have all been very very healthy and I have had to bottle feed a few and it's hard not to hold them close But I didn't and they were very healthy to I wish you all the luck and prayers