I Need Help!

mariansneves

Lilo&Mia
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, so I have two cats: one isn't very sociable but it's very clean and cute, and the other one is SUPER SWEET but latelly she's having some problems.
It isn't just the fact that she "meows" a lot, she doesn't pee or poop inside the box. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
My mum wants to give her away, but me and my sisters don't want to. PLEASE SEE THIS!

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We probably need some more details. Did she used to use the box? How old is she, has she been to the vet recently, and any other odd behaviors? Where is the litter box located relative to where she sleeps and eats? And where is she peeing / pooping? How often do you clean the box? And what you tried so far?

There are a few reasons why cats will refuse to use their litter box. Aside from medical issues, which your vet can check, the location, size, shape, and type (covered or uncovered) of litter box has a big impact on a cat's willingness to use it. As well as the amount and type of litter being offered.

Cats can feel very vulnerable while using the litterbox, which is exacerbated if the location and type of box makes them feel trapped. So any conflicts with other animals or people in the house, loud noises, or excessive foot traffic can make them shy away from it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mariansneves

Lilo&Mia
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply.
My cat is about three years old, she used to use the box, and we still put the same sand, the box is the same. After we saw the movie "9 lifes" she started to meow a lot (because there was a cat in it), but then she stoped and everything was okay. Then, about a week ago, me and my family went on vacation for like 4 days, and my cats were home alone (of course my grandmother visited them many times a day).
Then she started to pee and poop everywhere the carpets, in the kitchen, in the living room, in the bedrooms... everywhere but the bathroom (where is her box).
The box is always clean, but she shares it with the other cat.
I'd like to sent her to the vet to see what is going on, but this isn't the first time she does this.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. It is a bit odd that she goes everywhere, rather than picking one or two places to frequent.

Next time she seems particularly relaxed and affectionate, try picking her up and carrying her into the bathroom. Don't try to put her in the box, just set her down on the counter, and see how she reacts. Does she struggle to get away, or instantly run out of the room?

Has anyone (mom or grandmother) tried to "punish" the cat? I'm jumping to a bit of a conclusion here, so this very well may be incorrect. But a common mistake many people make is to try and punish a cat for inappropriate peeing / pooping, including forcibly dragging them to their litterbox. The most likely outcome of that is that kitty will simply become afraid of the room where she got angrily yelled at for no reason, and avoid it.

What you could try is adding a small, disposable box someplace else, like your bedroom, and see if she starts using that. Just make sure it isn't directly next to where she eats or sleeps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mariansneves

Lilo&Mia
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! I'm gonna try that and then I'll say how it went! The truth is I think they don't punish her, but at this time my mother is so stressed she might yelled.
THANK YOU!

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The additional thing you might try is a litter box attractant, which you should be able to find at any pet store. I don't have any experience with it myself, but I've seen posters mention some success with it. And I'd only do it with the second box - wouldn't want to risk making both boxes unattractive to both cats! :-)