I need advice

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a stray cat show up about a week ago. She is pregnant but i dont know how far along. I have not had a pregnant cat before but we have formed a really good bond. The first day we got her i could feel the babies move so i know she is past 5 weeks. I have a couple of places set up for her for when she goes into labor. Her favorite one is in an empty bedroom closet with a blanket and towel. I will attach some photos of her starting from last week to where we are now. her belly has gotten much bigger. She has also put on a bunch of weight since we have had her (i can feel her spine and hips less)
4403668F-A886-4895-AA6B-D4C322648E44.jpeg
479C3124-969B-43B6-9C20-16A887DB2491.jpeg
4403668F-A886-4895-AA6B-D4C322648E44.jpeg 479C3124-969B-43B6-9C20-16A887DB2491.jpeg 991D54C7-2DFF-42FE-9207-0581AE2DC08E.jpeg

Attachments

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her belly is huge in the last picture!! I doubt she is that far off of when she is due, sadly you can only really tell how far along she is by taking her into a vet. However, she is for sure nearing the end I would say. Please do make sure she has no fleas, The strays I brought in had lots and you don't want that around the kittens. The day of my cat giving birth she had mucus on her private parts and like 5 hours later she started to give birth so there will be signs. Sorry I couldn't tell you how far along she is, I asked the same question, Sadly it's just a waiting game.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her belly is huge in the last picture!! I doubt she is that far off of when she is due, sadly you can only really tell how far along she is by taking her into a vet. However, she is for sure nearing the end I would say. Please do make sure she has no fleas, The strays I brought in had lots and you don't want that around the kittens. The day of my cat giving birth she had mucus on her private parts and like 5 hours later she started to give birth so there will be signs. Sorry I couldn't tell you how far along she is, I asked the same question, Sadly it's just a waiting game.
Thank you! She did have bunch but i got one of those fine toothed combs and got a whole lot of them out, she still has a couple but i take them off as i see them

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! She did have bunch but i got one of those fine toothed combs and got a whole lot of them out, she still has a couple but i take them off as i see them
Is there anything i should be doing when she goes into labor? Anything spesific i should be wathing as i sign we need a vet?

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her first kitten was born at 4:50 this morning😅

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do get some KMR and related supplies in case you have to supplement feeding. Mama can use some of it as well.

The Kitten Lady on YouTube is an excellent resource on kitten rearing.

Last edited:

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:

Hi! So she has had 3 kittens and is doing really great with them! She might just be taking a break though because since right before her water broke she got extremely clingy and refused me to leave her until the first one was born, even with the three born already she is so attached to my husband and i that if we move out of her line of sight she will find us and bite us until we go back😂but she and her 3 babies are doing great! I will upload a picture when i get home tonight. Thank you for everyones help!

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She had some fleas, i combed out as many as i could (she didnt hve alot) and take them off as i see her. She didnt like the idea of a bath and i didnt want to stress her out to much as i didnt know how far along she is. Anyway...over the last two days she had the babies and some of them have like 1 flea on them and i take them off as i find them. I know she is okay with me touching them since she brought them to me a couple hours after they were born. What can i do about the fleas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Vacuum, wash bedding frequently, and apply a tube of Advantage II, Revolution, or Frontline between her shoulder blades. Continue flea combing daily.

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was expecting it cause i read about interrupted labor, she can wait up until 36 hrs untill she delivers the rest of the kittens (it usually happens when the owner leaves shortly after the first couple are born) like i had to for work. But yes she did amazing and they are so great!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are beautiful babies! I am so happy that all is well! Since you rescued her in her final stage of pregnancy, she probably has nutritional deficiencies and needs extra calcium. Extra KMR for mama kitty and high quality kitten food should help her in that regard. She is a very pretty cat and I shudder to think of how this happy experience would have been so different had you not rescued her in time :yess::rock::thanks::petcat::lovecat:

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! She did have bunch but I got one of those fine toothed combs and got a whole lot of them out, She still has a couple but I take them off as I see them
You need to put Frontline Plus on the back of her neck to truly kill them all. It can't be used on newborn kittens, but works for 30 days.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Judging by their fur, she definitely has at least two girls and at least one boy. The orange and white kitten is 75% likely to be a boy. The fifth kitten's sex is anyone's guess.