I need help...cookie plea

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can everyone please post your chocolate chip cookie recipes? I am desperate to find the right recipe, but nothing seems to turn out the way I want.
I'm looking for chewy cookies with that light golden crisp around the edge. They puff up during baking and then flatten real nice, but not TOO thin.

I also have another question.

I sort of, almost, have the perfect recipe...but it's for double chocolate chip cookies. So, chocolate cookie with chocolate chips. They have the texture I want but I'm not sure if I can simply omit the cocoa, or if I would have to substitute the cocoa with additional flour? Any Ideas?

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Since my cooking/baking skills stop at pressing "start" on the microwave, my chocolate chip cookie recipe is:
-go to store
-buy cookies

Sorry I can't be more help 😕

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes you can change the texture of the cookie by changing the fat in it. Butter makes a soft cookie, margarine will be crispier and shortening even more so. As far as your double chocolate, I would try it without the cocoa and no other changes to the recipe. If they end up too thin, which I doubt you could add the additional flour.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes you can change the texture of the cookie by changing the fat in it. Butter makes a soft cookie, margarine will be crispier and shortening even more so.
I actually just found a website that explains the science behind all the ingredients to a choc chip cookie, from the fat to amount of eggs and type of flour or sugars, etc....
I think I'm going to try and just invent my own recipe at this point.:thumbsup:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always used the Nestle recipe, but the last time I did, the cookies were too crisp for me. I think it's the baking time, and next time I'm going to watch the oven carefully, and when the edges are just a little brown, take the cookies out. I think the puffiness will then deflate, and I'll have chewy cookies.

BTW, Jewel here makes its own cookies, and the peanut butter chocolate cookies are to die for. That's what I'd like to bake.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hadn't tried it, with the kids grown I don't bake a lot, but Hilton released the recipe for the Doubletree cookies. The Official Recipe of the Signature DoubleTree Cookie They have both rolled oats and walnuts in them. They also have a little bit lemon juice in them, I had never seen that before. They make them into large cookies I would guess that you could change that. People have long raved about those cookies that they give out when people check in. They released the recipe during the pandemic when people were staying home and doing a lot of baking. When I was doing a lot of baking I would just use the Tollhouse recipe.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try these suggestions:

This DoubleTree Hotel chocolate chip cookie recipe is supposedly good: https://www.thekitchn.com/doubletree-cookie-recipe-review-23027388

More recipes:

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I hadn't tried it, with the kids grown I don't bake a lot, but Hilton released the recipe for the Doubletree cookies. The Official Recipe of the Signature DoubleTree Cookie They have both rolled oats and walnuts in them. They also have a little bit lemon juice in them, I had never seen that before. They make them into large cookies I would guess that you could change that. People have long raved about those cookies that they give out when people check in. They released the recipe during the pandemic when people were staying home and doing a lot of baking. When I was doing a lot of baking I would just use the Tollhouse recipe.
I have eaten many, many hotel check in cookies during work travels and they are always delicious. But they are on the thick and bready side and the oats would explain that.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Jem Jem For some chocolate chip cookie recipes, check out: Recipes - Cookies
AbbysMom AbbysMom posted the Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe
I have King Arthur's Essential Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe.

Look around on that thread and you should be able to find something!
I can tell you that I've made the Double Tree Cookies several times now and they are super-good.

Oh and a hint: Now when I make chocolate chip cookies, I use half butter, half margarine. I have found that when I throw some margarine in there, the cookies puff up more and do not flatten out so much. I don't know how you feel about margarine; some people simply won't use it. I use it when I need to. And I don't grease my cookie sheets at all anymore. Parchment paper works better for me. When I grease the sheets, the cookies tend to spread more. I switched over to parchment and I like the cookies more.

ETA: My apologies to neely neely . I didn't realize that you had already posted the link to our Cookies thread. :paperbag:

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My co-worker brought some choc chip cookies for us to share...she said she was bored over the weekend and decided to bake......I'll take it! LOL!
So anyway, they were REALLY good and ALMOST to my standard of perfect...she sent me the recipe to play with. There are some slightly tedious steps like browning the butter and chilling the dough, but wow, they were really good.
I compared the recipe (ingredient wise) to my double choc chip recipe, and they are very similar...so I might be on the right track to finding the right recipe for me.
I also took the time to read up on the science of what ingredients to what and what to do to those ingredients, for example melted butter vs room temp etc...
I also found out that by simply removing the cocoa from my double choc recipe may lead to not having enough acid to help the leavening...however if I switch out the white sugar to brown sugar., it will provide the acid I need back into the recipe and will also add that extra bit of moisture for a bit more "chew".
Science is so fun!!!!!

I'm going to take my recipe and combine it with the recipe my coworker gave me, with a few tweaks based on what I learned. I'll also write down my "invented" recipes as I go so I can remember what steps I took along the way.

Wish me luck!!!

P.S. My husband is totally on board with me making a bunch of cookie batches for him to give me feedback....he's SO helpful..:rolleyes3: ;)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep thinking of that Friends episode where Monica tries to recreate Phoebe's French grandmother's chocolate chip recipe and it turns out the recipe is just the one of the back of a package of Toll House chocolate morsels :lol:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep thinking of that Friends episode where Monica tries to recreate Phoebe's French grandmother's chocolate chip recipe and it turns out the recipe is just the one of the back of a package of Toll House chocolate morsels :lol:
LOL! They've been playing Friends on TV and I just saw that episode not too long ago!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the recipe I have been working on for years.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

⅔ c softened butter
⅔ c shortening
1 c packed brown sugar (I prefer dark with this recipe, but light works)
1 c granulated sugar
2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk
1 ½ T half and half (Not milk)
2 t vanilla
3 cups chocolate chips (I use half semisweet and half milk chocolate) tossed in flour
3 ¼ c flour
¼ c cornstarch
2 t baking soda
1t baking powder
¾ t salt
Coarse salt for sprinkling

Preheat oven to **415 F
Line cookie tray with parchment paper

In a large bowl, beat butter and shortening until fluffy. Add both sugars. Beat for two minutes. Add vanilla, half and half, and eggs.

Toss chocolate chips (or any other chips or nuts you add) in flour. Fold into batter.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to mix into batter. It will look like too much flour, but it is fine.

Refrigerated Method (best way): Refrigerate for at least an hour, but overnight is better. Scoop with a scoop by ⅛ c (or ¼ c and split into two) and place on the parchment paper, 6 cookies per sheet. Sprinkle with coarse salt (optional) Bake for 12-14 minutes. Refrigerate dough in between batches. Remove from sheet immediately and let cool. (Ovens vary, so do a practice cookie and adjust as needed.)

**Non-Refrigerated Method (still good, just different): Preheat oven to 400 F. Scoop with a scoop by ⅛ c (or ¼ c and split into two) and place on the parchment paper, 6 cookies per sheet. Sprinkle with coarse salt (optional). Bake for 13-15 minutes. Remove from sheet immediately to let cool. Store cooled cookies in an airtight container.

They can be made smaller or larger. The "just-slightly-bigger-than-a-golfball" size works best, however. This recipe produces thicker cookies that are crisp on the outside and soft, cake-like in the middle, without being doughy. Since you want a slightly thinner cookie, gently flatten the dough a little before baking.

Makes about 2 to 3 dozen. The dough freezes well.

• Purraise

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here is the official Disneyland cookie recipe, I did it once and I think it is similar to what you are looking for...

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup butter (2 sticks)

1 1/4 cups brown sugar

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1 egg

1 egg yolk

1 teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup chocolate chips

2 1/4 cups flour

DIRECTIONS:

Brown butter and let it cool until it begin to solidify.

Cream butter sugars and salt in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.

Mix in whole egg, egg yolk, and vanilla.

Combine dry ingredients and mix into the batter.

Add chocolate chips.

Scoop into balls and chill thoroughly, at least an hour, preferably overnight.

Bake at 350 for seven to 10 minutes until golden brown on edges but still soft in the center.

• Purraise

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sooooooo, my first attempt.......:crackup:

I spooned the flour in the measuring cup then leveled so I did not add too much.
I creamed the butter and sugar - decided not to brown the butter yet as that affects flavor more than anything.
I hand mixed the flour into the wet ingredients to make sure not to over mix.
325F on parchment paper. With pretty big cookies, I made balls probably a bit bigger than golf balls.
I did not chill the dough....wanted to see what would happen.
The dough was pretty sticky but it's warm in my kitchen.
I had to bake them for 15 minutes!!! as they were just too gooey...and they spread WAY too much! Not an even bake either.
Taking them off the baking pan was...interesting, I ended up having to let them cool on the pan for several minutes or they would just...well, think of the blob...oozing/melting over my spatula in slow motion...then falling apart.
They were also a little greasy after cooling....not horribly though.
I only made one pan of 6 cookies to start...

The pluses...
They did have a really nice flavor...maybe a bit too sweet...
they also had a good chewiness about them
The edges...well, the outer inch diameter of the cookie (seriously, they spread a LOT)...did caramelize nicely.

I now have the rest of the dough in the fridge to chill and we'll see what happens with the next pan.

Oh, and just in case anyone wants to know....my base recipe that I put together after "melding" 3 recipes together and also halving it to not waste if it turned out bad is:

3/4 cup butter (salted)
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated (white) sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet)

Last edited:

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve had great success using the regular Nestle recipe since I started actually measuring the butter. I accidentally discovered that there is a little more than half a cup of butter in a stick, about half a tablespoon extra. With the extra butter removed, they turn out perfect every time. No more flat greasy cookies.