I Need Help!

janets98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 10 year old indoor spayed female cat has had blood in her urine for a couple of months. She seems to vacillate between feeling good, being playful, eating and drinking well, and being listless, and not eating or drinking. Her stools are usually good but she occasionally has "cow patties".

My vet couldn't figure out what was wrong so I was referred to another vet with up to the minute equipment. Her urine was tested and nothing grew in her petrie dish. She was X-rayed and given an ultra-sound, both of which showed nothing. Her temperature is normal. The vet said that she was on a good diet but maybe a change would help so I made the changes he recommended. No difference. He then said maybe the blood in her urine was caused by stress and recommended Feliway diffusers so I bought two (the recommended number for the size of my house) and installed them according to the directions on the same day.

Two weeks later, she still has quite a bit of blood in her urine and intermittent loose bowels, although she is eating better. But the blood is freaking me out. Something is wrong and I don't know what to do. Has anyone ever faced this? Any advice?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tbh, it sounds like cystitis. No infection, and nothing in a urine culture - correct? No stones/crystals in the x-ray either, yes? The only curious part is usually with cystitis, there are abnormalities in the lining of the bladder wall - showing inflammation/irritation which would explain the blood. Did they also ensure they included in the x-rays and ultrasound a check of the urethra/kidneys to rule out stones/inflammation in those areas as well? I am guessing they also did not see any tumors? What about blood testing to see kidney function?

If everything checked out, did either vet say that cystitis could still be the problem? Stress is an issue with idiopathic cystits, but Feliway is only one of a ton of calming products, and not all work on all cats. You might have to try a number of different products to find one that works for her. If allowable where you live, you could ask about CBD oil.

And, lastly - are you positive that the blood is solely in the urine and not also in her stool? I know that sounds like a really odd question, but when I thought Feeby (15+yo) had blood in her urine, it actually turned out to be in her stool - and she was having intermittent loose stools.

However, if blood was in both urine and stool, a full blood work up to look for possible bleeding or clotting issues would definitely be in order. Did they check her stool as well?

For Feeby, it was the result of a food issue and the minute that particular food was eliminated, the blood went away. This, btw, was a food she had been eating regularly, although it was previously interchanged with another couple of foods before she started eating it exclusively. I know you changed food, but if the primary ingredient (just for example, say chicken) is the same, she may have developed an intolerance to that ingredient. Sometimes, food changes take several weeks to elicit improvement.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janets98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Even though she doesn't strain or exhibit any signs of stress, FIC certainly fits her symptoms. I've switched her to a wet breakfast but I keep her dry food out for her to nibble on during the day. I think I'll call the vet and get a prescription so I can order her a supply of canned food.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she on pain meds and antispasmotics? Those might be helpful too, if it IS cystitis.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might also consider talking to your vet about natural treatments that are supposed to help with cystitis - such as marshmallow root. It can be used to help soothe and protect the bladder wall, as well as the lining of the kidneys, urethra and entire urinary tract, and I believe it is also considered to have anti-inflammatory properties.

janets98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I contacted the vet today and spoke with the vet tech about these suggestions. He did not endorse any of them but said if the change in diet didn't work, to bring her back in two weeks. So I'm counting down the days.

janets98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: She seems to be better. Her spirits are good. She is playful and seems happier. She has two food bowls (her normal kibble and a bowl of wet food suggested by the vet). She has begun eating both (although she prefers her kibble) and has had no "cow pattie" stools in four days. She still has blood in her urine, though, and the vet tech said that she appears healthy and FIC could be the culprit so just make her life as stress-free as possible and don't worry about it. But I do worry about it, and have looked for marshmallow root with no success.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good to hear she is doing better!! Marshmallow root is available at Amazon.com, and other online retailers like Walgreen's and Walmart if those are available to you. They are mostly sold for humans, but I think @catsknowme has used it for cats, and can probably give you some information about dosage. Maybe she even knows where to purchase it other than what I have suggested?

janets98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What would the appropriate dose be for an 8.2 lb. cat?