I need advice

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is the Veterinarian that refuses to spay a pregnant cat, even if only 1 week pregnant, going to take and keep the kittens your cat may birth? Just curious Don't use the vet with the bad reviews. Although a spay is a routine procedure, it is still a serious surgery that can have serious life-threatening consequences if not done properly or with aseptic sterile measures in place. It is comparable to an ovarian hysterectomy in people. There have to be more than just two veterinarians in your area, I would think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ABEER SULIMAN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is the Veterinarian that refuses to spay a pregnant cat, even if only 1 week pregnant, going to take and keep the kittens your cat may birth? Just curious Don't use the vet with the bad reviews. Although a spay is a routine procedure, it is still a serious surgery that can have serious life-threatening consequences if not done properly or with aseptic sterile measures in place. It is comparable to an ovarian hysterectomy in people. There have to be more than just two veterinarians in your area, I would think.
No he isn't going to take them and why would he, he sees alot of cases just like mine why would he help my cat he refuses to do the surgery just because of medical ethics and I'm in no way going to let her go through the pregnancy there's from no to little adopters and i still have three kittens that i rescued to find home for,
And I'm sure there's only two vets in my city I've been living here my whole life i live in Tabuk, Saudi Arabia you can search that in Google and tell me if you find other than the two vets

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That sums everything in my mind THANK YOU yeah i will just wait till Tuesday if she is actually pregnant i will take her to the other vet he has no problem with doing the surgery anyway
Yes, I second Norachans summarizing opinion, and thus, your decision.

I read once in a british veterinary handbook, re spaying in heat or not... So they even preferred to spay after mating, ie technically an early abortion. Not because it was pleasant for them, nor their recommendation, but it was a quarantee the cat wasnt in heat when in spay operation...

So, such an operation isnt medically complicated, and definitely easier than when spaying in heat.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read once in a british veterinary handbook, re spaying in heat or not... So they even preferred to spay after mating, ie technically an early abortion.
My old vet said that too. If someone's cat was in heat and driving them crazy, he'd tell them to let her outside for a night and then schedule her spay for two weeks later. And he was rabidly anti-abortion for humans (even had anti-abortion paraphernalia around the office, which is a little weird for a vet's office). Cats aren't people, I don't understand vets who won't do early spay/aborts. Late term, sure, I could see being uncomfortable with that, but not early on, and especially not in the first week.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Abeer, my apologies. It was late and I was being sarcastic. Not helpful.
Having started my career in vet medicine doing shelter work, I have seen the endless amounts of cats and kittens that are unwanted and suffer because of it, or are euthanized. It is gut wrenching. To me it is better to not be born than to be born with the future of suffering assured. But that is my beliefs, and I have no rite to think everyone should feel the same.
I also always just assume everyone is in the same area I am where there is an abundance of veterinarians. I have no idea what things are like where you are.

I will still stand by what I said about not using the vet with poor reviews and doing your best to try to assure the “good”. Er that your cat isn’t pregnant, given that she was only bred once and it was her first breeding and she is young and in heat.

I hope everything goes well for you and your car and I think it is great you are trying to be responsible with her and obviously care deeply for her.

ABEER SULIMAN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I second Norachans summarizing opinion, and thus, your decision.

I read once in a british veterinary handbook, re spaying in heat or not... So they even preferred to spay after mating, ie technically an early abortion. Not because it was pleasant for them, nor their recommendation, but it was a quarantee the cat wasnt in heat when in spay operation...

So, such an operation isnt medically complicated, and definitely easier than when spaying in heat.
I can see why it's better other from the fact it will be easier in term of surgery but also cats are aggressive and stressed when they're in heat, not that im saying mating is a good idea it's stressful too and I don't want her to go through this again.

ABEER SULIMAN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Abeer, my apologies. It was late and I was being sarcastic. Not helpful.
Having started my career in vet medicine doing shelter work, I have seen the endless amounts of cats and kittens that are unwanted and suffer because of it, or are euthanized. It is gut wrenching. To me it is better to not be born than to be born with the future of suffering assured. But that is my beliefs, and I have no rite to think everyone should feel the same.
I also always just assume everyone is in the same area I am where there is an abundance of veterinarians. I have no idea what things are like where you are.

I will still stand by what I said about not using the vet with poor reviews and doing your best to try to assure the “good”. Er that your cat isn’t pregnant, given that she was only bred once and it was her first breeding and she is young and in heat.

I hope everything goes well for you and your car and I think it is great you are trying to be responsible with her and obviously care deeply for her.
Don't worry you don't have to be sorry, I'm not good at catching sarcastic (neither jokes), also i was overly sensitive over the fact we have two vets in a whole city ^-^ my original vet always gave good care to my cat's it's just this one time it was a problem for him, i hope he will understand that by doing these kind of surgeries he's doing rather a wonderful thing to our cats community and the overpopulation problem we have in here, also rest assured im not gonna make the other vet do my cat surgery until it's my very last hope.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately you’ve been given some terribly incorrect information on this thread.

As an experienced breeder I can assure you cats routinely get pregnant from a single mating (also number of matings is not indicative of the number of kittens, single matings produce anything from 1-8 kittens as normal), it’s also usual for cats to remain in heat for several days regardless of the number of matings that have taken place, they don’t come off heat immediately following mating.

letting a cat out to take them off call prior to neutering exposes them to STD’s, as your cat has mated outside she’ll need testing.

do go ahead with the appointment, it’s far too early for them to tell if she’s pregnant via a scan or palpating.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Unfortunately you’ve been given some terribly incorrect information on this thread.
I'm sure you are very experienced, but I have to disagree.

According to Estrus Cycles In Cats | VCA Animal Hospitals

The queen can be bred at any time when in heat. Cats are induced ovulators, which means that the act of breeding stimulates the release of eggs from the ovaries. Most females require three to four matings within a 24-hour period for ovulation to occur. It only takes a minute or two for cats to mate, and cats may mate multiple times in a short period of time. Queens may mate with several different tomcats during this time, so it is possible that a litter of kittens may have several different fathers. Once ovulation has occurred, the queen will go out of heat within a day or two.

ABEER SULIMAN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

As an experienced breeder I can assure you cats routinely get pregnant from a single mating (also number of matings is not indicative of the number of kittens, single matings produce anything from 1-8 kittens as normal), it’s also usual for cats to remain in heat for several days regardless of the number of matings that have taken place, they don’t come off heat immediately following mating.

letting a cat out to take them off call prior to neutering exposes them to STD’s, as your cat has mated outside she’ll need testing.

do go ahead with the appointment, it’s far too early for them to tell if she’s pregnant via a scan or palpating.
I already talked with my vet about the possibility of STD and FeLV and he will be testing her in the next appointment in the time being he told me to look for signs and bring her immediately if anything happens, I'm hoping she didn't get infected and im hoping the mating wasn't a successful one

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
letting a cat out to take them off call prior to neutering exposes them to STD’s,
It does.

I should have clarified that I DON'T agree with my old vet on this, I mentioned it just to say that it was apparently a common recommendation back in the day, even for people who are anti-abortion for humans. Although it's probably a better option than dumping the cat out in the country or at a shelter, which he said he had seen too often and that's why he recommended it.

ABEER SULIMAN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update!
Saturday i went to the vet for the ultrasound but he said he will do it in the day of the surgery but he assured me that 90% he will do it sense my cat is still in heat honestly i feel relieved and I'm preparing the space my cat is gonna stay in until she recover, but i have questions I don't own right now any big carrier but i have a completely empty room the problem here is the room is a bit big, is it save to keep here there?? because i read that the room supposed to be small so she can't run around.

kittyprincesss

Loving Mother of a Flower Petal
Adult Cat
Purraise
As long as there is nothing she can jump on after surgery, the room size should not matter. The main concern is the cat either jumping on something or getting into something and hurting their incision site.

Essentially baby proof the room, just make sure she can't climb on anything. Have a nice spot for her to lay down on, a blanket on a pillow for example. Have her food and water set up so she can easily reach it. Just make it cozy and relaxing for her post surgery.

ABEER SULIMAN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As long as there is nothing she can jump on after surgery, the room size should not matter. The main concern is the cat either jumping on something or getting into something and hurting their incision site.

Essentially baby proof the room, just make sure she can't climb on anything. Have a nice spot for her to lay down on, a blanket on a pillow for example. Have her food and water set up so she can easily reach it. Just make it cozy and relaxing for her post surgery.
THANK YOU!! Yes the room is completely empty expect from her bed and important stuff like water and food bowls and the litter box it's very cozy in there that i might go sleep in there with her lol, i was just worrying she might move or run alot sense she has a bit of a big space

kittyprincesss

Loving Mother of a Flower Petal
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thats how it was for my Ellie and she was perfectly safe which is all that matters; just make sure you check on her and make sure she is doing okay, and I too went and slept in there with her! It was our own little mansion, just the two of us. :clap: :)

ABEER SULIMAN

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thats how it was for my Ellie and she was perfectly safe which is all that matters; just make sure you check on her and make sure she is doing okay, and I too went and slept in there with her! It was our own little mansion, just the two of us. :clap: :)
Hahaha you made it sounds more fun I'll definitely be sleeping there now, im gonna make sure to check on her alot too
thank you for the assurance I really needed that!