I Need Help

Lisasal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a feral Kitten 2/16/2019 I’ve had kittens over many years but never a feral kitten. He hides under everything. But he is using the litter box. He is 4 months I just want to give Sammy, this little boy a wonderful life.
I need so good tips and advice please
Thank you
Lisa

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

One of the main things is to avoid focusing on him with your eyes - that to him means aggressiveness/danger.

Something you might try is sitting on the floor somewhere near, and read some lovely poetry to him now and then. Ignore him if he peeks out or approaches you - you have all the time in the world now because he is with you, safe and sound :)

You could even try some music - there's MusicForCats . com

Also, be sure and let him eat as much as he can - he's going to be in growth mode for at least until he's a year old, possibly longer.

First-time Cat Owner's Guide

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisasal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He lets me pick him up he really is the sweetest little boy. He sleeps in my arms under a blanket he'll stay in my arms for hrs purring. But when he gets down he looks around eats very little and uses the box. Then he'll run under something for hours.

Lisasal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is glop? And I'll try anything? I feel in love with him. I feel so bad he had a rough being.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Since you haven’t had him long you are doing great together! Very good job! Hiding will be pretty common for awhile. He’s got to gain confidence the his new surroundings are as safe as your loving arms. Can you provide him with a sheltered spot , like a Box in a closet with a little blanket that you can put him in after holding him? A carrier in a closet or small bathroom or even under the covers of your bed since he likes to go there. That gives him a feeling of having a safe spot.
As for his eating, the kitten glop is a good way to get him eating more. Great suggestion by furballsmom. You can also try different brands or use a topping for his food. All meat baby food would probably work well. I use that to get many babies adjusted. I really think that time will help a lot. Everything is new to him. Adjustments usually take longer than you have had him so you have done amazingly well at keeping him happy in your arms. You’re an excellent kitty Mom! I’m glad you posted on The atdige. You can get lots of tips and good information here. Thank you so much for taking in this baby! Welcome!!:rock:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tap on the link that is underlined in the post by furballsmom. You can find the kitten glop there. It’s just a mushy form of homemade kitten food. It’s very nutritious. If you can’t get the recipe..... post back.

Lisasal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much I appreciate this so much. I was getting so nevus for him. Baby food is a wonderful idea. I'll keep updated.
Thank you so much

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t worry. I work with lots of rescues, fosters and ferals. I can assure you that you have made wonderful progress with this baby. You already ha e made him feel secure in your arms and bed. That’s huge! You have his complete love and trust. He’ll make progress. It just takes some time and patience but there are lots of suggestions that can be given if you have any issues. :)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He is 4 months I just want to give Sammy, this little boy a wonderful life.
I need so good tips and advice please
:hellosmiley: there Lisasal, welcome to TCS!

Thank you for adopting Sammy and for giving him a warm a fur-ever loving home :clapcat:

Great tips from the above posters.

I'll just want to add this, if Sammy allows you to pick him up and cuddle in your arms under the blanket and purrs for hours and have been eating and using the litter box, I can safely say that he is not much of a feral.

Hiding or staying under something for hours is pretty normal as this is his normal self. Also, by doing that, he's observing the movements in the room and checking things out from a safe distance. This will help him gain more confidence since he's only been in your house for only two days?

Speak softly and often to him and get him involve in things that you do and letting him smell any object you are holding and this will help him boost his confidence too. By doing this, is to show hm that it is safe to wander around. Once he gets used to things around him and movements around him, he'll come out of his 'hiding'.

4 months is quite easy to win his heart over as long as you don't give up and continue the routines with love and patience. But if he does the normal things you mentioned and he still go hide, maybe not actual hiding, it's just him.

Please show us photos of Sammy. We would love to see them :camera:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might consider taking him to a vet for an exam. He may need a de-wormer. Most kittens, even ones who have not spent time outdoors, need a de-wormer. Parasites can cause lack of appetite and anemia. Also, since you can handle him, comb him with a flea comb to make sure he doesn't have fleas. It's not normal for a kitten to not have a good appetite, so it's best to play it safe and get him to a vet. Also, it's a good idea to leave out a bowl of dry kitten chow 24/7, and offer him different kinds of canned food to see what he likes.it's almost impossible to overfeed a kitten. Catnip toys might also help him to play and feel more comfortable with his surroundings. Thanks for caring for this kitty!

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much I appreciate this so much. I was getting so nevus for him. Baby food is a wonderful idea. I'll keep updated.
Thank you so much
I don't think it was mentioned, but don't buy baby food with onions, and, ........... geez, there was another ingredient that is bad for cats.

OK folks, Pops' needs some help here!

Edit: OK, did a search and found that; garlic is toxic to cats. Right?

Poops, I mean, Pops

BTW, I can see it in his eyes; Sammy's gonna be a hand full! .... :insertevillaugh:

OK, just having a laugh! He's handsome little fellow!

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You want a baby food that is only turkey/chicken and water. Some also have modified food starch and that is ok. I buy Gerber stage 2 chicken or turkey. It's in a small glass jar with a blue label. There is also one by Beechnut I believe. You do not want any onions or garlic. They are toxic to cats.

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You want a baby food that is only turkey/chicken and water. Some also have modified food starch and that is ok. I buy Gerber stage 2 chicken or turkey. It's in a small glass jar with a blue label. There is also one by Beechnut I believe. You do not want any onions or garlic. They are toxic to cats.

Thanks for the help! ... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Pops

Lisasal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just want to thank you all so much for everything. Sam ate his baby food today and he started playing with his little mouse.
He’s doin so good and I’m so happy. I’m not the ripe of person to give up. I’m never gonna give up on my Sammy. It’s just not in me.

Lisasal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You might consider taking him to a vet for an exam. He may need a de-wormer. Most kittens, even ones who have not spent time outdoors, need a de-wormer. Parasites can cause lack of appetite and anemia. Also, since you can handle him, comb him with a flea comb to make sure he doesn't have fleas. It's not normal for a kitten to not have a good appetite, so it's best to play it safe and get him to a vet. Also, it's a good idea to leave out a bowl of dry kitten chow 24/7, and offer him different kinds of canned food to see what he likes.it's almost impossible to overfeed a kitten. Catnip toys might also help him to play and feel more comfortable with his surroundings. Thanks for caring for this kitty!