I need help with a senior dog and age-related dental problems

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 13 year old Pomeranian..
He was seen by a Vet 2 months ago about his dental issues. Both sides of face had swollen up to perhaps 3X?
Vet said using anesthesia to correct dental issues.pull teeth, is not recommended. Using anesthesia may be dangerous because of his weight. 6 pounds.
Vet gave 1 regiment of an antibiotic. Then a 2nd one.

I have given him the antibiotic regiments. The swelling of his face has subsided. At least for now.
I have give/ given him Biotene Oratene Maintenance Gel. I try everyday---miss some days because i forget when i get home from work and tired out. Plus he puts up a fight to have it put on his teeth. Does Biotene Oratene Maintenance Gel do what it says it will do?

I dont know what to do next?
His teeth look bad.
There has been some improvement with the above. His barking personality 'at everything' has returned to about 80%.
He still tilts his head to one side when barking which began with his dental issues.
About brushing his teeth? I know why i have a bad tooth, brushing hurts. Also, he would be difficult to brush but i would do it if route to go.
thanks

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are vets who use lighter anesthesia for elderly animals, my 15-year-old cat had surgery using this. it doesn't put them under as deep. There has to be some vet that has anesthesia for a smaller dog. After all, many elderly cats have oral surgery and they weigh about that much. I would call around and enquire, maybe find a vet in a city nearby. All the luck! PS I use Biotene oral water additive too, to be put in the drinking water. It has really helped my cats. My husband's uncle had a Pomeranian that lived to an incredible 21 years old. He had his registration papers to prove it!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, find a vet who IS comfortable with anethesia on a small older dog. He can't go on like that, usually antibiotics for dental issues are only to stabilize them until they can get actual dental work. Sure, there's a risk, but it's not as bad as just leaving his teeth that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone who replied and read about my pomeranians' dental problems.
To recap:
He has had the dental issues for about 4 months
2 months ago we realized he had a dental issue and brought him to a vet...and since given him 2 regiments of an antibiotic

2 week ago i posted here, he was on his second regiment of an antibiotics
In the 2 weeks, his dental issue improved, his mouth was no longer swollen. Hew was back to backing crazy normal again
I have been giving him Biotene for dogs dental spary.

Today as i post. his dental issue is rising again, His face is swelling up. He is barking with one side of his mouth tilted towards the ground
What do i do now?
He is about to begin a 3rd regiment of antibiotics
I scheduled a trip to his vet for next Monday to likely have teeth removed---but i am scared as the Vet said anesthesia for small dogs, he is 6 pounds, is very risky. The Vet has 40 years experience.
I am thinking, would not the teeth just fall out naturally over time? Although my dog would experience pain waiting for that to happen

Last edited:

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
An update since i posted the above post 3 hours ago. .
I went to the vet of my dog for his antibiotics, brought my dog.
The vet actually had time to examine my dog again. Usually he is vet busy

The vet said words to the effect: 2 teeth look ready to fall out. Other teeth are rotted
We set up an appointment for next week. The Vet will use a light anesthesia for the teeth removal, although he expressed concern about my doctor's older age and he may not survive/there is a risk with the anesthesia use. Vet checked my dogs health.
Dog is otherwise fine, can see him live another 3 years except for the teeth issues

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, did your vet do bloodwork? This is routine before any dental surgery and would also help alleviate your concern about putting him under anesthesia. Here is an article which explains the advantage of bloodwork prior to surgery:
Why Does My Dog Need Blood Work before Anesthesia?

Good luck with your dog's upcoming appointment next week. Fingers crossed he feels better after the extractions. :crossfingers:

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, did your vet do bloodwork? This is routine before any dental surgery and would also help alleviate your concern about putting him under anesthesia. Here is an article which explains the advantage of bloodwork prior to surgery:
Why Does My Dog Need Blood Work before Anesthesia?

Good luck with your dog's upcoming appointment next week. Fingers crossed he feels better after the extractions. :crossfingers:
I read the article with the link you provided. Very good information.
No, my dog has not had blood work done..
My significant other wants to get the teeth issue done asap and realizes the risk of the anesthesia---but i dont think she does.
My dog has a week with another regiment of antibiotics before having the dental work. I am hoping perhaps some teeth fall out naturally and perhaps buys some more time with him.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His dental issues are killing him. . .even if the teeth fall out, peridontal disease is a lot deeper than just teeth, so that won't fix his problems. So even if the procedure is risky, it has to be done. Hopefully he can have a few more good years after that mess is taken care of.

I think bloodwork should be done, but at the same time, if the vet is going to handle it the same way no matter how the bloodwork comes out (by being extra careful with the anesthetic), it may not make a difference.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His dental issues are killing him. . .even if the teeth fall out, periodontal disease is a lot deeper than just teeth, so that won't fix his problems. So even if the procedure is risky, it has to be done. Hopefully he can have a few more good years after that mess is taken care of.

I think bloodwork should be done, but at the same time, if the vet is going to handle it the same way no matter how the bloodwork comes out (by being extra careful with the anesthetic), it may not make a difference.
That is what i need to know. The dental problem is not going away by itself but will continue to damage his health and kill him eventually. He is scheduled Monday, , 6 days from now for the surgery.

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today being Monday, April 20,2020.

Just left the Vet's office where my dog will have 2-4 teeth removed today, i will get a call later this afternoon to the outcome.
I stayed with him as my Vet administered medicine to put him to sleep for the operation. . My dog's eyes to my eyes looking at each other as he slowly become relaxed and unconscious. I was with him.
If he does not make it through the surgery as the Vet was concerned about him not waking up from the anesthesia. His pain will be over.

He was on his 3rd regiment of antibiotics in the past week which was helping but not making the dental problem go away.
He had been chattering consistently around the clock which i understand is likely because he was in dental pain.

Thanks for the help here. Let ya know what happens.

Last edited:

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
great news, he survived. 6 teeth taken out, back home barking crazy
just ate 2 slices of pizza

<<that s his brother that he has lived with for 13 years.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure if he should be eating that much pizza so soon, you might be seeing it again ;). But I'm glad he made it and is in good spirits.
:yeah: Ditto!
I think I would take it easy on pizza especially if he has stitches. Glad his dental surgery went well and he's home recuperating with you now. :heartshape:

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
RE Great feedback!
He eats pizza about once a year,there are only 2 brands he likes . He begs for it then growls if you go near him as he eats it.
After he ate the pizza it hit me it may have not been a good decision with stitches.
Tonight he ate a lot of shaved beef his other favorite food
Ge;s eating like he has not ate in a long time which is partially true