I need answers about my cats past/current urinary problems!

AlexM97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, forgive me for the long post. But I need help regarding some questions I have about my cats urine.
I have a 5 year old male Manx kitty. About a year ago I noticed him peeing outside the litter box, all over the house. I never paid much attention to the looks of the urine. But I figured the peeing outside of the litter box was related to me not allowing him to roam free outside anymore.
About 3 months later (9 months ago), I had to rush him to the emergency vet. Come to find out, he had urinary crystals blocking his Urethra. After a couple vet visits within that week, and a special prescribed diet of “Royal Canin Urinary So” wet and dry food. I haven’t had any issues with him.
But a couple weeks after all that he started peeing in the house regularly again. I kept a really really close eye on him, and never noticed him in pain or anything. He acted normal again so to speak.
I believe his continuous peeing in the house has been related to him wanting attention, wanting outside, and seeing the neighbors cats come too close to the windows (as he follows them throughout the house via the windows ). He Usually pees next to the doors, next to the couch when I sit on it. And next to the bed when I sleep in. And it’s usually not very much urine. Like 1OZ or less. But I have visibly seen him produce much more in the litter box. Which makes me think he’s peeing out of spite, and not because he really needs too.
I recently noticed some dried pee on the hardwood floor. And it had lots of visible crystals (the best way I can describe it).
I am now really worried that he has crystals or kidney stones about to block his urethra again! But I’m puzzled because when he went to the emergency vet 9months ago, they said the crystals were microscopic. But I recall seeing these visible “crystals” in his urine months ago when he started peeing in the house again. Can anyone help me with advice/ info?
he hasn’t been acting any stranger that usual. I only feed him the urinary so prescribed formula. He mostly licks the wet food. He eats lots of the dry food. And he gets a good bit of “urinary so” Treats, as he begs for them nonstop because he’s spoiled rotten. I also got him a cat water fountain Many months ago as I read that makes them drink more.
i have been using “Pretty Litter” to monitor His urine. But never thought it worked, because when my other cat Would use it. Her urine would be pretty yellow (which according to pretty litter is high acidity). But I’ve never had any issues with her.
Thanks for reading!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AlexM97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention in his description that he is a neutered cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would get him back into the vet pronto. While the SO may be helping, it might not be enough, especially if he eats more dry and very little wet food. And, it sounds like he is easily stressed, which can add to existing urinary issues.

Passing crystals is painful, hence the reason he avoids the litter box as he correlates the pain with the box and not with him urinating. He isn't peeing inappropriately out of spite. And, while seeing other cats outside might create a reaction, there is very likely more than just that going on.

Having urinary issues in a male cat can be much more dangerous than with a female, as the male's anatomy more easily can causes blockages. Some cats are more prone to urinary issues than others. Unfortunately, your guy may be one of them.

Get him back into the vet for a urinalysis/urine culture, and perhaps an x-ray or ultrasound to see how bad the crystals are.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If nothing else, at least contact your Vet for a discussion about what is going on and perhaps get a urine sample over to them. I know I used to have cats who would urinate around the doors because of outdoor cats that would hang around our patio. I figured they were marking their territory to try to keep those cats away, but it was still very annoying. Luckily they only peed on the thresh holds, no where else outside the litter boxes.

Does the Pretty Litter say it can detect crystals? I know it can detect certain issues, but not sure on the crystals.