I need help with problems with my kitty's Breeder

ziggysmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello:

I bought my kitty from a breeder nearly 5 months ago. I paid a lot of money for my kitty and did what I was supposed to do, ie have her neutered, ect. Over two months ago I sent kitty's papers from her Vet verifying every thing had been done. I have NEVER received my kitty's papers from the breeder. I have sent the breeder an email, and no response. This breeder posts daily on FB so I see she is still active, and still offer kitties for sale.

What can I do? Feeling very  frustrated as if  I have no recourse in this matter.

Thank you

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
can you post on the breeder's facebook page, requesting that your girl's papers be given/sent to you since you have already sent the required verifying documents (from your vet) to them?

you could also file a complaint with the better business bureau, online. but i'd try to resolve this issue with the breeder first, because doing this might put the breeder 'on the defensive'. the goal being to get your girl's papers.

i don't have experience with breeders, but i'm sure someone who does will be along shortly.

i'll see if i can attract the attention of a member who has experience in this area. @GoldyCat, @posiepurrs, may i request your experience for the OP (original poster)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ziggysmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you MickNsnicks2mom, I thought about posting on FB. But, I'm getting that  this is not a very nice woman. I don't want a spectacle on FB, which is why I haven't posted there.  She had me pay in cash. The only record I have of paying her is the contract she gave me, to unequivocally have my kitty fixed, which I did. Any help or advice given is greatly appreciated.

Ziggysmommy

ziggysmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She checked her email plenty of times when I was buying my kitty. It's the email for her cattery business, listed everywhere. But okay, another message, sigh.

Last edited:

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hate to say it but every time I hear of someone dealing with a breeder, they always have issues like this. Once the cat is sold, they're done. All they care about is the money anyway, their animals make their livelihood for them. I would send an email stating you haven't received the papers & if she chooses to ignore you anymore, you will contact the BBB. I don't know what other recourse you might have. She should have given you papers when you bought it. I would also send a message on FB & post on her page if she doesn't answer you. You can see if she read the message on FB. Threaten & you'll probably get some resolution. It's sad but a lot of people seem to work this way.

ziggysmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I hate to say it but every time I hear of someone dealing with a breeder, they always have issues like this. Once the cat is sold, they're done. All they care about is the money anyway, their animals make their livelihood for them. I would send an email stating you haven't received the papers & if she chooses to ignore you anymore, you will contact the BBB. I don't know what other recourse you might have. She should have given you papers when you bought it. I would also send a message on FB & post on her page if she doesn't answer you. You can see if she read the message on FB. Threaten & you'll probably get some resolution. It's sad but a lot of people seem to work this way.
Dear Msserena, that is sadly, precisely, the huge feeling I got/get. It's not about the kitties, but about the money. My Siamese died, from cancer. I wanted another after my time of grieving. It was very hard finding a kitty to buy, and I had to travel and stay in a hotel to do so. I'm tired.  Really tired, of all this nonsense. Having paid "cash" as was required, I have little recourse. Not seeing what the BBB can or will do for me with this problem. 

It's too bad there isn't a good central place where folks can post to regarding their experiences with breeders.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Dear Msserena, that is sadly, precisely, the huge feeling I got/get. It's not about the kitties, but about the money. My Siamese died, from cancer. I wanted another after my time of grieving. It was very hard finding a kitty to buy, and I had to travel and stay in a hotel to do so. I'm tired.  Really tired, of all this nonsense. Having paid "cash" as was required, I have little recourse. Not seeing what the BBB can or will do for me with this problem. 

It's too bad there isn't a good central place where folks can post to regarding their experiences with breeders.
i'm so sorry that all this has happened. 

i hope you will consider, if unable to work this out with the breeder, placing a complaint with the BBB as well as submitting a review of the breeder/cattery on Yelp.  those two websites are the only that i'm aware of that will not remove undesirable/negative reviews at the request of the company (or breeder/cattery). i feel it's important to do what can be done, to let others know about the problems you're having with this breeder.

ziggysmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, MickNsnicks2mom, I agree. I did research before I bought. But, none (feedback) was to be found. I love my kitty, but I got invaluable help here with her, and none from the cattery. She was a biter ( oh my) I had a choice between this cattery in CA or one in Oregon. I should have gone with the lady in Oregon, but that was out of state. I have the kitty I have, and I love her. 

But you are correct. Like anything else consumers have a right to know and to be informed. Perhaps because there is so little it enables bad behavior.

P. S. the cattery is not listed on Yelp. Can a consumer start a spot on Yelp for a business?

Last edited:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Is this breeder registered with CFA or TICA? I'm not sure what the exact process is, but I know you can file a protest with the organization. You could call to find out how to start. A protest with the official registering body would probably have a more direct effect on the breeder than a report to BBB. Even a message to the breeder that you are looking into it might get some action from her.

I have to say, most breeders I know are not in it for the money, they're in it for the love of the breed. The amount they charge for a kitten does not come anywhere near covering the cost of raising that kitten to the age of 12-14 weeks, which is the earliest recommended age for adopting.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, MickNsnicks2mom, I agree. I did research before I bought. But, none (feedback) was to be found. I love my kitty, but I got invaluable help here with her, and none from the cattery. She was a biter ( oh my) I had a choice between this cattery in CA or one in Oregon. I should have gone with the lady in Oregon, but that was out of state. I have the kitty I have, and I love her. 

But you are correct. Like anything else consumers have a right to know and to be informed. Perhaps because there is so little it enables bad behavior.

P. S. the cattery is not listed on Yelp. Can a consumer start a spot on Yelp for a business?
based on my experience in life, we can do our research first and be very thorough and careful, and still end up having problems.

yes, a consumer can add a business to Yelp. it looks like you'll need to set up a Yelp login first, then go to the 'Add a business' form and fill it out. here's the info i found on how consumers can add a business to Yelp -- http://www.yelp-support.com/article/How-do-I-add-a-business-to-Yelp?l=en_US

ziggysmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is this breeder registered with CFA or TICA? I'm not sure what the exact process is, but I know you can file a protest with the organization. You could call to find out how to start. A protest with the official registering body would probably have a more direct effect on the breeder than a report to BBB. Even a message to the breeder that you are looking into it might get some action from her.

I have to say, most breeders I know are not in it for the money, they're in it for the love of the breed. The amount they charge for a kitten does not come anywhere near covering the cost of raising that kitten to the age of 12-14 weeks, which is the earliest recommended age for adopting.
From the breeders site:  

"We are recognized by these registries:
  • American Cat Association
  • Cat Fanciers Association
  • Traditional and Classic Cat International "
  •  
I agree GoldyCat, now that you have said it, there is a lot of time that goes into raising a kitty. 

What do you suggest I do next?  I'm done with asking, or chasing around. Too too tired for any more. 

ziggysmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

From the breeders site:  

"We are recognized by these registries:
  • Traditional and Classic Cat International "
  •  
I agree GoldyCat, now that you have said it, there is a lot of time that goes into raising a kitty. 

What do you suggest I do next?  I'm done with asking, or chasing around. Too too tired for any more. 

based on my experience in life, we can do our research first and be very thorough and careful, and still end up having problems.

yes, a consumer can add a business to Yelp. it looks like you'll need to set up a Yelp login first, then go to the 'Add a business' form and fill it out. here's the info i found on how consumers can add a business to Yelp -- http://www.yelp-support.com/article/How-do-I-add-a-business-to-Yelp?l=en_US
Thank you again, mickNsnicks2mom. I will check this out. 

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So sorry you're going through this! I believe I maybe uniquely qualified to help as I have been through this too. Are they TICA or CFA registered? What breed is your cat?

PM me and I will help. :)

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had much experience with breeders.  In fact, I've only ever known 1.  My cousin's aunt breeds Persians.  She ended up giving me a kitten because he had a slight imperfection so she couldn't sell him.  No papers, of course, because he was free.  I ended up having to take him back to her.  He had stomach and digestive issues and since I was school age, I didn't have the time or the money to properly care for him.  When she gave him to me, she requested that I return him to her if I was unable to keep him for any reason rather than rehoming him myself.  I really liked him.  He was a sweet cat.  But, I was 11 or 12 or something like that so I couldn't possibly afford the vet bills or expensive food.

ziggysmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry you're going through this! I believe I maybe uniquely qualified to help as I have been through this too. Are they TICA or CFA registered? What breed is your cat?

PM me and I will help.

PM me and I will help.
Hi Oldgloryrags88, from their cattery website "

We are recognized by these registries:
  • Traditional and Classic Cat International"
My kitty is a Siamese.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this, but thrilled to hear that you and your kitty are getting along now!  That's amazing news!

It would be great if you could update your other thread.

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not of any help really, in my experience, without a receipt of payment there's not much can be done.

I got caught out in exactly the same way. Purchased a purebred Maine Coon. The breeder told me I could get his pedigree papers later, that they weren't needed (this was my first purebred cat, I believed her, stupidly). I paid cash, no receipt was given. I contacted her via text message and email and asked nicely if I could request his pedigree papers, at my expense of course. I was ignored. So I pushed a little and asked again via text message and was told that cats with pedigree papers sell for double what I had paid for him (not true, I was after $65 worth of paperwork I was willing to pay $200 for but not another $1000).

I called her on that and said I had spoken to the leader of her governing body and he had told me they were only worth $65 and that I was happy to cover that as well as any late fee's.

She then told me that pet cats aren't sold with papers, ever.

Then she came back at me and told me that I hadn't wanted the paperwork and it was too late (so apparently I didn't want the paperwork he was never supposed to come with in the first place?).

She then texted me to tell me I was bullying her (I think I said please and thank you too much or maybe she got sick of me offering to pay for his papers?). At this point I questioned if he was actually the purebred she had sold him as.

I was getting nowhere so I put in a complaint to her registering body. He emailed me back asking if he could forward my complaint onto the breeder so she could have a right of reply. When he did I received one more text message from her telling me that she was glad she didn't give me my paperwork because I didn't deserve it. I never heard back from the registering body, even when I politely asked if there was any follow up to the issue.

The whole thing is a joke. My 2nd kitty was adopted easily from the local RSPCA. She came with all her paperwork and to this day they're still happy to see photos and updates of how she is doing in her new place.

I am sorry you got caught out like me.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Unfortunately there are unethical breeders out there. These people sound unprofessional, to say the least. 

Do you intend to show her? Otherwise, I would just lose hope about the papers and complain about her in every possible place. I'm not sure about the US, but where I live it's illegal to conduct a business transaction without providing a receipt. Over here, it's something you can complain about to the tax authorities and they tend to take such complaints very seriously. It may not get you the papers but it could prevent her from basically scamming another person.