I need advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

My cat had kittens about two weeks ago. 2 of the kittens eyes are all the way open, 1 is almost all the wat open and 2 of the kittens have one eye open and one eye with a kinda crusty bit between the eyelids... what can i do to help them get their eyes open?

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think gently wiping their eyes off with a warm soft cloth may help soften any gunk and allow them to open their eyes. Be super gentle and watch for signs of an eye infection. It probably wouldn't hurt to get them seen by a vet.

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just do what crystal said everyday and it should fix the problem, I Have seen many people suggest that. Hope everything goes well and it isn't an eye infection, Maybe post a picture of them and see if people think it's an eye infection just to make sure.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good advice! Just gently wipe with a warm, damp cloth until the crust softens and the eye opens.

Keep the eyes wiped and clear daily, but if you see green or yellow gunk, you’ll need a tube of terramycin antibiotic ointment for the eyes.

Your vet will carry it, and it’s available on Chewy without a prescription (except in California).

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After the second time wiping their eyes they are both open now😀thank you for the advice

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If i post pictures of my kittens behinds would someone be able to help me identify their genders. I wanted to take them to the vet but i do not have transport for it during the day

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, we specialize in that, lol. Let's see those booty pics!
My husband believes there are 3 males and 2 females. I just want to be sure cause neither of us really know 304B0F16-9C9E-4F80-AD2E-23FA575901D0.jpeg 9DE4F0A0-D544-49B4-8A0F-E63C73E62613.jpeg 76DEFC5F-491E-44A1-AAE6-943B1FF18187.jpeg 69688C48-8CDD-454F-B72A-54C0FB3DAEAF.jpeg 278ACC21-BAD1-4F73-AD90-098F45160CFC.jpeg

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The last two you don't even need to look at the genitals -- they're calicos, so virtually guaranteed to be female. And if the mom isn't orange or calico then the two orange ones are extremely likely to be boys.

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The last two you don't even need to look at the genitals -- they're calicos, so virtually guaranteed to be female. And if the mom isn't orange or calico then the two orange ones are extremely likely to be boys.
This is the best picture i found with mama. She is multi colored
4679E72A-B953-4F91-BB4A-A664450E3AE1.jpeg

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank tou every one!

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mama is a torbie with white/caliby (calico tabby), so if the dad was orange the orange kittens could have been girls, but they're definitely boys from the look of their genitals.

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is all so interesting! Its blowing my mind🤯

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good advice! Just gently wipe with a warm, damp cloth until the crust softens and the eye opens.

Keep the eyes wiped and clear daily, but if you see green or yellow gunk, you’ll need a tube of terramycin antibiotic ointment for the eyes.

Your vet will carry it, and it’s available on Chewy without a prescription (except in California).
How will i know if its pink eye? Mama's eyes and two of the other kittens looks fine, one kitten has a bit of a teary eye but no goo or anything and then the other two kittens had the crusty layer that i got off and i am cleaning their eyes about every 4-6 hrs. The one has quite a bit of goo inside his eyes that all wiped out after the crusty layer came off. We kind of got the cats by mistake...mama cat adopted us (she was a stray) a week before she gave birth. I would like to take them all to the vet but there are no funds for it at the moment... maybe in about a week or two. Other than the funds i dont have any transport during the day to take them. The car i can usually use is not an option because the person doesnt want the car to stink if mamma or the kittens have an accident and i understand that. I really love these cats and they have grown so close to my heart. I will try and upload a picture tomorrow morning if their eyes dont look better (i cleaned them before reading about uploading a picture). If anyone has advice i will really appreciate it. My husband suggested putting a couple of drops of milk into the water i use on their eyes? I have not done it yet because i dont aant to do anything that will make it worse

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You were right. She has 2 girls and three boys. The two calico (tricolor) ones are the girls
Any pictures of the little fur balls to share? Also how is your flea problem? My litter was born on the 13th of September and I have been gently flea combing them daily ever since.