I need help with a feral

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No no no, please please do not let this kitten back outside. That is not the answer. If she still is refusing to eat, I would look for a different vet. Putting this kitten back outside is surely a death sentence for her. She needs to eat and if she is still refusing a different vet is a must.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m super concerned, they said she will eat when she is ready. She is a very active little girl. Should I wrap her in a blanket like a burrito then syringe feed her?
Try the KMR, and then KMR with kitten food in a slurry first before force feeding her with a syringe. If that doesn't work, then yes, use the info above on how to administer food via a syringe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittycat12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update! I got some KMR and put it on a plate, she walked over to it but as she went to drink it someone rang the doorbell and she ran away😩 this is progress right?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update 2! She is eating!!!!!!! I’m beyond excited❤ I’m so glad I was so worried

Such good news!!! I hope she continues to do so well. Thank you so much for updating us! I have been thinking about you.
Btw, does she have a name? Pictures would also be great!!

Kittycat12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Such good news!!! I hope she continues to do so well. Thank you so much for updating us! I have been thinking about you.
Btw, does she have a name? Pictures would also be great!!
I named her Sassy, this was her when I went to trap her
2BFBB0C4-5CC1-44D5-8320-69AA7728D3AD.png

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is just beautiful! Is she really only 4 months old? She looks quite big. I love her name. Thank you for sharing.

Kittycat12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay I have a question, is it possible that she is pregnant? I know she is not any older than 7 months but today when I went to feed her, her belly looked a little big. She’s not eating a lot still ( only formula).

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is certainly possible. Yet I would have expected the vet to know this. Is there a chance you can get her to another vet? She really needs to be eating more. The larger belly is a concern.

Kittycat12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is certainly possible. Yet I would have expected the vet to know this. Is there a chance you can get her to another vet? She really needs to be eating more. The larger belly is a concern.
I’m going to call the vet I took her to and ask if they noticed anything, she did eat chicken yesterday but that was the only time she ate solid. She is drinking a lot of formula.

Dee1956

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I just trapped a stray 4 month old kitten yesterday after noon, It’s not fully feral just more of a skittish kitten. Well she hasn’t ate anything since I got her😞 I have offered her canned food, dry food, and tuna she doesn’t want it. I have worked with feral cats before but they have always ate with in a few hours after getting them. I don’t know what to do, does anyone have any advice?
Hi when we took in two feral kittens we kept them in our bathroom. They hid in their carrier for 2 days. I was worried but they finally came out. I left food and water in the bathroom with them. Good luck! They're definitely teaching me patience.

Kittycat12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is she doing? Please check in when you can.
I’m so sorry I completely forgot to post updates. She is still eating! But I have had her for 3 weeks and no progress on her wanting to be friendly😞 I don’t know what to do! Any tips?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so happy she is eating!! Yes, I do have some tips.

Feliway plugins are a great way to help a nervous cat adjust. Most cats find the product soothing. You can find Feliway at most pet stores as well as on Amazon.

A helpful product is Composure treats or Composure Liquid Max. The first few nights inside are very stressful. The cat will often yowl and cry all night. The Composure is very useful in calming the cat at night. I first tried the treats, but after a week or so, the cat no longer liked the treat. I then switched to the liquid as it was very easy to mix into wet food. Composure is available at the best price on Amazon.

No direct eye contact. Feral cats find this very threatening. Keep your gaze over the top of their head or look down.

Talk softly. You want them to get used to your voice. Carry on a conversation or even read aloud from a book or magazine.

Sit on the ground so you are not looming over the cat. You also want to keep your movements slow.

Food rewards are the way to a ferals heart. Find a special yummy treat such as plain cooked chicken or turkey, salmon, tuna or sardines. I would start by giving them a very small plate with some of the special treat. I would then have small pieces beside me and begin to toss the treat towards the cat. Each toss I would get the treat a little closer to me. I would do this activity each day. After a few weeks, the cats are often getting quite close as long as you keep your movements slow and gaze down.

A very special food reward I stumbled across is Gerber Stage 2 baby food. Cats love the chicken or turkey. The jar is very small with a blue label. The ingredients are chicken or turkey and water, no added spices. I started with a bit on a plate and as time went by, I offered it on a spoon. When working with young ferals or kittens, they can often be coaxed to lick this off your fingers. Just remember this is a treat reward and not a meal replacement.

10. Remember that when working with ferals it is often 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Just take it slow and steady. Also celebrate the small advancements.

Here is a video series on socializing feral kittens. It's a 3 part video series that starts with the rescue of feral kittens and moves on to socializing. I have used many of the tips in working with older feral cats.

Here is another article with some great tips.

Come back and ask questions. We are here to help!