I need help...cookie plea

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have made this recipe many, many times in many variations for years. It has never let me down. These were hands down my late MIL's favorite cookie. When they came down to Florida I would double the batch and bring the dough to their house. I'd bake them there and after they cooled I would wrap all of them individually so she could freeze them and have one whenever she wanted.

I've made a few changes to the recipe. I use salted butter. I cut the salt in half because of the salt in the butter. I increase the brown sugar by 1/4 cup and decrease the white sugar by the same amount. I have found that it makes a softer cookie that way. I take them out of the oven at 13 minutes. They come out perfect every time. They have also made them with white chips and macadamias. Wonderful. I have brought this variety to countless potlucks at work. Everybody loves them. I have also made them with half white chips, half peanut butter chips. Half chocolate chips (always semisweet), half Heath bar bits. All with the same excellent results.

Best Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. It uses dark chocolate. The cookies tend to rise, and to flatten them out, the author recommends slamming the pan down on the counter to make them fall and give them that nice chewy, crinkly texture.

1. Pan Bang!? The easy trick of banging the pan a few times after baking, causing the cookies to “fall,” produces a cookie covered in lovely crinkles on the surface and redistributes the melted chocolate.

• 1 cup (8oz/225g) butter
  • 1¼ cups (7 1/2oz/212g) light brown sugar
  • ¾ cup (6oz/170g) white granulated/caster sugar
  • 2½ cups (12 1/2oz/354g) all-purpose flour/plain flour
  • 1½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 large eggs*
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional, but encouraged)
  • 2 cups (12oz/340g) bittersweet chocolate chunks
Instructions
  • Whisk the flour, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Set aside.
  • In a separate bowl melt the butter. Add in both white and

brownsugars and whisk vigorously for about 1 minute.
  • Whisk in one egg to the sugar-butter mixture, stirring until it's fully mixed in. Scrape the sides of the bowl with your spatula.
  • Whisk in the second egg and the vanilla and then scrape the sides of the bowl again.
  • Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir with the spatula to fully combine. Make sure you've scraped the bottom of the bowl and there are no streaks of dry ingredients left. Stir in the chocolate chips. The dough will be soft but DON'T add more flour. It needs to be chilled now to firm up.
  • IMPORTANT NOTE: Chill the dough for a minimum of 1 hour. This will make it easier to scoop and your cookies will keep their shape better while baking. (This dough can be made and kept in the fridge for 7 days. The dough also freezes really well)
  • Scoop 14-15 balls of cookie dough (1/4 cup/100g each) and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Leave some space between the cookies as they spread out during baking.
  • Bake the cookies at 375°F (190°C) for about 12-15 minutes roughly, or until the edges are set and the cookie is beginning to turn golden brown throughout, but still doughy in the middle. It is really important you don't over-bake these cookies otherwise they won't be soft in the middle.
  • Once out of the oven bang the hot pan on the counter a few times to create crinkles on top of the cookie (see tips). Let cool on the sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store them at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, chilling the dough helped a little bit with the spread but they were still a bit too flat/thin. The chewy texture was great and the caramelization was spot on around the edges.

My husband was not much help....all he said was they're good, you can make these again...:doh:
Not the point of this endeavor sweetie! :rolleyes2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 , those look pretty good. What's kinda cool is many of her "tips" are actually ones I was planning to incorporate into my base recipe.....once I got the ratios where I wanted them.
Thanks!