I need help with my two cats not getting along.

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two cats, B is a nine year old female that has been with me since she was a year old. K is almost four and has been with me since she was a few weeks old. Both are spayed. This might be long so please bear with me.

I adopted B when she was a year, she was found as a kitten outside after a huge storm. She's always been a bit skiddish and feisty, she got our attention when she pawed and meowed at us through the crate she was in. She's been a fine cat, she usually just likes to be left alone except for playtime and feeding. We've really not had many issues with her.

K was rescued when her mom died and I was quilt tripped into taking her in, I had to bottle feed her for a few weeks, I basically raised her up. She had a bother and sister, but I could only take her. She is full tilt just about all the time. She was kept in a room away from the other cat and my dog, she was introduced slowly to each through the door, then the open door.

Things at first went fine, tense but I thought K understood to let B just be but that isn't the case and nearly four years on it's just devolved into B staying in a crate ( it's open huge dog crate ) or under the bed. B hisses at K anytime they are near each other, however they will eat together and play along side each other, not together but in the same room, It's tough to play with them but I try to make it work. K sleeps on top of the dog crate. It's just all out war in our house at times. K will hiss at us, the dog, she'll also attack us, we have scratches and bites all over, she'll stalk us and lunge at us.

I have no idea what to do anymore. K is spraying everywhere. My house is ruined and I'm going to have to replace dry wall and carpeting. They have toys, there is a huge cat tree, we play with them three times a time for twenty minutes or more, we switch up the play, sometimes it's a flying bird feather toy and sometimes it's just a stick and string they seem to love. K never seems to wear out, she is always just wanting to play, she very much wants to play with B and B isn't having any of it. They are not happy, it's stressful for us and them and I'm at a lost to what to do. I know I've done things wrong a long the way and I'm working on fixing them, I just don't know how.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you had K checked out by the vet? She could have a urinary infection or some other medical reason for urinating outside of her litterbox. And, has she been spayed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you had K checked out by the vet? She could have a urinary infection or some other medical reason for urinating outside of her litterbox. And, has she been spayed?
She was spayed years ago when she was still a tiny kitten. She actually went into heat before her appointment and we had to wait a week. She sprays in the areas where the dog has peed, he has pads to use at night. But she does use the litter boxes, we have two in different areas for them.

I think the issues are so vast and I am deeply ashamed that I didn't realize until how bad things were until a stray starting coming up to our place. K is not at all happy at seeing another cat outside and goes ballistic, last time she saw the stray it was all out war with her and every living thing in the house, she settled down a few hours later.

We have a lot of work to do with all of them. We need to help B be more opened to K, we need K to settle down some, we need to dog to be less possessive of me and afraid of them. K and the dog used to be great together, the dog would lick her up and down when she was little and pal around with her. Over the years it's devolved and really I have only myself to blame and now I have a lot of work ahead of me and hope that I do things right and we can have a peaceful home. Because right now, my anxiety and stress levels are through the roof, I'm always on edge.

I've been watching a lot of My Cat From Hell, and we've started to implement things from the show. Such as playtime a few times a day, the dog is learning to stay on the couch during kitty play time. K has up high places to go, B has her places she can go. I guess I just need encouragement that I can get this to work.

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The stray came back to the door ( it's a huge sliding glass door ) and K hissed, I had to quickly get the dog away from the situation and as soon as I came back from putting him in another room the stray was gone but hanging around out back. I went outside to shot some water on it but it was gone. Came back inside and played with K and B and fed them dinner. K is now beside me sleeping with the dog at my feet.

K did seem to settle down a bit quicker today. But she still hissed at my husband a few times, but he was able to sit on the floor and she approached him and let him pet her before she hissed again.

It really is going to be a battle. As soon as we can afford it I'm taking her and B to the vet. It's going to take months and months to save up for that. I honestly don't know if I have it in me to do this, but I've got to, rehoming her is not an option.

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I'll just keep updating this thread.

It's been a few days and it's been raining a lot so I don't think my neighbors have put their cat outside the past few days. We're still going to get window film to block out the bottom half of our sliding glass door so I can open the blinds again and not feel I live in a cave.

Playtime has actually done a lot, the younger cat who still thinks she is a kitten has so much energy and it's been a great to get some of that out of her, especially the play before bed. We still have a lot of work to do as she still wants to be around our older cat who wants nothing to do with her. We're also going to get Feliway plug in and hope that calms things down some as well.

The other urgent situation I have going on is still fluid and I'm not sure what is goign to happen but it does seem like I have a bit more time to help my cat. My stress levels have gone down a lot and I'm glad I haven't made a decision I'd regret.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was spayed years ago when she was still a tiny kitten. She actually went into heat before her appointment and we had to wait a week. She sprays in the areas where the dog has peed, he has pads to use at night. But she does use the litter boxes, we have two in different areas for them.

I think the issues are so vast and I am deeply ashamed that I didn't realize until how bad things were until a stray starting coming up to our place. K is not at all happy at seeing another cat outside and goes ballistic, last time she saw the stray it was all out war with her and every living thing in the house, she settled down a few hours later.

We have a lot of work to do with all of them. We need to help B be more opened to K, we need K to settle down some, we need to dog to be less possessive of me and afraid of them. K and the dog used to be great together, the dog would lick her up and down when she was little and pal around with her. Over the years it's devolved and really I have only myself to blame and now I have a lot of work ahead of me and hope that I do things right and we can have a peaceful home. Because right now, my anxiety and stress levels are through the roof, I'm always on edge.

I've been watching a lot of My Cat From Hell, and we've started to implement things from the show. Such as playtime a few times a day, the dog is learning to stay on the couch during kitty play time. K has up high places to go, B has her places she can go. I guess I just need encouragement that I can get this to work.
I am happy to help.

First off, I DON'T WANT you feel guilty. The past is the past. The fact you are here and asking for help tells me that there is no need to feel guilty.

Cats take on our emotions so the more calm and confident we are the more they are. You obviously love them so just let that come out.

Makes sure you clean any pee areas with an enzymatic cleaner. When you clean stay as calm and confident as possible (I know it is hard). But remember, a cat doesn't want to pee outside of the litter box, it is a call of "HELP". Insecurity, Territorial Insecurity, Medical. It is really not what they want to do.

Ok, with that said.

It sounds like a confidence issue to being with. We build confidence through Play, Food Height and Love. And I will add Positive Encounters.

So please play with them as much as possible. Separately. Start in the place they are most confident and secure and then begin playing with them in areas they are less secure and confident. After play feed either treats or a meal. This replicates the instinct in the wild - Hunt, Capture, Kill, Eat. It builds a lot of confidence. Also, try to feed them treats or a meal together. To make a positive association - Good food and positivity makes a positive association and builds trust and confidence. Also, make sure they have a lot of cat trees to go high as height builds confidence. Cat shelving can also look good and give them height opportunities and places for a cat to chose to avoid rather than engage. Also, utilize desks, dressers, etc to give opportunities to go high and offer other areas to hang out, escape, avoid etc. Make sure they have warm and comfy bedding. Scratching posts as well. What we want is for them to have things that they can get their scent on and "own" that territory. Scent = ownership. Also, add litter boxes especially in places where they are peeing outside of the litter box. And eventually we will play with them in those areas. Finally, say calm and confident and loving around them. I know you love them so just let them know. Give them eye kisses (slowly close your eyes, keep them closed then slowly re-open them). Talk lovingly to them. Sit and hang out. If you can safely get them to relax, purr (without being at risk of being hurt in anyway) that can be helpful. Use treats, food to make them happy.

Try to make every encounter as positive as possible. Use a toy or a treat to distract a cat from a negative encounter. So if K wants to go after B (or vice versa) pull out a treat or a toy and see if you can distract the cat. If you can distract the cat it is really positive. And it builds the trust and confidence of the cat that may have been chased. Avoiding a negative encounter is a positive.

A confident cat is less likely to attack or be attacked so building confidence is very important.

And the more confident a cat is the more territorial secure they are and the less likely they will feel threatened and the need to mark (pee) from outside threats.

I am happy to help you. The fact you are here and asking for help is the most important thing. It is all about knowledge and effort. We have the knowledge and if you put the effort in I think we can solve this. Your situation does not seem severe (though I know it feels horrific being in the middle of it).

I think we will be fine. So please ask any questions, share any information about how they are doing, and I am happy to help. I do sometimes not get updates so if you post and I don't respond send me a message so I know you updated the thread.

I think we can make your life and the cats much better. I will do everything in my power to make that happen. Don't worry, I am highly confident we can solve this.

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have the litter boxes in two places, we don't have room for a third, but they are cleaned twice a day.

Some issues are B not wanting K around, K still very much thinks and acts like a 4 year old kitten, she really wants to play with B and B is older and just not into it. They can be in the same room, they will eat beside each other ( water bowl separates them ) will lie semi close to each other, they'll even play in the same room together as they like different toys, sometimes they get really close to each other while playing.

But we are trying so hard, They are my babies and I love them so very much. But I know I failed them and now that I have realized that, I'm changing my behavior so they can be happier.

Sabbers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have any advice but I feel your struggle I'm going through the same issues with my adopted cat. I think you're doing great you can get them to eat together and stay in the same room as each other. I was watching my cat from hell and a stray cat kept causing the resident cat to become stressed. The stray cat was pooping in their garden and the perimeter of their house, so they put these sensors down low that would let off a loud noise when the stray approached and they cleared away his markings, the cats started to calm down and establish their territory again. Good luck.

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been horrible, it's been like this for years and I just thought OK, K knows not to get around B. They've always ate and slept around each other. B just hasn't ever been into K and probably never will to be honest. Then the stray started coming around, I think it's more than one at this point and K was not having any of another cat being around, B just hisses and settles back down when it moves away but K just goes insane.

That said, It's been over a week that I've been working with them and it's going well. We've had a few setbacks, but I'm working on giving them a routine, they just had their night time playtime with a treat afterwards. I may never get them to be friends but to coexist together more peacefully would be great.

I may still have to look for a new home for K because of family circumstances but I'm still not sure. I have some time but I have no idea how long and I may get a call tomorrow that my family member is coming and I have no idea what I'll do.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have the litter boxes in two places, we don't have room for a third, but they are cleaned twice a day.

Some issues are B not wanting K around, K still very much thinks and acts like a 4 year old kitten, she really wants to play with B and B is older and just not into it. They can be in the same room, they will eat beside each other ( water bowl separates them ) will lie semi close to each other, they'll even play in the same room together as they like different toys, sometimes they get really close to each other while playing.

But we are trying so hard, They are my babies and I love them so very much. But I know I failed them and now that I have realized that, I'm changing my behavior so they can be happier.
I TOTALLY disagree. You HAVE NOT failed them.

The fact they can "be in the same room, they will eat beside each other ( water bowl separates them ) will lie semi close to each other, they'll even play in the same room together as they like different toys, sometimes they get really close to each other while playing." is SUCCESS!!! This is exactly what we try to accomplish.

I think what you are experiencing is an age/energy gap. Some cats are cat cats meaning they just love to be around other cats. Some cats are more human cats where they love a human but just don't really care about other cats. I have 4 cats now and one of mine is a Human cat where she has NO INTEREST in the other cats but is happy as can be while the others are cat cats and one is solely a cat's cat where she likes me but will chose the other cats over me every time.

Honestly, I think you have done an EXCELLENT job getting K and B to be successfully intro'd (getting along). I think you should be proud. They are safe, getting a good home, getting love. What more can we ask for really?

I think we can continue to improve the situation. We may not get them to be best buddies but to be happier we can do.

"Then the stray started coming around, I think it's more than one at this point and K was not having any of another cat being around, B just hisses and settles back down when it moves away but K just goes insane." - Yep, that will cause issues. Building Ks confidence will help the territorial security. Alley Cat Allies has a lot of great deterrent ideas. Not all are workable for everyone but they can help in addition to the confidence building.

Humane Deterrents

"That said, It's been over a week that I've been working with them and it's going well. We've had a few setbacks, but I'm working on giving them a routine, they just had their night time playtime with a treat afterwards. I may never get them to be friends but to coexist together more peacefully would be great." - FANTASTIC!!! There are always steps forward and back but you will make progress. We'll help you to continue to make progress.

I honestly think you are doing a great job. The facts n your post are so positive. It may not be perfect but it is a 9 out of 10 on cats living together. We need to work on the territorial security issue with the feral cats visiting but we can do that. Your issue really is the "perceived outside cat threat" so if we can get the feral cats away that will help a lot.

Just keep following the advice and ask us any questions. We are here to help you.

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the kind words.

Keep the strays away seems like an uphill battle. I can't really afford anything at the moment and it might not be the best solution, we are just knocking on the glass and chasing them off. I do believe at least one is the neighbors cat, but we've now confirmed that there is two different cats coming onto our patio. Monday I'm going to call animal control and see if they can at least trap the one, it looks like it might be pregnant and still very young. I feel so sorry for it. We can't do window film right now as it'll cost so much to cover up a sliding door, so we might have to put up pee pads so they can't see it at eye level.

It was back today and came right up to the glass and I removed the dog because he does not help matters what so ever, scared the stray away and K while hissed at it and my husband when he passed her got over it quickly. So yes, I think with her at least bonding through playing has helped a lot, it gets some of her neverending energy out. I so very hopeful. I have realized that while I'm trying to build a routine I can't always play with them three times a day, night time play before bed is a must and that will continue, but I really do need to be on the ball with day time play and I've slipped the past few days because of stuff.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well THANK YOU for caring about them and giving them a great home. My words are just the reality I am seeing.

Yes, it is tricky with ferals. That is why I am a big believer in building confidence as confidence helps a cat accept other cats better. Whether it is ferals or in intros with new cats in the house it really is the same idea. The more confident a cat is (the more territorially secure they are) the more likely they will accept other cats.

Animal control may just lead to a bad end result. :( See if there is a rescue in your area that might be able to do a TNR (Trap, Neuter/Spay, Return). I work with ferals and do TNR and believe that is the best way to handle ferals. Just removing a feral will just delay the eventual return of other ferals. Alley Cat Allies also has a list of people that might be available in you area to do TNR.

Play with the cats in that area where they see the ferals and after play feed either treats or a meal there. Also, try to add a litter box there if possible. And you may want to get an old shirt or rag and get the cat's scent on it and put it there so that that scent can help them feel more ownership of that territory.

You are doing great. Just play as much as possible. Life gets in he way. But it will build. The more cat confidence is built the more they will be like "hey, I don;t mind you, I am King (or Queen) of this territory. Also, try to do the scent thing I mention. And just hang out in that area and be calm and confident with the cats there so they feel comfortable and confident there.

PLEASE don't be so hard on yourself. You are honestly doing great. It is hard to be exact on routines and amounts. Just do your best. And try to stay really calm and confident around the cats. Cats are really good at picking up stress (and right now everyone is filled with stress for so many reasons) so just try your best. And if you can safely have the cats help reduce the stress it can really benefit both human and cat.

And of course, use us to help relieve stress. I deal with horrific situations so am accustomed to dealing with stressful situations so have kind of seen it all, gone through it all, and learned to kind of deal with it. And sometimes it just helps to get it off our chests.

We can do this. The building confidence (Play, Food, Love) and positive emotions and positive associations an building territorial security is the best defense on ferals in my opinion. I take care of a feral colony on my property and I get intact cats coming around all the time and my inside cats are dealing with that (I can;t use deterrents because my feral colony lives her) so building confidence is my only solution and it really does work.

Hang in there. We will get there. Keep up the great work!!

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can not feed the stray, the best I could do is call around about TNR, I do believe there is a local program in my area and I'm not sure if that is on hold at the moment due to Covid-19 and I know they have a fee attached but it's refundable. That would be a good solution because I do not want more stray animals in my neighborhood. In the years we lived here I've never seen so many stray cats not only in my yard just all over my neighborhood. I think some have just been left when people moved or have been dropped off in the woods and it's heartbreaking.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Totally understand. Feeding is not always necessary. Since mouse is actually a great diet. Feeding can also attract other animals.

Calling a TNR group would be great. That can reduce the reproductions, reduce the territorial marking, reduce the fighting, the mating, etc. It may be on hold but it is worth the call. I am on hold for TNR sadly because I am at high risk if I would develop Covid 19.

TNR can really do a good job of reducing the proliferation of cats in an area. The TNR cats will stick around most likely but since mates are not available intacts will just move along to another area to mate.

I know. Sadly, with all the job losses we will probably see a lot more strays and ferals. :( It is heartbreaking on every level. People can't afford food right now. It is horrific. But all we can do is our best. Life is not fair. :(

Hang in there. I know it is tough but it will get better if we don't give up and keep trying.

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We didn't see the stray today but the lawn was mowed so and we've just kept the blinds closed so I don't really know if it came around or not. Yeah it's really hard to help when you can barely survive as it is. I'm calling a local place that does TNR Monday because we're pretty sure the cat is pregnant and it does really break my heart.

So far OK on the other front, none of the animals like the mower so I took the dog for a long walk till they were done to help the cats out because I'm trying to do more for their anxiety and they always run and hide when the mowers come. I hope the progress can continue so we can have a more peaceful home. But I'm more hopeful than I was about the situation, I came undone but I love my animals and want to give them a great place to rule over.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We didn't see the stray today but the lawn was mowed so and we've just kept the blinds closed so I don't really know if it came around or not. Yeah it's really hard to help when you can barely survive as it is. I'm calling a local place that does TNR Monday because we're pretty sure the cat is pregnant and it does really break my heart.

So far OK on the other front, none of the animals like the mower so I took the dog for a long walk till they were done to help the cats out because I'm trying to do more for their anxiety and they always run and hide when the mowers come. I hope the progress can continue so we can have a more peaceful home. But I'm more hopeful than I was about the situation, I came undone but I love my animals and want to give them a great place to rule over.
I know. So many people right now are under such stress, emotionally, financially, etc. It is so heartbreaking. Just do your best. That is all we can do.

Well, I would guess the stray was probably around at some point during the night or other parts of the day. Usually strays tend to stay on a "route" and a routine. So often we do see them but they tend to be around.

That is great that you are going to call the TNR people. Hopefully they can help but given the current circumstances they may not be able to. But at least you are trying to do what you can. It is hard and heartbreaking. But again, all we can do is our best. I personally can't do TNR now and I know that means cats are going to reproduce and that is going to cause issues. But if I contract Covid and die like I probably would I will not be any help in the future. It is heartbreaking on so many levels. But life is not perfect and decisions are not easy. But even when we do TNR we don't neuter and spay all of them so there is always cats have kittens. It is just the magnitude now. There are other risks going forward I fear as well given this crisis. But we will do our best to deal with it.

GREAT news on the "other front". I really do believe building confidence is the key and also making positive associations, positive encounters and keeping our emotions as calm, confident and positive around them as cats take on our emotions. It sounds like you are doing a really good job so far!!

Keep up the great work, I think you will continue to see progress.

"But I'm more hopeful than I was about the situation, I came undone but I love my animals and want to give them a great place to rule over." - This is SO TERRIFIC!!! I am so glad you are seeing the positives now. I can totally see that you love your animals and that is why I am so confident we can solve this. It is hard when we love so much. We want perfection, the best. We can be too hard on ourselves, not see the whole picture. So sometimes having someone give some perspective can be helpful.

It honestly comes down to knowledge and desire/effort. I think we have the knowledge and I know you have the desire/effort. We can do this. And given what I think you are seeing validates that thought. Let's keep working hard and adjusting to any change as needed.

Please stay safe and keep up the great work. I really believe you are doing great!!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something I resorted to doing to keep a stray from marking my house and stressing out my cats...and was a tip given to me by a coworker who also did it for the same reasons....and it worked for both of us...and it's free.
Bare with me....

We "marked" our house and certain areas around the yard......yes.....we peed outside. Now this worked because the cat was spraying, I'm not sure if it works to just keep them away.

I would also like to say that I think you're doing a great job.

I do have a few questions...What type of dog do you have? Does K like the dog? What is the dogs demeanor towards each of the cats? I wonder if encouraging the dog and K to be playmates would help K leave B alone?
Building K confidence and keeping her energy levels down is key and you're doing that, but as for the marking on the dogs things, perhaps having the cat associate more positively to the dog would alleviate that.
Do you or have you been training with your dog as well?

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Something I resorted to doing to keep a stray from marking my house and stressing out my cats...and was a tip given to me by a coworker who also did it for the same reasons....and it worked for both of us...and it's free.
Bare with me....

We "marked" our house and certain areas around the yard......yes.....we peed outside. Now this worked because the cat was spraying, I'm not sure if it works to just keep them away.

I would also like to say that I think you're doing a great job.

I do have a few questions...What type of dog do you have? Does K like the dog? What is the dogs demeanor towards each of the cats? I wonder if encouraging the dog and K to be playmates would help K leave B alone?
Building K confidence and keeping her energy levels down is key and you're doing that, but as for the marking on the dogs things, perhaps having the cat associate more positively to the dog would alleviate that.
Do you or have you been training with your dog as well?

My dog is a 10 year old chihuahua, no K likes both the dog and other cat. K and the dog used to be best of buds and over the past year or so they're not so much, but they'll both curl up beside me on opposite sides. The dog does have issues with food and chases them away from his food dish when it's feeding time. K really just wants to play all the time with each of them, they're now both older and not into the hyper play she wants to do.

In some ways I think K is the bully and knows what gets them worked up and does it. Whenever I get the funds, I'm taking her to the vet, while she is still a great cat, I think she has issues that I think have to do with her being from a feral mom and the mom dying while K was just a few weeks old and then me taking her away from her siblings. So maybe something is mentally off with her due to the circumstances.

My poor B is just a ball of nerves and anxiety. She wants nothing to do with K, they'll play in the same room but B is always looking over to make sure it's safe for her to play, they'll eat just fine on their table, sometimes she'll let K sniff her but mostly she wants K to stay away from her. She never took to K like I thought she would, there were glimmers of hope here and there, but K plays rough and B isn't like that at all.

But you know not all hope is lost, I'm seeing improvements but we still have a long ways to go. I'm still concerned at what is going to happen when my family member comes, I don't want to put any human or cat into a dangerous situation. Till then, I'll work with them so I can have a more peaceful home.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dog is a 10 year old chihuahua, no K likes both the dog and other cat. K and the dog used to be best of buds and over the past year or so they're not so much, but they'll both curl up beside me on opposite sides. The dog does have issues with food and chases them away from his food dish when it's feeding time. K really just wants to play all the time with each of them, they're now both older and not into the hyper play she wants to do.

In some ways I think K is the bully and knows what gets them worked up and does it. Whenever I get the funds, I'm taking her to the vet, while she is still a great cat, I think she has issues that I think have to do with her being from a feral mom and the mom dying while K was just a few weeks old and then me taking her away from her siblings. So maybe something is mentally off with her due to the circumstances.

My poor B is just a ball of nerves and anxiety. She wants nothing to do with K, they'll play in the same room but B is always looking over to make sure it's safe for her to play, they'll eat just fine on their table, sometimes she'll let K sniff her but mostly she wants K to stay away from her. She never took to K like I thought she would, there were glimmers of hope here and there, but K plays rough and B isn't like that at all.

But you know not all hope is lost, I'm seeing improvements but we still have a long ways to go. I'm still concerned at what is going to happen when my family member comes, I don't want to put any human or cat into a dangerous situation. Till then, I'll work with them so I can have a more peaceful home.
"My poor B is just a ball of nerves and anxiety. She wants nothing to do with K, they'll play in the same room but B is always looking over to make sure it's safe for her to play, they'll eat just fine on their table, sometimes she'll let K sniff her but mostly she wants K to stay away from her. She never took to K like I thought she would, there were glimmers of hope here and there, but K plays rough and B isn't like that at all." - This is so common. The older resident cat just isn't in the same energy level as the new younger cat. And the styles are different. I help people with this same thing all the time.

BUT it is REALLY positive they eat on the table together. That ells me that they are fine. It may not be perfect but they are fine. And we can make it better.

Keep playing with B and then feed after and also make every encounter between them as positive as possible. And distract K from "bothering" B. Use a toy or a treat or words etc.

I have not heard anything that would suggest K is "off mentally". She sounds like a normal young cat to me. And the fact they can eat together is hugely positive. AND K gets along with the dog. K curling up with the dig and you is really positive. What other cat do you mention in the first paragraph. There relationship is actually pretty healthy. Sure it isn't perfect but it is really good and we can improve it. I think confidence building will help enormously as will K maturing.

"I don't want to put any human or cat into a dangerous situation." This statement took me by surprise. What are you concerned about? I didn't get a sense that either cat is dangerous. Did I miss something?

Have either cat ever hurt the other cat? Fur out? Blood? Hurt a human?

I am more and more confident that we can improve this. I do think the feral(s) are probably the source of most if not all of the problems and as we build their confidence and territorial security we should reduce that issue if not eliminate it.

But let's see how things work and adjust as needed. I do like to hear that some of what you are doing seems to be working so far. Really positive. Let's keep it up.

Good job!!

TGM2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just have two cats, B and K. They do fight, in fact B has a scratch on her ear now from K. K only attacked us once when she saw the stray, when I do see the stray before them, I take the dog into another room behind closed doors so that K doesn't redirect to him because she has. They usually fight when we're asleep, K tries to get to where B is and B hisses and swats and K does the same. B just wants K to leave her alone and K does not want to leave B alone. It reminds me of siblings bothering their other siblings and just being a pest. B doesn't ever seek out K, but K seeks out B. B would prefer to be an only cat, K would prefer to have another cat to play with and when you mix the personalities it's not easy going.

But yes, they've been eating side by side for years. I read on how to introduce them when I got K, who at the time was still being bottle fed. It seemed to go fine but I guess it didn't.