I need help, cat not eating, throwing up, saw vet

Hydrangea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
6 year old indoor cat, eating less for the last few months, seems to prefer grazing a few bites at a time but was maintaining his weight and very active.
8 days ago started throwing up after meals. on and off for about 5 days. Then didn't want to eat at all one morning.not even human turkey cold cuts, his favorite I went to vet that day. x-ray was fine. all blood work was fine, a few things slightly off but she didn't think it's more than IBS and maybe slight pancreatitis, but leaned more toward IBS and upset stomach sort of thing. SHe gave him a shot to help with nausea and he came home, ate super light for 3 days and now today throwing up white foam with pink ( blood) in it. Called vet and she prescribed 3 days of a pill for that nausea( same ingredient) as the shot and a few weeks of prednisone. so today I started both and what a nightmare, this sweetie hated them and was foaming up, drooling and wanted the meds out of his mouth. he now has not eaten at all since yesterday, maybe 30-36 hours but he is drinking and I gave him some extra ml water so he doesn't dehydrate.

any thoughts, advise or input appreciated. The vet did say that if he doesn't eat one day, don't freak out, give this anti-nausea medicine more time to work but it's been 4 hours since I gave it so I don't think it's working at all, and not even sure if he got the right dosage. it's only 1/4 pill 1x a day for 3 or 4 days. tried it crushed in water and he foamed so I'll try just the 1/4 pill straight tomorrow.

mittens23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried wet food with low sodium beef broth? Make it into a slurry syringe feed or let him lick it from a spoon. There is also cat food for sensitive stomachs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hydrangea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried wet food with low sodium beef broth? Make it into a slurry syringe feed or let him lick it from a spoon. There is also cat food for sensitive stomachs
thank you! I just ran to the store and got tuna( he never eats tuna, only chicken, turkey, liver, duck) and he ate about a tablespoon and drank some of the liquid. so that was it all day so far, but at least it was something...

mittens23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you! I just ran to the store and got tuna( he never eats tuna, only chicken, turkey, liver, duck) and he ate about a tablespoon and drank some of the liquid. so that was it all day so far, but at least it was something...
Be careful with the tuna. To much tuna can be bad. At least he is getting some type of fluid. Maybe perhaps tuna juice in his water. Maybe. In our prayers

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try pill pockets, try a pill popper, try hiding the pill in something else ...

Also try hand feeding him.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try plain meat baby food with no onions or garlic and no veggies. You also might want to try Science Diet i/d or Royal Canin tummy food from the vet. When my guy was like this, we finally gave him Science Diet a/d which is like kitty crack.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hydrangea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you!!! That might work temporarily.... are there any other brands similar that are more holistic and grain free ? no corn or "flavor"
also curious if your cat stayed on it and then went back to whatever they were eating before? and did they have more attacks?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
thank you. That might work temporarily.... are there any other brands similar that are more holistic and grain free ? no corn or "flavor"
The Urgent Care A/D is only meant to be given on a temporary basis to stimulate the cat's appetite and put weight on since it is high in calorie content. So please don't worry since a cat not eating for more than 24 - 48 hrs. is more dangerous.
Thinking of you and sending special thoughts. :vibes::vibes:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once you get your kitty eating, start mixing your regular food with the A/d, then move to your own food. It's really meant to be a stop-gap food to get a kitty eating or to get a malnourished kitty lots of nutrients. You might also look into a grain-free kitten food as a short term attempt. Then transition to your regular food.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you. That might work temporarily.... are there any other brands similar that are more holistic and grain free ? no corn or "flavor"
My cat takes liquid flavored pepcid ac which still does not totally like so I mix in tiki after dark with rawz canned.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Get something like delectables bisque or squeeze ups and different canned foods
Also, dont mix the pill with water it makes it froth
You can order a pill syringe or gelatin capsules to put it in.
Or pill dough which is flavored to cover pills...
Or greenies pill treats

JulieHarr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Had a cat once with sensitive stomach and I gave him Ark Naturals Gentle Digest. Worked great for him.